Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1911 Census: Missing People

• 01-11-2017 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭

Hi Guys.
    Probably a very typical question but i cant seem to find my grandmothers family on the online 1911 itish cencus. My grandmother was born in 1912 so she wont be on it yet i know she was one of the youngest of her family and i fo know the names of her parents and elder siblings. I also know where abouts she came from yet i can't find any matching records online. I have tried many name variations etc. but to no avail.

Could it be that they did'nt fill out the cencus at all for some reason? Or were this group of cencus lost? I was focusing on the Drimoleague area in West Cork but the name on the cencus appears as dromdaloch (which is the irish.)
    Any ideas where i can find them...or to broadan my search online?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Could it be that they were away from home on the night of the census?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'd be inclined to look at your grandmother's birth cert on www.irishgenealogy.ie and get the address they lived and the spelling used by her parents for their own names, then go back to the census and just search the names and Cork.

If you want to post up the names, we can possibly help you look.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

They could possibly be in one of the dozens of places which were missed by the microfilm operator.

My maternal grandfather could not be found in the 1901 census, although the buildings return and enumerator's extract were online.
    I viewed the microfilm, no luck! Eventually I got the actual paper forms, having given up virtually all hope. There it was, I thought I was dreaming.

First check the enumerator's extract for the locations you suspect your ancestors should be, you may find them, and take it from there.

In most cases however it is a matter of name variant, that is why it is so important to browse the location when you know or suspect an ancestor was resident.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

During the second last census, I reported seeing completed forms torn up and flapping around a railed off area in Dublin city centre. I don't know if anyone ever bothered to do anything about it. There are many reasons people might not be recorded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

You'll need to either post the names/location or PM them to some of us if we're to have any hope of helping.

I'm actually amazed at the high percentage of searches that do yield correct results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

"They could possibly be in one of the dozens of places which were missed by the microfilm operator."

Is there a list online anywhere with the details of these missing areas? I can't find my grandfather in 1911.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Carnalway, Co. Kildare which appears as both a townland and DED in 1911 is does not is not to be found in the 1901 Census. As the relevant families can't be found either I presume this is another example of missing census returns.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I believe John Grenham did a list of what was missing.

Yes he did.

And we've discussed it before on the forum.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Hermy wrote: »
    Carnalway, Co. Kildare which appears as both a townland and DED in 1911 is does not is not to be found in the 1901 Census. As the relevant families can't be found either I presume this is another example of missing census returns.
    There isn't an exact correlation between DEDs; Glasthule in 1901 becomes Kingstown No 4 in 1911 eg. But if the families are also missing well that's a different matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

hey Guys,
    Thanks so much for the replies and offers for help. I did as pinkypinky suggested and found my grandmothers birth cert. Her address was a different DED then where i was looking. It was in the same area I believed she was from though. From there i browsed this DED and found what I was looking for!

• Advertisement
Advertisement