Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Purchase from Irishtimes.com.

Options
  • 07-01-2012 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am completely stuck, and starting to get frustrated.. Any help at all would be very gratefully appreciated.

My mother has started trying to trace our family, She has been doing bit by bit for years, and decided to give it a proper commitment.

Anyway, She/we got stuck on her Great-Grandfather, in Laois, and searching brought us to many, many pay sites. Not knowing if one was better then the other, or worth any money, we found the IrishTimes website.

http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/surname/

Which led us to
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The table below shows the number of households in each county in the Primary Valuation property survey of 1847-64.
    Click on a county name for a breakdown of the number of households by parish (paying).
    [/FONT]

Which then asked for €7 to proceed. I thought, because it was the Irish Times, it would be safe enough.

After purchasing, (We chose Co. Laois), It only displays the number of households in each civil parish of Laois in 1851-2. :confused:

Even then, it Doesn't show, Mountrath, Portlaoise or Mountmellick. But i think Mountrath was in "Offerlane", Portaloise was in "Clonenagh and Clonagheen".

Which then leads me to this.

2q3rg5t.jpg

So what was the €7 for? Can i cancel that payment, as i got zero information, that i can make out, from them, and now they are asking me for more money?

Is this a scam? Could anyone tell me if i am missing something, apart from €7.00 and is there a better website, that is easier to maneuver through?

Also, i don't mind paying, but i would much prefer a site with a single one off payment, rather then paying €7 and then finding out i have to pay another €12.50 for information, i thought i had already paid for, and possibly another payment after that..

All i wanted was a name..

Yeeearrrggh.. Is this the start of "tracing my roots"? :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

As far as I know, that service gives you a list of sources to follow up for the location you chose - not actual details on individuals.

What sort of details, dates and locations are you interested in ?

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Did you try census.ie or Laois Co Library, where all info is free.

Allyall wrote: »
    Even then, it Doesn't show, Rathoath, Portlaoise or Mountmellick. But i think Mountrath was in "Offerlane", Portaloise was in "Clonenagh and Clonagheen".

The old name for Port Laois was Maryborough and it is in the civil parish of Borris, Mountmellick is split between the civil parishes of Rosenallis and Ardea... etc

You can check details of civil parishes, townland etc on the townland database at : www.seanruad.com

Note that Catholic parishes were often different in both name and areas covered compared to civil parishes.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Thanks for the replies :)
    shanew wrote: »
    As far as I know, that service gives you a list of sources to follow up for the location you chose - not actual details on individuals.

What sort of details, dates and locations are you interested in ?

Shane

Looking for a Bakery around (We think) 1846, In (Again, we think) Mountrath, named Fitzgeralds.

More Specifically, looking for his name, as this is where it seems to be a dead end.

My mother got some information from GenealogyLaois.ie from a friendly man, named Jack, saying that it appears in Maryborough, in Slaters 1846 (Probably where the 1846 came from)

But not sure if that is the same one we are looking for..
    Did you try census.ie or Laois Co Library, where all info is free.
    Tried Census.ie, but not sure where to look/what to look for.

Will be trying Laois Library when we get the chance to drive down, Have some info/contacts down there, so hopefully they will lead us somewhere.

shanew wrote: »
    The old name for Port Laois was Maryborough and it is in the civil parish of Borris, Mountmellick is split between the civil parishes of Rosenallis and Ardea... etc

You can check details of civil parishes, townland etc on the townland database at : www.seanruad.com

Note that Catholic parishes were often different in both name and areas covered compared to civil parishes.

Shane

Does that mean that Mountrath is the same? :confused::o

Not sure if this LINK (James Fitzgerald, Baker) is the same person, or if Mountrath was part of Maryborough then.

Thanks for that link, i'll have a look through it now.

what is the Ratoath reference from ?

edit : I know of a Ratoath in Co. Meath, but not aware of one near Port Loaise

S.

• Advertisement

Errr..

I think i mean, Mountrath, Sorry.. :o

Mountrath is in the Civil parish of "Clonenagh & Clonagheen"

Knowing the civil parish can be useful, especially if you are checking Griffith's Valuation records or Church of Ireland parish records. RC parishes can be different and cover several civil parishes. In this case the RC parishes for Port Laois and Mountrath are named after the towns. If you are based near Dublin then it might be worth a visit to the National Library - they have historic RC records on microfilm for most parishes. One point to note though is that early parish records are not very detailed - so you will often not see addresses, and RC records in particular dont usually show occupations.

If you are searching civil records (i.e. BMD certs) the location clue you need is the registration district - i.e. both Port Laois/Maryborough and Mountrath are in Mountmellick registration district.

Shane

Thank you very much.. Will be looking into this. Also will be heading into Dublin to have a look in the National library and National Archives.

Fingers Crossed we find what we have been looking for.

Advertisement