Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Archives file access?

Options
  • 27-05-2015 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello, whilst searching the archives on the National Archives .ie website I came across a file relating to an ancestor of mine.
    It relates to a financial claim for recompense due to damages caused to property during the 1920s.
    The information given online is as follows:

Title John Griffin, farmer, Kilkerry, Ballymacelligott, County Kerry.
    Reference FIN/COMP/2/8/654
    Date Jan 1923-Jan 1927
    Creator Department of Finance
    Scope and Content Farming tools and meadows destroyed at Kilkerry on 3 December 1921; file states that the claimant supplied milk to Slattery's Creamery and got threatening notices to stop but he did not do so.
    Extent 1 file
    Level of description file

My question is, is it possible to view the original file if I called into the National Archives in Bishop street and requested it.
    I've been there before but sometimes certain files are located offsite and need to be ordered beforehand, and others are simply not available to the public.
    Does anyone have experience viewing Dept. of Finance records at the National Archives (I've never tried before).
    It's a bit of a trek for me to get to the Dublin and I'd rather not waste a whole day in vain.

Anybody know?
    I've tried emailing the National Archives myself but got no reply.

Comments

Advertisement