Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family history

Options
  • 29-12-2011 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭

Where is the best place to look up you family history Or even some one to talk too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

all depends on the dates and also where your family lived.

Have a look at the stickies at the top of this forum to get an introduction to some of the sources available.

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

The best 'primary contact' is the census archive, which is available free online for 1901 and 1911.

After that you're realistically looking at newspaper articles or land surveys.

Beyond that, you're looking at local tenancy records or minor records that may not be immediately apparent, such as primary school records or local commercial records.

For anything beyond the second paragraph of this post, I would at least consider hiring a genealogist.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I don't agree with land10, there's a lot you can do before you'd consider hiring a genealogist. Yes, the census is important but the vital records are just as a important (births, deaths and marriages) and then parish records.

Like Shane said, read the stickies for some more pointers.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I don't agree with land10, there's a lot you can do before you'd consider hiring a genealogist. Yes, the census is important but the vital records are just as a important (births, deaths and marriages) and then parish records.

Like Shane said, read the stickies for some more pointers.

The census and the births deaths and marriages records will only provide you with names and family sizes.

Other, less obvious records, can provide you with a more graphic understanding of your forefathers, and these may be resources for which one may consider hiring a professional, depending on the level of interest or the time and commitment you can give to your project.

I agree that a DIY job would be far more satisfying, certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭cena

How much does one of these people cost to hire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

I've seen that a few Dublin based genealogists charge 40 yoyos p/h and you'd probably gave to pay for a block of research hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

If you just want someone to talk to before handing over hard earned cash Im more than willing to provide you with any advice I can (for free!). I'm a trained and experienced archivist and researcher and have done far too many genealogical enquiries for my own good! PM me if you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Paying a genealogist would be my last resort. Much more fun to try your own research first, but be warned, it takes years of all this fun!! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Why don't you give us an idea of what you already know and what you'd hope to achieve. We can advise on whether it's worth talking to a professional (which some of us are).

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

Like others say, it depends on how far if at all you've already gotten with your family, if your only starting out then there are plenty of resources to keep you busy with your family tree, if you think you've exhausted all avenues already then some posts here might help, some people posting on these boards are a wealth of information and myself I wouldn't have gotten as far as I have without their help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭cena

I know a good bit of my mothers side. but not much of my fathers side. We have family in malta but a cousin in the u.s tried to find them but couldn't

Advertisement