Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AliExpress Czech Warehouse VAT

Options
  • 23-01-2021 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi everyone. Hoping someone here can advise me. I've never bought anything from AliExpress before but it is the only place I can find the yoke I'm after in stock in Europe. They seem to have a warehouse in the Czech Republic and I can select to have the product shipped from there. My question is can I get stung for VAT or import duty and An Post handling fee if it ships from the Czech warehouse? I know if I ordered from a normal Czech shop it would be ok but I am getting conflicting answers about AliExpress when I Google it. The product is €220 so I'd really rather not. Have any of you had any experience of the AliExpress EU warehouses? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

j<>c wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Hoping someone here can advise me. I've never bought anything from AliExpress before but it is the only place I can find the yoke I'm after in stock in Europe. They seem to have a warehouse in the Czech Republic and I can select to have the product shipped from there. My question is can I get stung for VAT or import duty and An Post handling fee if it ships from the Czech warehouse? I know if I ordered from a normal Czech shop it would be ok but I am getting conflicting answers about AliExpress when I Google it. The product is €220 so I'd really rather not. Have any of you had any experience of the AliExpress EU warehouses? Thanks
    Depends on if you pay vat at point of sale.
    An example for you is germany is EU same as ireland but with brexit highlighted
    and german government reduced vat for covid.
    i purchase from germany and they add the difference between the low german rate
    and irish rate onto my bill which i am billed for at point of sale ( goods value under euro 150).
    IT is just another reason eu was fake and fail.
    it should be all vat and tax free and pay in your own country.
    the extra paperwork and accounting because 1 eu country drops rate to help citizens and
    aid economy during pandemic whilst
    irish revenue just continues to take high rate.
    (have to pay for those two recent pay rises for politicians).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

jelem wrote: »
    Depends on if you pay vat at point of sale.
    An example for you is germany is EU same as ireland but with brexit highlighted
    and german government reduced vat for covid.
    i purchase from germany and they add the difference between the low german rate
    and irish rate onto my bill which i am billed for at point of sale ( goods value under euro 150).
    IT is just another reason eu was fake and fail.
    it should be all vat and tax free and pay in your own country.
    the extra paperwork and accounting because 1 eu country drops rate to help citizens and
    aid economy during pandemic whilst
    irish revenue just continues to take high rate.
    (have to pay for those two recent pay rises for politicians).

This post is wittering, unhelpful, off-topic and indeed factually wrong.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anyway, an item being shipped from the Czech Republic to a consumer should have VAT charged at point of sale (either Czech or Irish rates, depending on how much that seller sells) and land here without any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

Just an FYI, Ordered from Czech republic on ali and it said DHL delivery. But is been 6 days and now the tracking says it will be passed over to An post. The tracking number was never a DHL. So be prepared to wait 2 weeks at least for the package.

DHL can also mean the bog standard package service of Germany; unless it says DHL Express it probably doesn't mean the courier service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭deandean

Last Summer I ordered from Gearbest, about €300 in value, delivery from their warehouse in Czech republic by snail mail. I arrived after about 2 weeks, no additional charges at all. All good!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

deandean wrote: »
    Last Summer I ordered from Gearbest, about €300 in value, delivery from their warehouse in Czech republic by snail mail. I arrived after about 2 weeks, no additional charges at all. All good!

Pure curiosity: Why would there be even a hint of a suggestion of additional charges from within the EU last summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 j<>c

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Pure curiosity: Why would there be even a hint of a suggestion of additional charges from within the EU last summer?

I came across someone in the thread about the new VAT regime for 2021 on imports and someone said they ordered from either Banggood or Gearbest from their Dutch warehouse and were charged vat and the an post fee, hence my confusion.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I attempted to proceed with the purchase and selected the Czech warehouse. Then when I proceeded to checkout it said it was only available from China. My God AliExpress is a poxy website!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Is it possible to contact an AliExpress seller?

I cannot see the option on any product page.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭corkie

Is it possible to contact an AliExpress seller?

I cannot see the option on any product page.

If you put through an order, there is a method to contact seller on orders.

Other than that on the product page, hover over the store name and you will see a contact button.
    ^^^ Using web browser, unsure about app.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

phester28 wrote: »
    Just an FYI, Ordered from Czech republic on ali and it said DHL delivery. But is been 6 days and now the tracking says it will be passed over to An post. The tracking number was never a DHL. So be prepared to wait 2 weeks at least for the package.

Just to say I got my package today without issue.

It wasnt package all that great and had been roughly treated. The bag had a tear and the cardboard box had a tear through it. Thankfully there are no small parts with my order so no issue.

Advertisement