Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Like for Like Courtesy Car question

Options
  • 19-01-2021 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I own an EV. I have seen other EV owners needing to leave cars with garages for a few days and be given use of a courtesy car. However, in many cases, people appeared to maybe get Plugin Hybrids or plain and simple petrols or diesels.

So where does one stand in terms of insisting that you get a like for like replacement - EV for an EV. The issue is down to the running cost of an ICE vs an EV. If there was a strange fault or one where the garage had to wait for a replacement part to come in from abroad, you could be waiting a few weeks and be a hundred or two down financially.

Thankfully I've had absolutely no issues with mine, but forewarned is forearmed !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The clue is in the description, courtesy car.

Just so you don’t feel hard done by, my Range Rover was in the garage recently, JLR, the rotters, gave me a 5 series while they fixed an electrical issue. I don’t feel hard done by though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's a courtesy. It's not an entitlement

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭swampy353

And if they didn't give you a courtesy car (no matter what type) you would be left renting a car (and paying for fuel) or going nowhere, which would be a hell of a lot more expensive then having the cover the cost of fuel for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭championc

I suppose I was more meaning a situation where you were forced to leave your car with the garage due to a car defect, which would be a defect covered by warranty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You'd need to read the terms of the warranty as any courtesy car is going to be provided by that - not by consumer rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

championc wrote: »
    I suppose I was more meaning a situation where you were forced to leave your car with the garage due to a car defect, which would be a defect covered by warranty.

It's still a courtesy car.

There is no obligation under warranty to provide a courtesy vehicle. Most manufacturers have service charters and try to provide one but it is not a legal requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

What makes you think your are entitled to any particular car?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

If you brought a TV back to power city to be sent for repair, you wouldn't expect a lend of a TV, nor the exact same model

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

OP, did you just start this thread to tell us you own an EV?

Advertisement