Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bought house- concerning neighbor behavior

Options
  • 13-01-2019 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We have gone sale agreed and signing contracts this week for our house.

We have checked the area inside out over the last 6 months all hours of night and mornings..... all looked great.

Well, this evening we did a drive over as we do many evening planning what we will be/want to do to it once we get the keys.

While we were there, we pulled in outside and two people came out from the house opposite ours and were screaming and shouting and one another. This escalated and then went across into our property to be and got pretty violent. We then decided to get ready to go but we wanted to make sure they weren’t going to damage the house we were buying.

We obviously didn’t get involved but we made out what they were saying. The fight was over heroin and money owed to them. The girls were killing each other until eventually one of the girls got what looked like drugs and went back into the house.

We were shocked, I know this can go on anywhere, but to go on literally in our garden we will be hoping planting trees and plants in in a few weeks time, last thing we want is syringes in the garden.

Is there anything anyone could advise we could do, obviously they haven’t done anything to us other than that and don’t want to start off getting in bad books with them but we are very concerned now.

We love the area and know this can happen anywhere but we don’t want it on our doorstep and especially in our own garden!

Thanks, and I’m not drugs bashing by any means, just don’t want it at my front door.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Ugh

It's too easy to just say run. But probably the best advice.

They renting?

They both live there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭votecounts

If you have not signed contracts, i would consider buying elsewhere. Do you want to put up with this behaviour for months, years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

As far as we can gather they are renting, really was a shock as we did so much research into the area and walked numerous times through it.

Not sure what to do, due to sign contracts Tuesday
    Ugh

It's too easy to just say run. But probably the best advice.

They renting?

They both live there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Sorry but run, probably why the people are selling tbh.

It’s not what you need, especially if you have kids or are planning on having kids soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Have a chat to other neighbours and see what the story is.

That could have been a once in a blue moon thing or it could be daily.

Find out before doing anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Nothing signed? walk away life is too short to put up with that crap.

Where is the house exactly?
    Maybe people herecould advise about the area.
    Drug addicts can rent anywhere.....

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

bri007 wrote: »
    Hi all,

We have gone sale agreed and signing contracts this week for our house.

We have checked the area inside out over the last 6 months all hours of night and mornings..... all looked great.

Well, this evening we did a drive over as we do many evening planning what we will be/want to do to it once we get the keys.

While we were there, we pulled in outside and two people came out from the house opposite ours and were screaming and shouting and one another. This escalated and then went across into our property to be and got pretty violent. We then decided to get ready to go but we wanted to make sure they weren’t going to damage the house we were buying.

We obviously didn’t get involved but we made out what they were saying. The fight was over heroin and money owed to them. The girls were killing each other until eventually one of the girls got what looked like drugs and went back into the house.

We were shocked, I know this can go on anywhere, but to go on literally in our garden we will be hoping planting trees and plants in in a few weeks time, last thing we want is syringes in the garden.

Is there anything anyone could advise we could do, obviously they haven’t done anything to us other than that and don’t want to start off getting in bad books with them but we are very concerned now.

We love the area and know this can happen anywhere but we don’t want it on our doorstep and especially in our own garden!

Thanks, and I’m not drugs bashing by any means, just don’t want it at my front door.

Its Heroin not just any drug!. Users have been known to do just about anything to get their fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Walk away and thank your lucky stars you happened to come upon the scene before you exchanged contracts and not after.
    Better luck next time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Are you saying that those are tenants who are still in in situ in the house a few days before you exchange contracts? I'd walk away and start looking elsewhere. It's a horrifying situation but the correct decision. I was messed around myself for a year before withdrawing and buying a different place so I understand. Before even thinking about the neighbours etc, you can almost guarantee there'll be a long drawn-out process trying to get rid of them.

Edit: sorry I misread your post, thought they had some interaction with the occupants of "your house." Still though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Run and don't look back, you have had a very lucky escape. I had similiar problem few years back. A young single mother moved in next door and countless youngsters were calling to house, parties and the air thick with cannabis smell, fighting and screaming could be heard at all hours of the night. Eventually after a long time, council moved her but it was very scary and upsetting at the time to have to put up with it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

That's some serious due diligence, fair play. I want to ask where this is but I'm not sure I care, I just think that's a red line I couldn't cross

EDIT - also thread title is wholly inaccurate, you've bought nothing yet, DO NOT feel obliged to follow through on this purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

You exist. That puts you automatically into their bad books I'm afraid. Expect to be robbed night and day when they need money - and they will need it - as heroin users don't generally fall under the 'better not **** on my doorstep' category of forward thinkers, unfortunately like so many other societal undesirables at least do.

Think; You reckon there might be a reason you just happened to arrive there and at that time?
    Personally? I wouldn't bother buying a lotto ticket. All your luck just went into this massive, glaring, flapping red warning flag. Use it wisely..

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

The fact that you’ve been there many times and just days before you’ve to sign this happens, someone is watching over you. Maybe take the hint and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

If you can pull out of that contract full stop. Your life will be hell. That fight will suck the life out of you. Sorry to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'd agree with most on here, walk away, it's not worth the hassle.

I've had neighbours like this in a house I was renting. Take it from me it's an absolute nightmare.

At least I had the option to up and leave though, you won't.

Sorry to be such a downer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

It’s quite ok to bash heroin. Watch the original Trainspotting.

Always a good idea to chat to the neighbours before signing on the dotted line.

If you do proceed you will need to ramp up security - boundary walls, gate, cctv, alarm, dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

No house is worth dealing with a heroin problem.

You are under no obligation to sign and exchange those contracts on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

It's stories like this make me glad that I live in the middle of the country with not a neighbour in sight, jeez I couldn't cope with that kind of carry on

OP I presume this is in Dublin, I've family members living in different parts of Dublin without a problem, what area is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Probably why the current owners are selling up. Just move on elsewhere.

GoneHome wrote: »
    It's stories like this make me glad that I live in the middle of the country with not a neighbour in sight, jeez I couldn't cope with that kind of carry on

Most people don't live beside neighbors with heroin problems

lawred2 wrote: »
    Most people don't live beside neighbors with heroin problems

It's the risk you take though buying in certain areas isn't it

Indeed. But you don't have to go to the middle of nowhere to avoid it. It's not like every second house in Urban areas has a drug problem.

Either way, the OP been given a chance most people don't get. The chance to get out before it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Pull out now. 13 years ago, I moved into an estate which had drug problems. At the time, I didn't know about it but it made my life hell. If there's users, there could be dealers and that attracts more users. We had bins burnt out, blocks thrown through windows and warnings painted on our driveway because we tried to stand up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

You have found out a very useful piece of information that has a direct bearing on the value of the property you are potentially buying, I'm sure the fact there is a heroine problem on your doorstep wasn't disclosed in the sale pack sent to your solicitor.

You've been dealt a wild card, it's up to you how you play it. Personally, if I liked the general area and wanted to live there, before contracts are signed I would use this as a reason to get your solicitor to request full disclosure on the issue, request disclosure on whether the valuer was made aware of this when setting the sale price, ask what steps are being taken communally to address the issue, ask if the Gardai and the Local Authority are aware of the situation, and what's being done to sort it out.

You are now in a position to renegotiate terms, as well as the actual sale price. Certainly sign no contract under current conditions.

Be prepared to walk away, or if you are not willing to do the above, just walk away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

get your solicitor to request full disclosure on the issue, request disclosure on whether the valuer was made aware of this when setting the sale price, ask what steps are being taken communally to address the issue, ask if the Gardai and the Local Authority are aware of the situation, and what's being done to sort it out.

Just FYI that is not the type of thing that your solicitor would be advised of either way. But you can make all of these enquiries yourself, go to the Gardaí, talk to the neighbours, etc. The estate agent is not under any obligation to disclose anything that relates to another property. You are responsible for your own due diligence, and thankfully you did that and you've got your answer.

Don't ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are you sure your not jumping to assumptions, It got pretty violent did someone beat someone else, was there blood? How do you know it was heroin they were hardly shouting you owe me some heroin, you also assumed it was heroin one gave the other, you've no proof of this. It all seems a bit too energetic for smack heads.
    Regardless of the herion I wouldn't pay good money to move in beside bad neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,683 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Drugs are in every single county and town in Ireland. For anyone that thinks drugs aren't within a couple of kilometres of them I'd have a chat to the local guards. They'll put you straight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

You could go to the local gardai and say you are looking at buying a house on that street. Off the record they might just confirm what you have witnessed.

As others have said run like the wind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement