Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overly Expensive ?

Options
  • 12-07-2017 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭

https://www.donedeal.ie/adview/view/13633730

Hey guys been looking around and thinking of investing in one of these , This one is fairly local to me but the price seems pretty high especially with just a one player set up what do you guys think ? expert opinion

Comments

No info on the PC.
    And the buttons/stick have no wrist support so I guarantee its a killer to play for more than 5mins .

I do like the styling and finish looks good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The seller is taking offers so, I'd say take a chance, once you know what the innards are.
    I think if you could get a discount, go for it, depending on what it can run, and run well.
    No point on it emulating Playstation if it does so at 3 frames a second

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

He just said it's running raspberry pi and a computer with a 2 tb hard drive didn't give any other specs what else should I be looking out for

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

He should be able to get you the specs of the PC that he is using, the screenshot show Win 7 safe boot menu and Hyperspin so definitely not using a Raspberry Pi.
    So what's the Pi being used for ?
    Does it have a shutdown switch ? Just killing the power to a Windows PC the whole time is a great way to trash the drive.

I don't know he seemed very evasive of questions that alone is enough to put me off especially with the amount of money were talking. I think I'd rather one with 2 players anyway. What is the going rate of these things anyway like is 500 what that guy was asking fair ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Buy an old 4:3 Lcd monitor or even pick one up free, buy a wooden bar top kit, joystick, buttons and a jamma harness and old computer PSU and you can use a Pandora's box or any multi game for that matter inc raspberry pi or pc.
    In total will be a lot less than €500 unless you use top of the range buttons/stick/setc

500 what that guy was asking fair ?

This things are all custom made so "fair" is hard to put a price on.
    In most cases you can just add up the value of the parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I agree. Sure if anyone here valued by the hour for arcade machines I'd be sitting on 10k with my Star Trek pin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

The t-molding looks wonky on the bottom right of picture 2. I think it's too wide for the wood as well, maybe.

See I'm caught in between I kind of know what I want but I'm also open to compromise ideally I'd love a custom made cab but I'm also open to buying a already made one as long as it 2 player and has all the games etc on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you're going to be spending that kind of money then you should be getting exactly what you want.

Quick search on ebay and there are some two player setup ones for cheaper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BARTOP-ARCADE-MACHINE-JAMMA-RETROPIE-20-LED-SCREEN-2-PLAYER-6-BUTTON-A-SIDE-/262965198989?hash=item3d39f2808d:g:Yn8AAOSwONBZCc6p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

How handy are you with a jigsaw?

Its not nearly as hard as people think to build a bartop. Plenty of plans around that you can tweak etc

How handy are you with a jigsaw?

Its not nearly as hard as people think to build a bartop. Plenty of plans around that you can tweak etc

I wouldn't even chance building my own one , I'm absolutely hopeless at building flat pack stuff let alone actually doing manual cutting etc

o1s1n wrote: »
    If you're going to be spending that kind of money then you should be getting exactly what you want.

Quick search on ebay and there are some two player setup ones for cheaper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BARTOP-ARCADE-MACHINE-JAMMA-RETROPIE-20-LED-SCREEN-2-PLAYER-6-BUTTON-A-SIDE-/262965198989?hash=item3d39f2808d:g:Yn8AAOSwONBZCc6p

Hey man thanks for this I followed the ebay link to there online shop and this seems to be the best way forward for me and a bit cheaper than the ones I was looking at aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

I can build one to suit your needs?

Hey Mitch Pm me and I can give ya some details or at least give you some idea of what I'm looking for

Advertisement