Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wii consoles at CEX

• 09-07-2017 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭

Seen them advertised for 22e on cex. Does anyone know if they come with cables, power supply, game pad? Or is it just purely the console itself?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Seen them advertised for 22e on cex. Does anyone know if they come with cables, power supply, game pad? Or is it just purely the console itself?

I would say that is for the system, all the cables, sensor bar, a Wii remote and nunchuck.
    That is, everything you need bar the telly and a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭doxy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I would say that is for the system, all the cables, sensor bar, a Wii remote and nunchuck.
    That is, everything you need bar the telly and a game.

Nice one. Can't go wrong there for 22e!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And you can soft mod that thing right away, do some interesting things with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭doxy

sugarman wrote: »
    Let us know if they do, worth it for the Wiimote alone! They've them listed as €20 on their own:eek:

Yea it's the prices of the accessories there that made me wonder if the console comes with no controllers etc. I'll probably not get a chance to call in until the weekend, but I'll let you know how I get on!

There's still a nice range of titles on the system, plus it works with Gamecube games too.
    It's worth investing in a GC controller as a result, a real one.
    Mario Galaxy and the sequel, Metroid Prime Trilogy, plenty of choice there, disregarding the naff stuff on the format.
    Another bonus is the cheap price of much of the systems content now, while Gamecube games are getting more expensive, it's hard to see how much cheaper Wii games are going to get before the inevitable bounce in a couple of years and people recognise the genius of the likes of the previously mentioned Mario Galaxy titles.

• Advertisement

Only the early Wii's support gamecube, think they removed compatibility after a couple of years, easy enough to see if it does by flipping the top cover and seeing are the controller ports there.

There was a lousy second gen one wasn't there!
    Good call!
    No GC compatibility there.
    Stay away too from the sh1tty Wii Mini, just substandard muck, poorly made.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

How would a soft modded Wii work as a retro emulator machine??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

sugarman wrote: »
    Brilliantly, probably the best console there has been for it and its so easy to do. It has its pros and cons like anything, biggest downfall is probably lack of HDMI. Looks great via component but not all TVs have that, and it also only outputs via 480p.

I have a Pie, Wii and Original Xbox modded for emulation and I always find myself going back to the Wii... It just feels right.. especially if youre playing NES, SNES, N64 and GC games with the original style controller. I also love the channel layout and the apps themselves, how they can be organized categorically with cover art etc...

For €22 you can not go wrong.

I have one here already softmodded.Whats the easiest way to get the emulator on to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I picked one up. It did comes with all the cables, sensor bar, wii remote, and a nunchuck.

I managed to softmod it (fairly easy process), but haven't done anything else with it so far. Does anyone know if a USB controller like the one below would work with the SNES/NES/Megdrive etc emulators?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Electronics-Photo/Buffalo-BSGP801GY-Classic-USB-Gamepad-PC/B002B9XB0E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500496585&sr=8-1&keywords=buffalo+usb+controller

• Advertisement

It's really handy as already said.
    And once they are on there it's a matter of installing the game files you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,248 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My local Oxfam in town has about 15 Wiis (console only)

Selling them off for a tenner each at the moment. The urge to buy them all is hard to resist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

o1s1n wrote: »
    My local Oxfam in town has about 15 Wiis (console only)

Selling them off for a tenner each at the moment. The urge to buy them all is hard to resist!
    Where is that? I'd buy one just for the wii more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,248 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oxfam home store on Francis Street :) was over there 10 minutes ago and there are still a few left. Almost picked up a black one, but ended up buying a stove heater instead :pac:

At least you'll be able to run Doom

On a stove heater??
    Wow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

The flames are so life like.

"He's been staring into the window on the front of the stove, thinks he's playing Doom, we don't have to heart to tell him otherwise... poor lad"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    On a stove heater??
    Wow!

I hear Skyrim will run on it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

The only problem with those cheap cex consoles is they give third party controllers, which are rubbish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement