Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I repeat? Or go for GEM

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

It was just an observation that there are 6 med schools here, and it's a small country...I wasn't making comments at reducing students, the problem of people leaving is due to poor pay and working conditions.

So back to the topic, for the LC students, you can do a science degree and grad med in 7 years, if all goes to plan, or repeat and do med in either 5 or 6 years makingi 6 or 7 in total!

PC11 you seem fairly up to speed with GAMSAT etc, what do you think will happen to the scores this year, stay the same or increase/decrease....Do you think the fact that the scores being in the same percentiles as last year will be an indication that scores may stay the same?

Or they could do another 3 year degree like Arts or Commerce. I have my own thoughts on the relative merits of the various degrees, but some people here don't like to hear that different degrees are easier or harder.

Well, predicting in general is a mug's game. Look at the posts here from a few years ago predicting GAMSAT scores would continue to go up, they were wide of the mark.

I don't really have any special understanding of the percentile curves or GAMSAT marking however, and I'm a little sceptical of those who claim such knowledge.

That said, I can't see them going up. Apart from the financial challenge, I have a theory that there was a pent-up demand for graduates to do medicine before GEM started and the first few years partly satisfied that, so the pool of candidates may have eased a little by now. Just an idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

Taco Chips wrote: »
    Don't you think that misjudging the costs of GEM and the huge commitment of those loans is a sign of immaturity?

Ah here, that's quite a reach. We take these loans because we have to. We have no other way. That's actually quite an unfair statement and even a bit cruel TBH. Don't underestimate how intense a pressure that money troubles can be on people. Hopefully you won't ever feel that but you may. I could turn your point around and ask how many undergrads are doing it because there's little risk, but let's not do that.
    So how many students in GEM are sticking with the course even if they don't like it just because the debt pile up is too much to back out of?

If I dropped out of GEM I would be much BETTER off financially as I would just return to IT. There's no way I would stick at it and accumulate more debt if I hated it when I could easily get a high paying job. Speaking for the older GEMs, we are generally earning much more now than a junior doctor will earn for years. We are choosing to quit established careers for this, so you can assume we have thought it through pretty well, by and large. If people's money circumstances change, that's not necessarily a reflection of their judgement, you know.

Isn't parental pressure a factor for GEMs students too?

Ah here, again. Some of us are in our 30s and even 40s. One would assume parental pressure is long, long gone by now. If anything, our parents will think we're crazy giving up established jobs and our lives for GEM.
    And college is a maturing experience. The person they are when they enter at 17 will be completely different to who they are when they leave at 22. And all the better for it.

Right, you're making my point for me. All experience changes you, including college, work, life, travel, etc. This is exactly what I was saying.
    My impression from reading online and talking to many doctors was that there was nothing wrong with undergrad model, far from it. It's been producing high quality doctors for many years. But unis wanted a way to ramp up their income and in the process shouldered older 'mature' students with an enormous debt mountain in the process. Hardly something that should be encouraged.

Yup, I said undergrads can certainly be excellent doctors. No-one here said anything about 600 point students being anti-social except you. And if you're saying GEMs have too much debt, I totally agree with you! I would be all for having our debt mountain reduced, that's for sure. As we have shorter careers, it's a tough mountain to climb. But that's not a reflection on GEMs, that's a reflection on the system. It's not our fault the fees are so high, it's not our fault the funds are hard to get, it's not our fault the career opportunities are restricted. But you know what? You too will spend most of your adult life in debt, get used to it.

You know, I've been very careful not to criticise undergrads, but you're having quite a go at GEMs. Not cool. You sound a bit threatened in fact, no idea why.
    And there are plenty of mature students (in the traditional sense) and people who already have degrees (Canadians/Americans) in my year. Guess what, the top rankings of the class are still filled with a majority of LC entrants. Then a mixture of everyone around the middle and the bottom end.

That may well be, I don't know, and whether that means anything is an open question. Again, you seem to be insulting GEMs. Why, I don't know.

Again, no-one is criticising undergrads. It's not about undergrad and GEM being in opposition, I was pretty careful to say that. Why can't we all just get along?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

pc11 wrote: »
    Yup, I said undergrads can certainly be excellent doctors. No-one here said anything about 600 point students being anti-social except you. And if you're saying GEMs have too much debt, I totally agree with you! I would be all for having our debt mountain reduced, that's for sure. As we have shorter careers, it's a tough mountain to climb. But that's not a reflection on GEMs, that's a reflection on the system. It's not our fault the fees are so high, it's not our fault the funds are hard to get, it's not our fault the career opportunities are restricted. But you know what? You too will spend most of your adult life in debt, get used to it.

You know, I've been very careful not to criticise undergrads, but you're having quite a go at GEMs. Not cool. You sound a bit threatened in fact, no idea why.

That may well be, I don't know, and whether that means anything is an open question. Again, you seem to be insulting GEMs. Why, I don't know.

Again, no-one is criticising undergrads. It's not about undergrad and GEM being in opposition, I was pretty careful to say that. Why can't we all just get along?

I'm not insulting GEMs, I'm just challenging an attitude that is definitely out there about GEMs being assumed to be better students than undergrads. It may not be explicit but it's definitely there and it's disrespectful. Trust me I don't feel threatened by any GEMs, or any other student for that matter. It just irks me when people are quick to jump on the 'older students are better than younger' train.

Anyway this has gotten silly so I don't want to get into it further, I think I've made my feelings known. Please know that I wasn't insulting GEMs in any way, I have admiration for their commitment and med school is hard for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

WoolahUrma wrote: »

As far as I know geOr LC a bunch of jumped up, socially awkward children that are mad to make mommmy and daddy super proud?m students tend to finished higher in their class than school leavers. I dont think that that's a reflection of their higher intelligence, it's the maturity level, I think.

As far as I know they don't actually, what would make you think that?
    Or LC a bunch of jumped up, socially awkward children that are mad to make mommmy and daddy super proud?

In fairness its probably the same for some grads, they just didnt get in first time round..

Don't get me wrong, I think that grad med is great and there will be many people with degrees that are useful and who have a real passion for medicine and will be great doctors but I feel that the current system isn't selective enough. Now almost anyone who can afford to can do it whilst many young people may just miss out on a place o people far better suited just can't afford it...

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭WoolahUrma

As far as I know they don't actually, what would make you think that?

In fairness its probably the same for some grads, they just didnt get in first time round..

Don't get me wrong, I think that grad med is great and there will be many people with degrees that are useful and who have a real passion for medicine and will be great doctors but I feel that the current system isn't selective enough. Now almost anyone who can afford to can do it whilst many young people may just miss out on a place o people far better suited just can't afford it...

The sarcasm obviously didn't jump off the page then? That line was ment to poke fun at the sentiment expressed toward some LC entrants on this thread. To clarify, that is not my opinion of LC entrants. My understanding is that gem people do better overall in the degree. Ill have to post a link up to where I read that later on. Almost anyone who can afford it gets in? Going by what I've read that is not the case. The gamsat requires what the institutions regard as the intelligence required. Do you know better? Could the same argument be levelled at those who attend grinds schools? If you want to go down the "privileged people are disproportionately represented in med" route, then you can wipe alot of the LC grinds school out as well and move to a system that takes your class rank into account.

If your going to kick out "the privileged", you'll be sending a hefty percentage of the LC crowd home as well.

Maybe they could introduce interviews which would weed out a few right goofs from both sides of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

WoolahUrma wrote: »
    The sarcasm obviously didn't jump off the page then? That line was ment to poke fun at the sentiment expressed toward some LC entrants on this thread. To clarify, that is not my opinion of LC entrants. My understanding is that gem people do better overall in the degree. Ill have to post a link up to where I read that later on. Almost anyone who can afford it gets in? Going by what I've read that is not the case. The gamsat requires what the institutions regard as the intelligence required. Do you know better? Could the same argument be levelled at those who attend grinds schools? If you want to go down the "privileged people are disproportionately represented in med" route, then you can wipe alot of the LC grinds school out as well and move to a system that takes your class rank into account.

If your going to kick out "the privileged", you'll be sending a hefty percentage of the LC crowd home as well.

Maybe they could introduce interviews which would weed out a few right goofs from both sides of it

I agree about there being some privilged leaving certers, but I thought one of the points of grad med was that the intelligent, non-priviliged could get in after their undergrad.
    As for the gamsat requiring what the universities regard as the intelligence required, I don't really see how this is the case as there is no minimum cut off?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭WoolahUrma

I agree about there being some privilged leaving certers, but I thought one of the points of grad med was that the intelligent, non-priviliged could get in after their undergrad.
    As for the gamsat requiring what the universities regard as the intelligence required, I don't really see how this is the case as there is no minimum cut off?

I agree that the fees are getting too high and it's going that way but to be honest, for most people that are considering it, it is doable. Get the loan, pay it off eventually. Thats the way it is in the UK and the states for undergrad.

I've met a few lads now that will be doing the course and I've spoken to a few more. I think that that characterises them fairly well. Intellectually capable and diverse (psychology, pharmacy, philosophy, something else begining with p, law etc) passionate about doing medicine.

Final point; 485 is the minimum points for med in ucd but I think 535 were the lowest points before hpat to get in. Does someone who gets 550ish having repeated in a private college turn out to be a better doctor than the guy who gets 500 first time out, does a degree in whatever and does gem? I doubt it and for that matter, if a guy gets 600 points in a public school, is he going to be a better doctor then the guy that scrapes by having repeated in a fee paying school? I don't think that I could say yes with any degree of certainty. I reckon that the 485 is what they think is the requirment to pass the exams during the course. The higher points that we're looking at in LC entry is more a reflection of how competitive it is for the places that are there. Both arguments are a bit redundant. Once you can pass the exams that are set during the course then you have what it takes so to speak.

Final final point; What does it matter? I honestly don't think that either route produces better doctors. This arguement gets a bit septic when you starts to point out the pros and cons of either route as grads and undergrads alike take some of these points as a personal slight against them. Regarding minimum gamsat score, I agree that there should be a minimum. UL at the moment has the lowest cut off but from what I've heard, that's no reflection on the course which in terms of workload is the toughest in Ireland. So, again, if they are not able for the profession, rest assured, they won't make it through the four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭nomoreexams

I have to say after reading through some of the ludicrous arguments on this thread I have to say I find this childish and churlish. There are pros and cons to being either an undergrad or a GEM. As far as I'm concerned we're all in the same boat- and we all have a struggle ahead of us fighting against a government and a public who doesn't see our problems as a priority so to have us undermining each other is foolish.

To answer the question of the thread, I did a non-science degree and started a career. I'm glad I did it this way. I'm a lot more confident now than I was post LC and trust my instinct now without doubting myself. This confidence came from working- not from studying. Had I opted to do medicine from LC I would have made a terrible doctor. This was just me. An absolute subjective reason for why I'm happy with my decision to go off and work and make mistakes and live a little. I don't doubt that there are some very sociable, caring, intelligent people who will make fantastic doctors that start med as an undergrad but there's no harm is having a mix of people in med just as there is in every other career out there. So in my opinion it's no harm to have a degree in another discipline (as someone else said, you might love it) there is the major issue of the increase cost of doing it this way though, once you're aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Ana27 wrote: »
    I know this is possibly a stupid question- why didn't I try harder first time round?

But, I really want to do medicine, have just finished the leaving this week and know I am not getting the points.

Should I do a science degree (that's what's on my cao now) and go for GEM in 4 years, or repeat now and try and get in as an undergrad?

Please help! Don't know what to do right now! Thanks
    Repeat. I was 19 doing the LC the first time, did very well, and still regret not repeating.
    I've just finished my 3rd year in a Science degree (doing very well in it and enjoying it), but still regret not repeating.
    GEM & a BSc in a biomedical-related Science is a solidly great idea, if it wasn't for the seriously exorbitant costs of the courses. Sure, a degree in Physiology is the best preparation for GEM, but don't underestimate free fees, ever. I still want to do medicine after my degree, and have a good GAMSAT score, but the fees are simply frightening.
    I have to say after reading through some of the ludicrous arguments on this thread I have to say I find this childish and churlish. There are pros and cons to being either an undergrad or a GEM. As far as I'm concerned we're all in the same boat- and we all have a struggle ahead of us fighting against a government and a public who doesn't see our problems as a priority so to have us undermining each other is foolish.

To answer the question of the thread, I did a non-science degree and started a career. I'm glad I did it this way. I'm a lot more confident now than I was post LC and trust my instinct now without doubting myself. This confidence came from working- not from studying. Had I opted to do medicine from LC I would have made a terrible doctor. This was just me. An absolute subjective reason for why I'm happy with my decision to go off and work and make mistakes and live a little. I don't doubt that there are some very sociable, caring, intelligent people who will make fantastic doctors that start med as an undergrad but there's no harm is having a mix of people in med just as there is in every other career out there. So in my opinion it's no harm to have a degree in another discipline (as someone else said, you might love it) there is the major issue of the increase cost of doing it this way though, once you're aware of that.

Ana27 - there are pros and cons of doing medicine straight from school, as there are doing another degree and then studying medicine as either a GEM or a mature student. However there are massive financial implications of doing another degree before medicine. I am a mature student, and yes there are benefits to having worked, etc., but thought it might be worthwhile listing the costs of doing another degree first.

There are some valid points in this thread but then it seemed to get a bit away from your original question and kind of developed into an undergraduate vs GEM debate/argument. The US have used the GEM route for decades, the UK/Ireland the undergraduate route all produce capable/competent doctors. The US has the USMLEs, the UK/Ireland have memberships of the various colleges.

The undergraduate route you have to pay the Student contribution. Here is some info from http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/fees.html
    Most colleges charge an annual student contribution, formerly called the student services charge. It is also known as a registration fee and it covers student services and examinations. The amount of the contribution varies from one institution to another. The maximum rate of the student contribution for the academic year 2013-2014 is €2,500.

Budget 2013: It was announced that the student contribution will be €2,750 in 2014-2015 and €3,000 in 2015-2016.

You may be eligible for a grant, there are various levels, some levels pay this charge, some also provide financial support towards living expenses, etc. But SUSI this year was really late in granting some claims. Medicine as an undergraduate is either a 5/6 year course, so this charge is close to €15k/18k.

GEM - you need a minimum of a 2.1 degree and sit the GAMSAT, places are allocated in Ireland purely on that score. This is expensive, you will pay approximately €60k in fees. You will also need to live, eat, buy books, etc. It is difficult to get funding, check out some of the threads posted here. Unless you have quite a substantial credit history you will probably require a guarantor.

Mature route - realistically you need a degree, and they take this into account, along with your work experience, voluntary experience, personal statements, and you have to sit the HPAT, and then they interview you. And as you already have a degree then you have to pay fees. And ultimately mature medicine is expensive. Fees in Trinity have remained constant since 2009 at €8,456 http://www.tcd.ie/Treasurers_Office/...es_2012-13.pdf giving a 5 year total of €42,280.
    RCSI - this year's rates http://www.rcsi.ie/index.jsp?p=112&n=202&a=745#Fees are €15,890. The undergraduate (straight from school fee is €10,127 http://www.rcsi.ie/index.jsp?p=112&n=202&a=745#Fees) and I don't think you are eligible for this rate as you need to be allocated a spot on the MEP route. That means 5 years in RCSI is currently €79,450, or 6 years is €95,340.
    If you already have a degree you are not eligible for a grant or other fee funding - this applies to both the mature and GEM route.

This is a huge level of debt to graduate with. The current intern starting salary is €30,257, and the Haddington Road deal is being voted on at the moment and this will reduce overtime pay and delay pay increments. Take home pay after tax, Medical Council and IMO memberships and various medical exams is probably half that. Yes there is overtime on top of that, but you may not be paid for all of it, and may soon be capped if the HSE ever implements EWTD.

If you are sure that medicine is the course, career and lifestyle for you, then yes I would seriously consider repeating your LC. If you are not sure - then maybe a year spent repeating and looking into things may confirm that it is right for you, or you may decide on something completely different.

You have the summer to think about this - You may want to look at your finances, and possibly discuss the financial ramifications with your parents/guardians (would they be willing/in a position to act as guarantor?). Talk to your careers guidance counsellor - is it realistic that you will get probably around 540/550 points. Also over the summer when the HPAT results are released - have a look at that and see how you did. You may have a fabulous result, and be pleasantly pleased with your LC and have enough points anyway. If not - can you improve on your LC and/or your HPAT?

I hope I haven't overloaded you with info, but feel free to PM me.

And remember - what do they call the person who comes last in Med School ... Doctor - and that applied to all routes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭e1994

I did my leaving cert last year and got 540 with a HPAT of 175 so I missed out on medicine and my second choice physio. I had myself worked down before the results came out, thinking I would have got around 480 so I was overjoyed with my results and accepted OT probably in too much haste without weighing up my options when first round offers came out.

I now have a year of OT done and find myself researching medicine courses once again. Its not that I don't like my course, I do! It's just I can't get the idea of medicine out of my head and now wish I had thought more seriously about repeating last August. The GAMSAT just looks so intimidating and I almost think that even at this stage would I nearly be better off just repeating the leaving cert, rather than finishing my course and then pursuing GEM.

I don't know what to do! :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement