Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT cut-off 2012 UL

Options
  • 21-05-2013 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,
    I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the gamsat cut off score was for UL last year? I heard at the open day that everyone got in on a score of 53, but the administration office have suggested that 54 was as low as the score went. I have a score of 53 and am trying to decide whether to re-sit or hang on until the offers come out in August. If anyone is on the course or knows others who got in on a score of 53 I'd love to know:) thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭nomoreexams

Hey, they fell to 53 last year but not everyone got in with 53, so 54 last year was the minimum to guarantee you a place. They seem to fall every year though. See link below:

http://www.qualifax.ie/qf/QFPublic/?Mainsec=courses&Subsec=course_details&ID=29231

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ojomhgoek

I'm a bit disappointed with my score of 53, really hoping for an offer from UL in August. I spoke to two people in 1st year GEM UCC who had scores of 54, seeing as UCC was 56* last year, all hope may not be lost for us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 MichaelHunt

I've heard that students were accepted in UL with scores of 50 and 51.

On the wards however, it is clear that people with these lower scores just aren't able to cut it.

Something like 25 people failed 1st year last year.

Another 30 or so people dropped out of UL already this year due to being unable to hack it.

Don't convince yourself that anything under 60 is a good GAMSAT score.

In saying that it's all hearsay from my part, and I can only comment about what I see on the wards myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

I've heard that students were accepted in UL with scores of 50 and 51.

On the wards however, it is clear that people with thes e lower scores just aren't able to cut it.

Something like 25 people failed 1st year last year.

Another 30 or so people dropped out of UL already this year due to being unable to hack it.

Don't convince yourself that anything under 60 is a good GAMSAT score.

In saying that it's all hearsay from my part, and I can only comment about what I see on the wards myself.

Careful. Some people here don't like to hear this.

Can you confirm the number who dropped out of UL or failed out? Is it really possible to correlate it with GAMSAT score?

What is it specifically on the wards that they are less able for?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dublindoctor

If that is true, i think the reason students couldn't handle the course and/or fail is the transition to a purely PBL degree. They were probably too used to being spoon fed! GAMSAT score, in my opinion, does not reflect the people who failed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 John432

25 people failed? is this actually true or just heard off a friend of a friend? Seems a bit much

i know 20 or 25 people failed the christmas exams this year in medicine, i dont know anythign about last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 John432

Ah right do you know if this fail rate is similar in the other 3 unis? Perhaps it could be down to the PBL approach. It does seem a bit daunting learning subjects like biochemistry or pharmacology through PBL!

John432 wrote: »
    Ah right do you know if this fail rate is similar in the other 3 unis? Perhaps it could be down to the PBL approach. It does seem a bit daunting learning subjects like biochemistry or pharmacology through PBL!

I dont think as many people fail elsewhere, but UL has a much larger class, thus there will be a higher number of people failing and also i think people can't cope very well with PBL.

I also have friends in UCD and they said that first year was very do-able, as they are basically spoon fed

Advertisement