Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Irish be compulsary?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Cliste wrote:
    ... As for the everything in school having a relevance to some extent please explain to me the relevance of the foolowing:
    Hi Cliste,
    Sure, it would be foolish to say that every subject or lesson has to be relevant to be of value. Of course that is not the case. However, the difference is that, for the environment I was in at least, Irish was extremely irrelevant. If you are living in a more Irish-speaking area then of course this may not be the case.

Be that as it may,
    Cliste wrote:
    The Eucharistic congress of 1932
    Slyvia Plath
    Hydrostatics
    Differentiation
    Lenz's Law
    -No idea!, never did this, no interest
    -It's part of English comprehension so is not relevant as such in itself, except as a method for learning
    -Didn't do physics, but any basic science subject can help extend understanding of the natural world
    -Understanding the rate of change of a factor is relevant to an enormous amount of things
    - again, didn't do physics..(but at least I had the choice in this!!!)
    Cliste wrote:
    It is a fact that there is a lot of redundancy's in our courses. Irish is useful in daily life... If you want it to be.
    And what if you don't?
    Cliste wrote:
    ... Is it not fair to accnowlage that sucessful business's do happen that are through Irish. Summer Gaeltachts fulfill a demand that the Irish population has to use their national language.
    Sure, but that is only a tiny tiny tiny amount compared to all other activity, business or otherwise, that is done in English. Like, infitesimally small.
    Let businesses or anyone else conduct their operations through Irish if they wish to do so, but let's not pretend that we should in fact mandate them to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

Cliste wrote:
    It sure was driven by politics (as is most things in our country). As for the everything in school having a relevance to some extent please explain to me the relevance of the foolowing:
    The Eucharistic congress of 1932
    Slyvia Plath
    Hydrostatics
    Differentiation
    Lenz's Law
    "IRISH"
    The list goes on.

It is a fact that there is a lot of redundancy's in our courses. Irish is useful in daily life... If you want it to be. Whatever life path we choose affects wheather or not we use anything that we have learned. I somehow doubt that I shall ever be using my knowlage of nucleus decay in later life. Is it not fair to accnowlage that sucessful business's do happen that are through Irish. Summer Gaeltachts fulfill a demand that the Irish population has to use their national language.

Irish was important, but in today's society people travel more than ever before. Irish is by means important. A living, family and money are the things that drive people now, by all means have Irish, but put it on the end of that list. There are probably more polish people in ireland speaking polish than there are irish native speakers!

Answer me a question! Why are the Amercians not speaking Native Indian, and the French speaking Galeic?

Irish should be put in the same bracket as learning a musical instrument or wood work, in Irish education!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Peanut wrote:
    And what if you don't?

And I don't want to learn English, turn this around for a second and apply it to English.

Fair enough many of those examples arn't in compulsary subjects, But again the relevance of any of the English course?

And at least you know what differentiation is, thought the long word might scare you!

Sorry just to get back to dclains point of this being a european era. Part of that is the celebration of different cultures, it has moved away from the American style of one single culture for all.

Sorry you jumped in pre my posting... There are more Polish speakers because they apparently care about their culture, about their heritage, unlike most Irish. The French are speacking french, the Basce (spl?) speak their own language, and the Flemish theirs... None are third world countries either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

Cliste thanks for that....

I would deem Irish as a nice to have, as I said like being able to use your hands to make something or singng a song.

Would you sacrifice your chance of employment and travel just to be fluent in Irish?
    The Polish have their own language...however they are a population of over 38 million people! How many native Irish speakers are there? For the size we are, there is too much made of Irish! Instead we should be saying to the world...Here we are! Skilled Workforce, able to speak French, German, Spanish, willing to work and willing to assimilate into your language!

Why did so many people emmigrate to America? Knowing English was a main reason..what good was irish to them? Would they have been better off staying in ireland speaking Irish and dying of hunger?

The EU made a big mistake by making Irish an official language. The 30 year olds of this Ireland have been brought up to hate it..and by this hatred they will be the ones that will send it into the history books like the ancient Aramaic language!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Elmo wrote:
    It's part of your education for educations sake.

Just after sitting my Irish mock today. It hits you how pointless the subject is when you get to the Stair na Gaeilge section of the paper.

Don't get me wrong - as languages go I actually like it, if it wasn't on the course I'd still make an attemp to use it, by they should really take a new approach to teaching/examining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

But Stair is one of the more interesting parts of the course! : )

Cliste wrote:
    And I don't want to learn English, turn this around for a second and apply it to English.
    You know Cliste, I agree with you on this :D

But not for any reason like "Irish is the offical language" or whatever.
    I think if Sylvia Plath p*sses you off that much, then you should be doing something more productive, whether that's another part of the English course or not.

I agree that if you are in an Irish speaking environment, then it doesn't make sense to be compelled to learn obscure English novels etc.

I would be happy that certain parts of English courses could be made non-compulsory. There would still be a huge social incentive to learn it though, so nothing would be lost.

re: the original topic, here's a suggestion - simply cut the amount of time teaching lower level Irish in half.

If the world doesn't fall apart, then follow this up in time by creating a more granular approach to all subjects in school - make it possible to spend a small amount of time learning the basics of languages, then let the student decide what parts of each language to learn. Let's not just lump it into one homogenous block and call it an "Irish" or "English" class.

This requires some braveness & energy on behalf of the powers that be, so I don't see it happening very soon, however I believe eventually things will go in this direction.

Sounds more like suicide for Bertie and the boys... and Enda.....
    Did you know that there is supposed to be an Oral for junior cert german, it's just no teachers agreed to test it... Think they'll agree with that?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

What is with this militant anti-Gaeilge stance that some people are taking?
    dclane wrote:
    Would you sacrifice your chance of employment and travel just to be fluent in Irish?

AND

by all means have Irish, but put it on the end of that list

What does being fluent as Gaeilge have to do with being unemployed?
    Why at the end of the list? Why is it not as important as family? It's who you are.
    dclane wrote:
    Answer me a question! Why are the Amercians not speaking Native Indian, and the French speaking Galeic?

Simple -
    Most Americans are European settlers. They're not Indians, and Native american languages have nothing to do with them

I think you'll find a lot of French speak their ethnic minority language, eg Occitan, Breton and Basque.

I'm a sixth year student. I love the language. What was done to some of you to turn you against it? Or is it just jealousy/discontent because you are not good at it?

• Advertisement

cliste wrote:
    Sounds more like suicide for Bertie and the boys... and Enda.....
    Unfortunately the chances of either of those Buffoons doing something useful for reasons other than political PR are slim I think.
    obl wrote:
    What is with this militant anti-Gaeilge stance that some people are taking?
    A reaction against the militant pro-Gaeilge stance most likely!
    obl wrote:
    I'm a sixth year student. I love the language. What was done to some of you to turn you against it? Or is it just jealousy/discontent because you are not good at it?
    lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭/Andy\

dclane wrote:

The Polish have their own language...however they are a population of over 38 million people! How many native Irish speakers are there? For the size we are, there is too much made of Irish! Instead we should be saying to the world...Here we are! Skilled Workforce, able to speak French, German, Spanish, willing to work and willing to assimilate into your language!

Lol! First of all- gaelgóirí are now apparently jobless and banned from travel?! Where I'm from, in West Dublin, the best schools, that turn out the students most likely to continue on to further education and as a result- better jobs, are Gaelscoileanna.

Second of all, you're suggesting that because we are a small country we should eat up others (French, German, Spanish you mention) cultures and assimilate into their languages?! What rubbish! Are we slaves of some kind? Why should we have insecurities of expressing our own language and culture?
    You certainly come across as someone ashamed of where they're from, perhaps you should move?

This whole thread has become an excuse for the anti-Irish brigade to vent their small-minded and ill informed views. If you hate the language so much, why are you on this forum in the first place? Did y'all specifically click on the link to the Gaeilge forum hoping for a thread that would enable you to vent your unwanted hatred? I find cricket boring, but I'm not about to go to the cricket forum to mouth off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Ace7

Lets discuss Welsh language revival. They have had a lot more success there, but nobody really explains why.

I've heard the Welsh wanted to revive it, and thus it has. Well, why do they want to revive it and the Irish don't?

Are the Welsh stupid to revive it and for wanting to revive it? Of what use is Welsh? Seems like many of the knocks against Irish could also be said about Welsh. Welsh is not an international language. Is reviving Welsh a waste of tax payers money?

Welsh is not spoken outside Wales, right? Like Irish, Welsh is more a 'rural' language rather than the language of industry/business/commerce. English is a much more useful language and more widely spoken than Welsh. etc. etc.

Maybe Welsh is taught better than Irish is. But I've heard that for English speakers, Welsh - like Irish - is still a hard language to learn.

How many school children will use Welsh after leaving school? Maybe not that many, same as with Irish. Maybe some view Welsh as a waste of time. But Welsh has somehow been revived.

I've heard that Welsh hadn't died out as much as Irish has, and so that made it easier to revive. But is that the whole story, or are there other reasons?

I'm sure there are some in Wales who view Welsh as an old, poor, backward, farming, type language. So it has had its opponents and obstacles. And yet it has still been revived. So whats been the difference between Wales and Ireland, between the Welsh people and the Irish people, and between the two celtic languages?

I think it would be great if a lot of people weighed in with their thoughts on this. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

I think Irish should be compulsory upto a point. English shouldn't be compulsory upto a point too. Why must I do shakespeare when I'll never need it? Same goes for Pég! Anyway all Irish people should learn to read and write as Ghaeilge and then have the choice to continue or not. I love Irish, but not being able to do it everyday and lack of people interested really disappointed me. I mean I spoke Irish to get me and my friends out of a pickle before! It's also a great laugh to have so you can talk about people and they'll never know! Irish should be thought to read and write but then it's upto the person to continue after that. This is what makes me Irish, the fact that I know when I go abroad and meet an Irish person, we can speak Irish to each other. That's the way it should be.

However reality and what I'd like are two different things. Irish shoudn't die as a language, however it shouldn't be forced down peoples throats either. I have no idea how the government will improve the Irish situation but I think it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I probable said this before but getting rid of complusory Irish will lead to getting rid of complusory English and Maths. I don't think its that big a deal to continue to learn Irish.

I noted in the Des Bishop show that many of the people he spoke to never get the chance to speak Irish rather then a lack of willingness to use the language hence they have lost alot of the lanuage.
    But I've heard that for English speakers, Welsh - like Irish - is still a hard language to learn.

All lanuages are difficult to learn. English is the most difficult. But Irish in Leaving Cert is taught as a fluent language not a beginners language. The failure of the system is with National Schools. Hence by the time we go to Secondary school we have a tendancy to think that other European Lanuages are easier yet they all are taught as beginner languages so really they should be alot easier then Irish.

I think it is important to continue with Irish, English and Maths as compulsory subects.

Lets face it there are plenty of subjects in College that you will never use, some people even do Irish, english and maths in college. They become Teachers, think of the teachers. :)

Won't somebody please think of the children ? :)

Some people are just not good at languages. It just seems to be a waste of time to force them to learn more than one language when they will get little to no benefit out of it, and could be studying something else that they have a real interest or talent in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I think it should, but if made optional for LC - I think English should be too.

Advertisement