Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The name of this forum

Options
  • 19-08-2003 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

I don't think that the "(Cantonese / Mandarin)" rubric in the forum name is necessary or correct. Chinese is a collection of languages which use the same writing system, but differ as considerably as to Romanian and Portuguese. Statistics from Ramsey's Languages of China:

71.5% are Putonghua (Mandarin) speakers (Beijing and all the North and Southwest)
    8.5% are Wu speakers (around Shanghai and Zhejiang)
    5.0% are Yue (Cantonese) speakers (Guangdong, Guangxi, and overseas)
    4.8% are Xiang speakers (Hunan)
    4.1% are Min speakers (Fujian and southern coastal areas)
    3.7% are Hakka speakers (widely scattered from Sichuan to Taiwan)
    2.4% are Gan speakers (Jiangxi)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's alphabethical at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Grand_Izer

Well to be fair, the majority of Chinese language users in Ireland will be fluent in either Cantonese or Mandarin (or even both).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Removed superfluous limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Grand_Izer

Originally posted by Yoda
    Why?

This issue is sorta defunct now but ah well :)

The ratio of Cantonese to Mandarin speakers is a lot higher in western countries than one might expect. A sizeable majority of early Chinese immigrants to England/Ireland will have originated from Cantonese speaking areas (notably Hong Kong).
    For people interested in learning a Chinese language, the 2 most common choices would be Cantonese (due to the large number of speakers overseas) and Mandarin. Also for business purposes, Mandarin is also perceived as an attractive language - the unlikely phrase "China's billion customers" springs to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I think we should leave it as Chinese, I think it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

The name of the boards is set and not changing, so I think there's no point in this topic. locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement