Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dont tell them what it was like to do silage or barley

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I don't think it's used now at all.
    Wilting had done away with it.
    Jeez, I remember wet years with water running out between the floor boards of the trailers from a double chop.

Still have half a barrel of Co-Sil, must be nearly 20 years of age...

Actually, shovelling grain to an auger and breathing in the fumes from PropCorn wasn't much fun either..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What is sulphuric acid used for in agriculture?

Note that laboratory concentrations may be a lot stronger than agricultural concentrations.

Victor wrote: »
    What is sulphuric acid used for in agriculture?

Note that laboratory concentrations may be a lot stronger than agricultural concentrations.

Co-Sil was sulphuric acid (60%) and applied to fresh grass at 2 to 3 litres per ton, to aid preservation.

AddF was Formic acid at 80% strength , and used similarly.

It came in 45 gallon drums, and needed decanted into 5 gallon drums.
    Messy and potentially dangerous work, by evening it wasn't unusual for denim jeans to have holes in them (or to be falling apart) from drips or splashes.

I don't think.its used now at all, contractors refuse to put it through their machines. It could eat a track through the metal housing of a harvester in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Fumigating animal housing with formaldehyde and potassium permanganate. A few seconds in that cloud would have you meeting your maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

I have been ridiculed ad nauseum for warning of the next economic crisis but when it does come (possible next autumn) all trade will essentially grind to a halt. No fuel? Youths must do manual labour on the land or else, in our hunger and desperation, people will turn on each other.

• Advertisement

Accidentally mixing milking parlour cleaner with de-scaler when giving the milking machine a hot wash and de-scale , one breath of that will have you outside on your hands and knees, coughing up a lung.
    Chlorine gas, similar to WW1 trench warfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I have been ridiculed ad nauseum for warning of the next economic crisis but when it does come (possible next autumn) all trade will essentially grind to a halt. No fuel? Youths must do manual labour on the land or else, in our hunger and desperation, people will turn on each other.
    Or turn each other on, make love not war:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Lets hope it melts all of the snowflakes.

The deer in the Phoenix Park, and the animals in the zoo will be the first to be eaten.
    I'm bulk buying ammo to keep the looters pinned back .... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ah, the denim jeans falling apart. Remember that well.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Ah, the denim jeans falling apart. Remember that well.

We were at silage back in the day and a 200L drum burst while mounting it on the back of the harvester...a young lad that was carting got drowned with Formic from the waist down. In fairness he stripped immediately and galloped to the river at the field margin!!
    He didn’t come out for about half an hour. The only damage done was a good rash of nettle stings from the river bank.
    H&S, how are you!! :).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,153 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Rolling barley in a shed was another one, the dust. Trying to get the roller fed with barley, move the rolled stuff away and not die at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭older by the day

Why do you think there will be a crisis? Their is something in me, that I like listening to misery

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    Rolling barley in a shed was another one, the dust. Trying to get the roller fed with barley, move the rolled stuff away and not die at the same time
    Rolling oats was the worst, the dust eats into your skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Base price wrote: »
    Rolling oats was the worst, the dust eats into your skin.

Yep!
    Those tiny little chaff fibres would get right into your pores.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Odelay

Yep!
    Those tiny little chaff fibres would get right into your pores.

You could charge a fortune for that now, exfoliating is what it’s called. And all them years ye were complaining about it.

Advertisement