Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro game prices

Options
  • 30-08-2017 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I have a small collection of retro games, and a friend of mine recently decided to pick up a mega drive and get some games for it, he picked up boxed copies of sonic 1 and 2 Golden axe, and a few others for reasonable enough prices. He said he was going to pick up the Streets of Rage Trilogy, to which I said "they'll probably cost you around €80 all in'.. how wrong I was... so my question is.
    How much would you be prepared to pay for that classic you must have In your collection?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

My findings with buying anything considered retro is to shop around as retro now means profit to a lot of sellers... I find that many retro forums and websites are the better way to go rather than ebay which is scandalous for most games and consoles. Plus what defines a classic: one person's Mario might be another person's Bubsy!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭MvsC3

Yeah I understand that a lot but not all people buy retro games to move on for profit, I usually only buy games that I enjoyed myself when I was younger, hence only owning 15 games for my Snes, I have no interest in selling, as I'm sure I would regret doing so, incidentally most I've paid for a retro game I really wanted
    X Men Vs Street Fighter on SEGA Saturn €35

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

In truth there is a minority of titles on all sorts of formats that are going to cost an arm and a leg.
    But, if you are patient, most games can be had for reasonable prices.
    Some perspective might be helpful here.
    If you look at the current games market, many people think nothing of forking out €70 for a current title, a game that almost certainly will be a quarter of the price in 12 months.
    That €70 could, instead, get you a comparatively rare title for a classic console and that game is not going to cease to be as awesome as it is now in a few years time. That is to say, they hold their value really well.
    Also, once again, taking your time will mean you'll fill your shelves with classic titles without ever spending more than €30 per game, typically a lot less.
    So, it's simply down to what value does the title have for you, and if it is go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

If you like the Mega Drive better off going on Yahoo Auctions and getting a Japanese console. I got a minty boxed one for €70 shipped. The games have better boxart, lovely full colour manuals and generally cost half the price.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    In truth there is a minority of titles on all sorts of formats that are going to cost an arm and a leg.
    But, if you are patient, most games can be had for reasonable prices.
    Some perspective might be helpful here.
    If you look at the current games market, many people think nothing of forking out €70 for a current title, a game that almost certainly will be a quarter of the price in 12 months.
    That €70 could, instead, get you a comparatively rare title for a classic console and that game is not going to cease to be as awesome as it is now in a few years time. That is to say, they hold their value really well.
    Also, once again, taking your time will mean you'll fill your shelves with classic titles without ever spending more than €30 per game, typically a lot less.
    So, it's simply down to what value does the title have for you, and if it is go for it!

I agree with most of that, I like the WWE games that come out each October, but I won't pay €100 plus for the game and DLC on release instead preferring to wait until March/april when you can pick it up for around €25, in saying that, if I seen a retro game I wanted, I'd buy it now instead of waiting and it most likely going to increase in price...i picked up the 4 main Alex kidd ( god two of them dire) games on Master System years ago now for around €10 each, and although not worth a whole lot they generally sell for more than I paid, at some stage, when collectors get the games they want, they will keep them. which means less of the games people want available and will push prices up, and waiting for a bargain that much harder to come by if people know what they have.

• Advertisement

If you like the Mega Drive better off going on Yahoo Auctions and getting a Japanese console. I got a minty boxed one for €70 shipped. The games have better boxart, lovely full colour manuals and generally cost half the price.

Thats actually really good advice

smurf492 wrote: »
    My findings with buying anything considered retro is to shop around as retro now means profit to a lot of sellers... I find that many retro forums and websites are the better way to go rather than ebay which is scandalous for most games and consoles. Plus what defines a classic: one person's Mario might be another person's Bubsy!

Nowt wrong with bubsy :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nowt wrong with bubsy :)

:eek:

Advertisement