Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Put petrol into diesel van

• 25-11-2020 8:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

Hi there after driving a petrol car for the last 10 years I recently got a diesel.

Long story short it was totally empty and I put 50lt of petrol into it. I realised it and did not start the engine just pushed it to the side of the forecourt .
    Is there a way to get the petrol out myself or do I need to call a garage to get it out.

Its a 131 VW Caddy Maxi Life 1.6lt

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Got my first diesel car 2 years ago and filled it with petrol. Got a number from the guy on the till for someone to drain it. €50 for the petrol, €200 for the drain, €40 to put diesel back in. Expensive mistake.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There are plenty of services when you have misfuelled, best use one of those.
    Ring your insurer first to see if they cover it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Insurance will cover it.

If it were me and the callout was 200 euro. I'd drain the tank with the electric oil pump https://ige.ie/12v-oil-pump/ into couple of 25 litre drums. But that's just me.

If the pump wasn't primed you shouldn't have anything in the lines or fuel filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

listermint wrote: »
    Insurance will cover it.

If it were me and the callout was 200 euro. I'd drain the tank with the electric oil pump https://ige.ie/12v-oil-pump/ into couple of 25 litre drums. But that's just me.

If the pump wasn't primed you shouldn't have anything in the lines or fuel filter.
    The description says
    "Suitable for diesel heating or motor oil.
    NOT suitable for flammable liquids."

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Stephenc66

I also thought that when you get a service to do this they must recover you to somewhere else to remove the petrol? The filing station may not allow it on the for court

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Esel wrote: »
    The description says
    "Suitable for diesel heating or motor oil.
    NOT suitable for flammable liquids."

I did say (just me) and i know what it says on it. I have one. - Dont be me :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Stephenc66 wrote: »
    I also thought that when you get a service to do this they must recover you to somewhere else to remove the petrol? The filing station may not allow it on the for court

Mine was emptied on the far side of the fore court, no one objected.

Insurance will cover it.

A friend of mine did it and we used a manual oil extractor to take out the petrol.
    Took us no time .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Happened to me last year.
    €40 for petrol
    €180 for the callout
    €40 for diesel.

Expensive mistake , filling station where I usually fill has the diesel nozzle on right of pump.
    I filled at a different filling station and automatically picked up the right nozzle bit that was petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

I did say (just me) and i know what it says on it. I have one. - Dont be me :P

Forget the handbag's at dawn. "DIESEL" is not flammable? The reason why they say this, there is no lubrication in petrol or water and this handy gizmo will seize up if used on water or petrol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Cordell

Diesel is combustible, not flammable https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combustibility_and_flammability#Examples_of_flammable_substances

If that pump has a brushed DC motor, and it probably has, there will be sparks that can ignite petrol vapors, but they won't ignite diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

You are being pedantic. I said this to inform member's who may not be as "knowledgeable" as you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Cordell

So did I, to inform why that pump is safe for diesel, but may be dangerous on petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Happened myself a few years ago. I called fuel rescue. Like others have said, expensive mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Taking the glass half full view, you were lucky you noticed it straight away and didn't drive off. Bit of money to spend but at least your engine will be fine.

Advertisement