Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resigning from an AP1 post

Options
  • 22-11-2020 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

I'm looking for input please from the more mathematically minded teachers. I'm applying to job share next year for my last 2/3 years of PP teaching. I've had an AP1/A post for many years. The duties have increased especially in the last few years and I'm really fed up with it. Despite being part of the so called middle management most of my days are spent trying to locate students who've decided to go missing during the day and following up on lates. With no reduction in hours to do this work it's stressing me out big time. If my job share application is successful I doubt present management would agree to my holding on to my post anyway so I'm thinking of resigning from it at the end of the school year. My question relates to the financial impact of retiring with/without the A post ie what, roughly, would the impact be on my take home pension every 2 weeks?
    I'd be retiring on the 55/33 plan, on the highest incremental point of the scale. Many thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to do some calculations for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Wait!This is going to cost you thousands a year on your pension .If you retire with NO post thats up to 4k a year gone from your pension per year forever !My strong advice would be forget the jobshare-cancel application immediately- and just grit your teeth for next 2-3 years till retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

If you are going to job share you will have a lot less classes and therefor a lot more time, I really wouldnt resign the AP1 (management can’t make you) if you are that close to retirement anyway, it will be worth it in your pension to put up with it for a few more years.
    I agree with the comment on the amount of work now expected, I wouldn’t advise anyone to apply for a post now, they are just not worth it, but if you have been doing it I think it’s a smart move pension wise to stick with it for the smal, amount of time you have indicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Could you discuss a possible change of duties? They're supposed to rotate now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

If you jobshare you get the full AP1 allowance. Personally I think you would be mad to resign from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GW45

If you had 10 years to go I'd say resign from it and save yourself a lot of hassle but with just 2/3 years left you'd be mad to resign it! It will make a big difference to your job share salary if you have an AP1 allowance added to it but more importantly it will add a decent amount to your pension which hopefully you'll be getting for a long time!
    Job sharers must be allowed to keep their 'posts' - what kind of timetables do job sharers typically get in your school? Ours are all in school every day and two have AP1s so there isn't any post they couldn't do but even if you were lucky and had a day off they can't take your post away- they might switch the role/duties but regardless, hold on to your AP1!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    I'm looking for input please from the more mathematically minded teachers. I'm applying to job share next year for my last 2/3 years of PP teaching. I've had an AP1/A post for many years. The duties have increased especially in the last few years and I'm really fed up with it. Despite being part of the so called middle management most of my days are spent trying to locate students who've decided to go missing during the day and following up on lates. With no reduction in hours to do this work it's stressing me out big time. If my job share application is successful I doubt present management would agree to my holding on to my post anyway so I'm thinking of resigning from it at the end of the school year. My question relates to the financial impact of retiring with/without the A post ie what, roughly, would the impact be on my take home pension every 2 weeks?
    I'd be retiring on the 55/33 plan, on the highest incremental point of the scale. Many thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to do some calculations for me.

Management don't get a say. You can't have the A post taken off you. Like everyone else I'd agree, you'd be mad to give it up with 2-3 years to go. It will make a significant difference to your pension and lump sum given that the allowance is 9k. Also considering that you are going on job share for the next couple of years, you are losing a 1-1.5 years there.

I would ask for a review of duties and refuse to take on anything extra on top of what you are already doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

I think many are not surprisingly going on job sharing in final years to ease load but I think its more important to reach the 33 years as fast as possible.A Jobshare year is only half a year for pensionable purposes (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Management can’t take the post, but they also don’t have to approve the job share, do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

RealJohn wrote: »
    Management can’t take the post, but they also don’t have to approve the job share, do they?

No, but if there is a precedent of offering job shares, I'd imagine it would create very bad feeling if a person is turned down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

You are fully entitled to keep your post.
    Dont ditch it fir the sake of a couple of years. You will effectively be getting paid for your hard work now forever through your pension.

• Advertisement
Advertisement