Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Music One Ireland

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭Glaceon

If I recall, this was set up in response to RTÉ Gold's pending closure. When that didn't happen it probably put the whole project in doubt.

With no advertising and lack of awareness by the general public it was doomed which is a pity as it was very good!

Did they give a specific reason for the closure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I heard one of its presenters, Liam Quigley, standing in for Colm Hayes on Classic Hits a few weeks ago. It was a fluke that I happened to hear it at all! Liam can be regularly heard doing all sorts of voiceovers for ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Sad to see the demise of another online station, it mirrors what is happening in the UK, no matter how good the station is - a limited audience and no advertising eventually leads to closure.

A limited FM run may have helped, but that is costly , and apart from the costs involved , its difficult to monetarise the potential benefit.

As an aside, their website includes an excellent tribute to the late Tom Hardy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭JDxtra

If it's costing you money, it ain't going to work long term. Ultra cheap niche/hobby stations can survive, anything bigger will struggle.

There are too many other online choices to make you stand out. You're also competing with Spotify, Apple Music etc.

Shame as they put a good effort into this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Back to Trax and Retro Now for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I wonder will we hear from the main behind this station Mike Moloney on FM radio ever again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Hopefully! I'd say we will have a good chance of hearing him on Christmas FM on his usual Saturday afternoon slot. Though, he did a couple of Sundays too on the last run.

Apart from that, I pretty much doubt that we will hear him on the FM any time soon, unless he is offered a show that gives him freedom with what he plays.

It is a shame that More Music Ireland is finishing. But, judging by followers on social media, listenership might have been low. Still, I enjoyed what I heard, and will miss it! Perhaps it needed more exposure.

Its a pity that its going to finish,but a lot of online stations started during covid when things were locked down,Another that had a good lineup of presenters was Planet Radio..Its still going,but not so many live presenters..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Tony Prince in the UK had an on-line radio station "United DJs" with a very strong line up of ex BBC Radio 1, Luxembourg and Capital DJs and it lasted only around 3 years. Tony even auctioned off his valuable record collection to help keep it going.

Statement on More Music Irelands website.

It is with regret that we announce the closure of MoreMusic Ireland at midnight 22nd April 2022.

From a programming point of view, MoreMusic Ireland has been a big success.

MoreMusic Ireland is Ireland's first ever fully-staffed, digital-only radio station, staffed by experienced, professional presenters with years of experience in broadcasting.

MoreMusic Ireland is the first Irish Classic Hits radio station in the last 30+ years, to totally do away with the infamous “famous 500” music format where a relatively few songs are picked and played over and over again.

Part of the MoreMusic Ireland experiment was to see could we, using modern technology, recreate the “old-fashioned” way of doing presenter-led radio where the presenter comes into studio with a box of records and does a show without playing half the songs that were played earlier!

This has been successfully achieved by providing a “live” music library of 6,500 to 7,000 tracks accessible to all presenters.

Now that the product has been created, the next natural step is to make MoreMusic Ireland financially viable.

This requires a considerable amount of money to create a high profile, sustained promotion and marketing campaign. Without going into detail, the backing for a push like this just does not seem to be there.

And so, for the moment, we are forced to close MoreMusic Ireland.

I want to most sincerely express my gratitude to all of the Presenters who bought into the concept and put in thousands and thousands of hours over the last couple of years.

Thank you so much.

Mike Moloney,

Owner

More Music Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭squonk

Sorry to see this go. I thought it was a great station. Brought me back years to the 80s when you could hear all sorts of stuff even on mainstream station like 2FM. Great to hear Mike Moloney back on air. Shame really but it was great while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I think Rory teared up at the end, and it's understandable. It is sad when a station that we have listened to comes to an end. Music and chat, then suddenly, there's silence!

Yes Rory was emotional at the end.

There was a lot of mention of the station being before its time and maybe in two years etc etc

But it's hard to see what is going to change , there are so many barriers in place to stop any new.entrants onto an existing platform (not just FM) , protect the current incumbents is the mantra.

Hopefully one day Mike Moloney (or to an older generation, the Man - Mike Moran !) will be able to relaunch with the proper funding .

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GFrancy4stir

Sorry to hear any station go silent but there are loads of online stations in Ireland, a quick look at Radio Garden shows this. Some are running for years without any fanfare.

Is it realistic to expect an online radio station to become financially viable without a niche/hook/mission (ie Christmas FM, 8 Radio, Charity Radio, UCB) or supporting organisation cross-subsidy in the current climate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

if the station's goal is to make a profit and have paid staff then no, unless it is a world reaching large listenership station or network of stations like 1.fm di.fm 181.fm etc, with enough listeners to make donations or subscribe to any premium options the station may have, and even then profitibility and ability to pay staff will be limited.

if the goal is to run something for the love of radio, don't want to pay staff and don't want to make anything out of it then that is certainly doable as long as the operator can afford it and or there are enough listeners who like what the station does to donate to the station to help with the costs, in stream or pre-stream advertising is also available which might bring in some extra income but that is limited.

that is ultimately the beauty of the internet, any and all possible models can at least be tried, some will work, and others won't, but ultimately there is no unsustainable, untennable, out of touch with reality BAI model to contend with, the operator decides the business model as it should be, not civil servants.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

What barriers are in place to prevent this station from being a success? What protectionism of the online platform caused the demise of this station?

Online radio stations are closing both here and overseas.

Online as the only outlet for a station is not financially feasible.

The BAI have made it virtually impossible / financiallyprohibitive for a new station to get carriage on any other platform in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Lord Nelson

Unfortunately it’s almost impossible for an online only station to monetise itself, especially given the huge amount of similar stations. The existing royalty regime has also had a negative effect for those that choose to abide by it. If using streaming providers such as Securenet or Empire it is possible to make some money from ad inserts. The more people who “tune in”, the more potential income. The big problem there is the more listeners, the higher the royalty fees. Looking at the structure, to me it appears that the fees will always outstrip the income. The other issue is how to promote awareness of the station? Unless you’re prepared to throw silly money at it, it’s just going to be lost among all the other noise out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

That truly is a shame as I enjoyed listening to the station, always switched over at 1pm after RTÉ Gold finished up. Disappointing thing to find after coming back from my holidays. But I knew it was only ever going to be a temporary thing, can't survive without some money coming in. Was fun while it lasted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement