Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam, what to get and where to get it - vol. 2

• 27-11-2019 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Seeing as the last thread has been locked, I thought this would be a good idea for all questions, info, deals, etc.

I know very, very little about dashcams. However, I am thinking about getting one for my car. My budget is €100ish. I'm looking for a front facing camera, that can be hardwired, and preferably with bluetooth to transfer videos. Can anybody recommend one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

In the same boat
    want to pick my old man up a cam for christmas but don't want to be spending the kids inheritance on it. TBH I was thinking about 70 bucks
    a single cam would suffice, front facing (no need to record in car), not a rolls royce of dash cams, but not muck either. probably don't even need audio but i guess the probably all have that anyway.

advice and opinions greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭vectra

This is the one I have fitted,
    Absolutely perfect for me and it so discreet it is barely visible, unless you really look for it.
    No screen on the back so no distractions only a tiny led that flashes.

https://dashcamtalk.com/blueskysea-b1w/

Search ebay or elsewhere for best deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,989 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Nextbase ones tend to get good reviews , with budgets to suit every one.

The series runs in order, so beginning at the 112 and going up to the 6 series, think 622 might be the best.

Some have 'gw' after the number.
    The W stands for Wi-Fi, which allows you to connect to your phone for example.
    Afaik the G stands for GPS, meaning the unit can pinpoint your location.

The quality will improve as you move up obviously. I think the medium model 322GW get a rave reviews and probably suits most people's needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭TigerTim

vectra wrote: »
    Absolutely perfect for me and it so discreet it is barely visible, unless you really look for it.

I have one of those for the past 2 years. Very discreet as you say. Hardly see it behind the mirror. You can view video & change settings via phone app.

T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

NIMAN wrote: »
    The Nextbase ones tend to get good reviews , with budgets to suit every one.

The series runs in order, so beginning at the 112 and going up to the 6 series, think 622 might be the best.

Some have 'gw' after the number.
    The W stands for Wi-Fi, which allows you to connect to your phone for example.
    Afaik the G stands for GPS, meaning the unit can pinpoint your location.

The quality will improve as you move up obviously. I think the medium model 322GW get a rave reviews and probably suits most people's needs.

Good post, thanks for the info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Lads,
    Any recommendation for long lasting battery pack, I currently have a battery pack between my 750-CH2 and the car battery/engine, but its only giving me about 2 hours of parking mode (if even). I've had 2 incidents now of ppl damaging my car and not leaving notes and I would really like something that could last well over night.

/Rattle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

i too am interested in pwering a dash cam particularly in parking without car battery draining , i cannot do a hard wire due to warranty

I'm thinking the Nextbase 322GW is the best bang for buck at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

I'm thinking the Nextbase 322GW is the best bang for buck at the moment

The 522GW is on offer online at the moment so that would be a better deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

typical late shopper here. looks the job, watched a good review on youtube there. can't seem to find anywhere in ireland selling these that i can buy for a christmas pressie. generally prefer b&m shops if anyone knows where i might pick one up in or near dublin?

Edit: looks like amazon is about the best local(ish) deal. £55.16 and it includes a 32GB SD Card (weirdly cheaper with the SD card than stand alone). Looks like it comes from UK so should be good for Chrimbo, Amazon a bit more reliable than Ebay?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blueskysea-Recorder-Rotatable-G-Sensor-Recording/dp/B07FVT3Y6X/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Blueskysea+B1W&qid=1576101731&sr=8-3

will pull the trigger on it tomorrow unless anyone can steer me elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

For those looking at a cheap and amazing little dash cam, check out Xiaomi 70 mai pro.

I got on Aliexpress for 60€. If you chose shipping from the EU then no customs apply.

Amazing quality dash cam, parking mode, voice control, lane departure, wifi.

This little gem beats most of the high end dashcams.

Bear in mind, the gps module is an add on and cost 12€.

https://the-gadgeteer.com/2019/06/05/70mai-dash-cam-pro-review/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Where can I get replacement sticky things to stick the dash cam back up. I had to take it down for my driving test two weeks ago and have thrown out the box.

nextbase all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

nextbase all the way.

Yes got the 522 last week & great so far

Any nextbase I ever had was horrible for picture quality. Wouldn’t touch them for the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Any nextbase I ever had was horrible for picture quality. Wouldn’t touch them for the price.

Their new series is good I've the 122/322 and 522.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Their new series is good I've the 122/322 and 522.

Those I haven’t had in fairness. I’d a 312 and a 512 and they were worse than the ones you get in Dealz.

Santa is bringing me this Nextbase, looking forward to getting it up and running
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-Camera-Commerical-Vertical-Adjustment-Black/dp/B07CGM4XY4

NIMAN wrote: »
    Santa is bringing me this Nextbase, looking forward to getting it up and running
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-Camera-Commerical-Vertical-Adjustment-Black/dp/B07CGM4XY4

That’s a really nice design. Would be well hidden.

• Advertisement

That’s a really nice design. Would be well hidden.

Was the main reason for choosing that one, I prefer discrete.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

rumor has it that santa is dropping this one down my chimney

https://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/nextbase-522gw-dash-cam

Already reduced in price, then easy enough to get 10% off via various group schemes or coupons.
    I had an aldi one before, died out of nowhere, so looking forward to this one.
    For those who mentioned parking mode, and running down batteries, this and im sure many other ones have the parking mode in that most functions are off , barring some kind of gyroscope to sense motion, then it activates.
    Either that or you can perma wire it too be on, I hear it doesnt use much battery...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭honda boi

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Where can I get replacement sticky things to stick the dash cam back up. I had to take it down for my driving test two weeks ago and have thrown out the box.

I just changed cars.
    I just used double sided tape and it's been holding the dashcam fine

ive order the 522GW with rear cam kit , and 128 gig cards
    and a blackvue b112 parking battery all for the wifes car
    as her car is 12volt only on at ignition and i cant hardwire it due to warranty risk

took me a month to research this ****e , as its not as easy to get what you want as it seems .
    all cam setups have various good and bad points

we will see how it goes !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Don't research too much, any reasonable dash cam will do. It's a tool, your not going to be playing with it every 5 mins like your phone. Put it on your windscreen and forget about it. It will be there for you when you need it.

mondeo wrote: »
    Don't research too much, any reasonable dash cam will do. It's a tool, your not going to be playing with it every 5 mins like your phone. Put it on your windscreen and forget about it. It will be there for you when you need it.

Exactly,
    I have the one I posted already on this thread,
    Fitted it to my last 2 cars and forgot about it.
    It works perfectly and does exactly what I need, also cost a lot less than the nextbase ones.
    And is literally invisible.

well, thats not true ,
    research is required if you want proper coverage , and safety and be able to forget about it .
    dont over think it means you may get damaged in a car park , or camera will fail when you need it most.
    or your car will fail or even possibly burn.

SO
    1/ some cars are 12volt cigarette socket on with ignition, some are always on you need to check this

2/ 12volt always on can drain car battery

3/ hardwire is an option , but if car is under warranty, this can be affected or not allowed , especially on PCP

4/ you need power supply, ( battery- LIFOS ) or power controller for parking protection , most stuff happens to a car when parked .

5/ LIFOS batterys are best as they do not over heat and burn your car up in summer , normal LI batteries can burn .
    ( so - a blackvue b112 is safer than a usb power bank )

6/ some cams have batteries some have capacitors for short term power - capacitors are better for hi temps in summer

7/ some cams wont take 128 gig cards

8/ field of view angle and polarisation filters are a factor in what you record.

all of this before you even get to image quality ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭creedp

Exactly,
    I have the one I posted already on this thread,
    Fitted it to my last 2 cars and forgot about it.
    It works perfectly and does exactly what I need, also cost a lot less than the nextbase ones.
    And is literally invisible.

Have one of these as well. Works well and as you say is very discrete. I'm wondering if it is possible to connect it to cigarette lighter socket using the supplied USB cable attached to a USB adaptor rather that using the supplied d cable with the attached cigarette lighter adaptor? Is so I could easily swap it out as a rear facing camera in the 2nd car if required

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So i've been hunting a Dash Cam for Mrs. Kceire's car recently and noticed that the previous thread has been shut down and lost to the wilderness.

I have a DDPai M6 Plus in my own car and quite happy with it, although the app can be weird at times.

I'm looking for a Nextbase or similar quality brand for the wife's car.
    I know I can get cheap on eBay, Ali, Wish etc but experience has led me to buy decent the first time round.

Current options :

Budget/Entry Level - Nextbase 112

€49.99 on Micksgarage

€59.99 on Halfords

Mid Range with WiFi - Nextbase 312 GW

€114 in Halfords - Part of Bundle

• Advertisement

I started a similar thread a few months ago:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111875503

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Since one was started - merged

What's the best camera for under 100 ? I was looking at those Halfords cameras today, a HDC 300 with gps and parking mode for 83. Are they ok cameras ? I currently have a Yi smart cam which has amazing 1080p video imo, but it's acting funny lately and think I should replace it.

Is this shoite or no ?
    https://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/halfords-hdc300-dash-cam

Suggestions ?

What's the best camera for under 100 ? I was looking at those Halfords cameras today, a HDC 300 with gps and parking mode for 83. Are they ok cameras ? I currently have a Yi smart cam which has amazing 1080p video imo, but it's acting funny lately and think I should replace it.

Is this shoite or no ?
    https://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/halfords-hdc300-dash-cam

Suggestions ?

Look at post 3
    It does all I need .

Look at post 3
    It does all I need .

Looks good.
    Is the app handy to use.
    Does it have live stream in order to mount the camera and set up viewing angle etc?

Is it easy enough to pull down footage on the fly using the app?

Thanks.

kceire wrote: »
    Looks good.
    Is the app handy to use.
    Does it have live stream in order to mount the camera and set up viewing angle etc?

Is it easy enough to pull down footage on the fly using the app?

Thanks.

The app is straightforward to use for setting it up,
    Other than that I never tried pulling down footage on the fly,
    But there is a review here if it might help you>> blueskysea-b1w/

Main reason I bought it was pic quality is quite good and it is ultra discreet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

kceire wrote: »
    So i've been hunting a Dash Cam for Mrs. Kceire's car recently and noticed that the previous thread has been shut down and lost to the wilderness.

I have a DDPai M6 Plus in my own car and quite happy with it, although the app can be weird at times.

I'm looking for a Nextbase or similar quality brand for the wife's car.
    I know I can get cheap on eBay, Ali, Wish etc but experience has led me to buy decent the first time round.

Current options :

Budget/Entry Level - Nextbase 112

€49.99 on Micksgarage

€59.99 on Halfords

Mid Range with WiFi - Nextbase 312 GW

€114 in Halfords - Part of Bundle

Have you thought of getting a rear camera too? It’s €60 but it’s well wort it...

peposhi wrote: »
    Have you thought of getting a rear camera too? It’s €60 but it’s well wort it...

I’ve never thought of needing one to be honest.
    I’m running a front facing sash cam since 2006 so I suppose I should consider the rear now :)

Has anyone got the new Nextbase 322GW ? I saw this for 99 today in PC World. Is it a good price for this ? It has parking mode, wifi and GPS... It is just a front camera. The rear camera is an extra 59..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Hope it's ok to jump in here rather than start a new thread. I know absolutely nothing about dash cams and don't own one.
    My daughter is looking at getting one. Is this one any good.

https://www.livingsocial.ie/deal/shop/electricals/camera-photo/12655217/hd-rear-dash-cam?st_cid=GoogleShopping_LSIE&ito=livingsoLS_IE_GoogleProducts_LS_RevenueMarketing_12655217&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsvTxBRDkARIsAH4W_j9TstQLOLuxiNn4abENtmDqDOZ6Ql03NE6EN2UBmVNyoiXWZmPKHDcaAm4gEALw_wcB

Rubbish, don't waste your money. They are chinese generic crap sold with many different brand names on them.

You could look at this, be alot better then that thing you linked to. https://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/halfords-hdc100-dash-cam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

mondeo wrote:
    Rubbish, don't waste your money. They are chinese generic crap sold with many different brand names on them.

Thanks for the info glad I posted here now

I went out and bought the Nextbase 322GW, the video quality is probably a bit worse then my old Yi dash cam I bought 3 years ago, hmmm :/. It looks grainier or something, maybe there is a software update for it I can download. It does has parking mode and GPS so for 99 I can't really complain. The nexbase player is nice to so you can edit the videos and see all the stats on your computer. I will see how I get on with it over the coming days.

I went out and bought the Nextbase 322GW, the video quality is probably a bit worse then my old Yi dash cam I bought 3 years ago, hmmm :/. It looks grainier or something, maybe there is a software update for it I can download. It does has parking mode and GPS so for 99 I can't really complain. The nexbase player is nice to so you can edit the videos and see all the stats on your computer. I will see how I get on with it over the coming days.

I never found the picture quality on Nextbase cameras any good, that said I only have experience of the 312GW and 512GW not the new 2 series ones. The Viofo A129 I have now is far superior, as as my old Yi camera.

I never found the picture quality on Nextbase cameras any good, that said I only have experience of the 312GW and 512GW not the new 2 series ones. The Viofo A129 I have now is far superior, as as my old Yi camera.

A downgrade in image quality is not an upgrade to me, was expecting alot more from this camera from a video quality perspective. I'm just reviewing the video quality again on my laptop. The video is really nowhere near as good as my old Yi dash cam :confused:. I feel I might attempt to return this camera, I doubt they will take it back since the seal is broken on the box now :(

I may aswell of just bought the Halfords HDC 300 I was looking at, had GPS and Parking mode to, and a rear camera for less then 90... It couldn't be any worse then this Nextbase 322GW.

Today is a good day ! I returned the dash cam and store manager gave me the MUCH better 522GW for the same price !.... Rare I come across such sympathy in retail ! The quality of the video is much much better with this one, the 1080p on the 322GW is significantly worse then the 1080p on the 522GW. Sht lenses on their cheaper cameras I guess. I have yet to play with the 1440p resolution on it though since I need to get a better SD card first.

Today is a good day ! I returned the dash cam and store manager gave me the MUCH better 522GW for the same price !.... Rare I come across such sympathy in retail ! The quality of the video is much much better with this one, the 1080p on the 322GW is significantly worse then the 1080p on the 522GW. Sht lenses on their cheaper cameras I guess. I have yet to play with the 1440p resolution on it though since I need to get a better SD card first.

Result. Nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭contrary_devil

Hi folks
    Are there any dash cam that continuously record rather than record in segments and then write over the oldest recording and also do dash cams record audio?
    I drive for a living and I have been thinking of doing an occasional Youtube blog of my travels, I currently use a cheapie action cam but it stops recording after 26 minutes and has to be restarted which as well as being a pain is an unsafe distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Hi folks
    Are there any dash cam that continuously record rather than record in segments and then write over the oldest recording and also do dash cams record audio?
    I drive for a living and I have been thinking of doing an occasional Youtube blog of my travels, I currently use a cheapie action cam but it stops recording after 26 minutes and has to be restarted which as well as being a pain is an unsafe distraction.

I’m planning to get this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075T8H9XJ/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_.barEb4V4HNMZ

A friend of mine has the front camera only - super duper quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Hi folks
    [...]

No and yes.

No for continuous recording, as memory cards are FAT32 or exFAT formatted, and these file systems have their file size limitations. Never a problem though, as spliitng/joining videos is pretty simple and can be performed without recompression.

Yes for audio recording, in most cases.

• Advertisement
Advertisement