Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issu to present to Oireachtas on LS 2021

Options
  • 26-11-2020 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭

Interesting one here , I think the trading unions should definitely lend their support.

Heard on the radio that the students Union is going to mention the pressure that some students are under because of grades tracking being brought in in many schools in case of predictive grades.

I can testify to this as our school has gone nuts on regular tests every month. Teachers are getting a bit dejected with teaching to the test and under pressure to finish a topic at the end of every few weeks. Also we have to give the same tests across the department which is difficult when you are trying to differentiate for the class in front of you but still have to stay exact pace as your subject colleague with same year group.
    Upshot is students are phoning in sick then doing tests at home to 100% it to bring their "predicted grades" up.

Is it a dead cert that there will be no predictive grades in 2021 (or ever for that matter)... "By hook or by crook".

Can't find the exact link but this is the discussion going on on reforming the leaving cert. Nice that they are wondering if teachers should be 'consulted'.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/press-centre/press-releases/20171120-education-committee-to-focus-on-reform-of-the-leaving-cert-curriculum/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Nothing is certain, although I'd imagine the government will do everything in their power to get the exams rolling this year and it should be within their capabilities.

Spread students out, hire more supervisors, job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Nothing is certain, although I'd imagine the government will do everything in their power to get the exams rolling this year and it should be within their capabilities.

Spread students out, hire more supervisors, job done.
    I’m certainly not convinced of this. They’d love to have an excuse to cancel them again and save another fortune, and once it’s cancelled a second time and people start getting used to it, it will be that bit easier to keep them cancelled once we get through this Covid business, not to mention that those who bleat on about disadvantage would then have their blunt instrument to level the playing field in the way some of them want it levelled (as opposed to the way it should be levelled).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

I'd almost put my mortgage on exams going ahead this time.

1. There are exams on at the moment.

2. They are in the high court over the predicted grades fiasco.

3. That fiasco United parents, students, and unions against the farce. If they go ahead again it has the power to topple the govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Smacruairi wrote: »
    I'd almost put my mortgage on exams going ahead this time.

1. There are exams on at the moment.

2. They are in the high court over the predicted grades fiasco.

3. That fiasco United parents, students, and unions against the farce. If they go ahead again it has the power to topple the govt.

Yep, very hard to justify why the exams couldn't go ahead when schools are open with full attendance, particularly when 1200 cases a day were being reported at the start of this lockdown in October.

I would expect exams to go ahead relatively normally in June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Yep, very hard to justify why the exams couldn't go ahead when schools are open with full attendance, particularly when 1200 cases a day were being reported at the start of this lockdown in October.

I would expect exams to go ahead relatively normally in June.

The narrative from UK is that it wouldn't be fair to run exams due to students from different areas being unequally affected by Covid impacts. A few of our "educationalists" pushing this on twitter now too.

• Advertisement

Ciara Kelly got her daughter through her cancelled exams, so she won't give a flying this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Treppen

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Ciara Kelly got her daughter through her cancelled exams, so she won't give a flying this time.

Ya but her daughter wound up getting downgraded in 7 subjects, so she has enough lingering bitterness in that hoisted petard to campaign against it.

I suspect it won't be predicted grades next year but have no doubt that the knives are out for the established leaving cert.
    So Leaving Cycle it's going to be by hook or crook.
    CBAs to the power of 1,000,000

Treppen wrote: »
    Ya but her daughter wound up getting downgraded in 7 subjects, so she has enough lingering bitterness in that hoisted petard to campaign against it.

Did she? Ha poor girl 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The narrative from UK is that it wouldn't be fair to run exams due to students from different areas being unequally affected by Covid impacts. A few of our "educationalists" pushing this on twitter now too.

Despite all the various levels of lockdown at county level schools remained open throughout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Despite all the various levels of lockdown at county level schools remained open throughout.

Yes, but in fairness in some schools whole year groups are being sent home due to lack of teachers. Meanwhile, others unaffected. Also individuals out of school isolating repeatedly, while others unaffected - certain areas much worse affected than others.

To be clear, I think exams have to happen and are the best option still, but it is true that some have been badly affected by Covid impact on schools while others have not.

True, but they've changed some exam papers for this year to offer more choice.

I know some schools found it difficult, and I for one massively decry the DES inaction in terms of presenting any type of unified generic i instructions for remote learning, but to impede the 95%because 5%might have been disadvantaged for a few weeks, I couldn't remotely entertain that idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Honestly I think the changes are wholly inadequate at least for maths and music considering the time lost and the constant fear of 6th year being isolated. It’s turning 6th year into a complete rat run by all accounts and while I’m working from home now the pressure until then in oct was intense trying to get as much done in person as possible. I actually feel more sorry for these 6th years than last years tbh

Honestly I think the changes are wholly inadequate at least for maths and music considering the time lost and the constant fear of 6th year being isolated. It’s turning 6th year into a complete rat run by all accounts and while I’m working from home now the pressure until then in oct was intense trying to get as much done in person as possible. I actually feel more sorry for these 6th years than last years tbh

Ratrun is understating it. Predictive grades or not, there is a certain level of nuttyness in the air, especially since the distractions of extra curricular are gone.
    They were much needed welcome distractions in my opinion.

Advertisement