Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Music One Ireland

• 20-09-2020 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Mike Moloney’s online project launched last Monday on musicone.ie .. Chris Barry on at the moment playing a nice mix of tunes ...

He mentioned an 089 text number and a request or two so I’m guessing he may be live .. Anyone listening?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭tiswasfan

Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

tiswasfan wrote: »
    Nope

Thanks for your useful feedback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Music One Ireland started a few months ago, Maybe this is a relaunch. A number of the presenters were previously involved with the short-lived Gold Radio.

If you look at the presenters, there's a lot of experience there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Music One Ireland started a few months ago, Maybe this is a relaunch. A number of the presenters were previously involved with the short-lived Gold Radio.

If you look at the presenters, there's a lot of experience there.

Yes it’s a relaunch — according to their website they went live last Monday (the 14th). Had a listen for a while this morning and thought that - if anything - they could actually do with MORE imaging (jingles/sweepers between tracks instead of just going from song to song) but they’re on, and as you say they have some well known good presenters there .. so we’ll see!

Bard wrote: »
    Yes it’s a relaunch — according to their website they went live last Monday (the 14th). Had a listen for a while this morning and thought that - if anything - they could actually do with MORE imaging (jingles/sweepers between tracks instead of just going from song to song) but they’re on, and as you say they have some well known good presenters there .. so we’ll see!

As far as I can make out, there are just two changes from the original lineup. Electric Eddie and Sligo's Rory O'Brien are not on the schedule this time.

Radio experience includes 2FM, Century Radio, 98FM, Capital Radio/Rock104/FM104, Lite FM (now Q102), Dublin's Country 106.8 (now Sunshine 106.8), Classic Hits 4FM, Ocean FM, Spin South West, East Coast FM, Limerick's Live 95FM, Cork's 96FM, WLR and Radio Nova. Plenty of pirate radio experience here too. Some of them have international radio experience as well.

• Advertisement

Gold
    Music ONE
    I can't believe it's not RTE Gold - No USP
    Yet another online linear yawn radio station

Vague imaging to undefined audience demographic
    Broad playlist - smashie and nicey presentation style - too dated for a 'new' platform with massive competition?
    Tunein now proactively geoblocking, shrinking addressable market

'Professional Presenters' who will demand paying - so - money out
    Probably on IMRO/PPI radar - so - money out
    No advertising income - so - no money in

No/little money in + fixed and variable costs out = tried and tested recipe for business failure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

if it is being run as a business then yes .
    however it's unlikely this is being run as a business as even for the huge online networks, being able to operate as a business can only happen with online donations/subscriptions, advertising perhapse as extra income.
    for small scale operations depending on whoever their host may be they may be able to access in stream advertising and that is becoming more common i am noticing but it would probably only be enough just to pay the very basic bills if even, but that will probably grow as time goes on hopefully.
    presumably whoever owns it has the money to fund it so it will continue as long as that is the case?
    good luck to it anyway, not my bag but that's the beauty of online radio. people can operate and if things work brilliant and if not so be it.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Don't get me wrong, I wish no ill to anyone out there trying to make a difference and creating things, especially in the current macro-economic climate. I wish Music One all the best BUT there is plenty of precedence in radio where well-meaning ventures are not run as businesses... I just hate to see supporters/volunteers and/or shareholders burned (founders always seem to fare out alright, leaving a trail of scorched earth around them).

agreed but i can't see this being operated in such a way where this could happen, it's not terrestrial radio we are talking about here where vast somes of money are required and thus the risks are high for one's investment.
    internet radio while it does have costs, is cheap as chips to run really.
    certainly if presenters are being payed then that is an extra cost but to be honest i can't imagine any presenter on internet radio is being payed very much, if anything, unless perhapse they are on apple music radio.
    all involved i'm sure know the competitive market they are giving up their time to be involved in, i can't imagine this is their income.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RoryDublin

I’ve just listened...There are thousands and thousands of online radios like that :-(

• Advertisement

RoryDublin wrote: »
    I’ve just listened...There are thousands and thousands of online radios like that :-(

I suspect that many online stations (like this one) are there more as a hobby horse situation than necessarily commercial reasons. With the pandemic situation, there seems to be an increasing number of them springing up. What is more unusual, well certainly in Ireland, is the ones which are using experienced presenters. Another one which has sprung up recently is planetradio.ie from Galway. It's a new way of doing radio for those who want to try something different, particularly for those who, up until recently, did not bother much with online stations. It also is another avenue for those who are not currently getting radio presenting jobs. It keeps their hand in and their interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RoryDublin

Totally agree...unfortunately, very often, these radio stations sounds like a Spotify playlist with presenters.
    Radio must fight against Spotify!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

The following article is from Hotpress

https://www.hotpress.com/music/new-radio-station-music-one-ireland-goes-online-22833834

It mentions Jim O'Neill, who isn't appearing on the line up. However, Liam Quigley announced a few moments ago that there will be a "new boy" joining next week, so maybe it will be Jim?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭DublinKev

Tried to have a listen there and their stream is disastrous, kept buffering out.
    Would love to hear Hugh O'Brien back on air on a station like this, been many years since I heard him last, don't know if he's still around.

DublinKev wrote: »
    Tried to have a listen there and their stream is disastrous, kept buffering out.
    Would love to hear Hugh O'Brien back on air on a station like this, been many years since I heard him last, don't know if he's still around.

It's been like that from day one. The app and the website keep cutting out.

East Coast FM is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭peterobrien100

Got rid of the app of my phone constantly buffering and cutting out not a fan of the music selection even though they have some great Djs

How far back are you talking? His daytime job last I heard is solicitor, but he has done some part-time radio presenting over the years.

Hugh O'Brien was one of the original presenters for Lite FM (2000), Dublin's Country 106.8 (2002), Radio Nova (2010) - all Dublin-based, with the latter also covering the commuter belt. Hugh was also involved with a number of temporary license runs with Christmas FM. I think the last time I heard him was two or three years ago. During the '00s, he also turned up on temporary licensed Choice FM.

Actually, a lot of links there between Hugh and Mike Moloney. Mike was involved with all those stations with the exception of Choice FM. He did not join 106.8 straight away, though, unlike Hugh.

The Music One app keeps freezing and buffering and I think that its not compatible with older smart phones.It works fine through the myTuner Radio app on my iphone 5s.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

Did they ever solve the argument with 1music radio??

It's confirmed that Jim O'Neill has joined Music One Ireland. He will be doing the evening drive slot (4-7pm). Brian Walsh will be on 7-10pm weekdays, so no more Monster Music Mash.

• Advertisement

Trebor176 wrote: »
    It's confirmed that Jim O'Neill has joined Music One Ireland. He will be doing the evening drive slot (4-7pm). Brian Walsh will be on 7-10pm weekdays, so no more Monster Music Mash.

With the addition of Jim O'Neill, there are quite a few ex-2FM presenters involved. The others are: Mike Moloney, Liam Quigley, Robbie Irwin (sports in his case) and Bob Conway.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ITV2

zorro2566 wrote: »
    The Music One app keeps freezing and buffering and I think that its not compatible with older smart phones.It works fine through the myTuner Radio app on my iphone 5s.

It stutters/buffers badly on my Roberts radio, so not a phone issues it seems.

ITV2 wrote: »
    It stutters/buffers badly on my Roberts radio, so not a phone issues it seems.

Just read on their Twitter account that they sorted a tech problem with the server,and should be good now on a Roberts radio..

That’s good, but their app won’t work on older smart phones unlike other radio apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭DublinKev

How far back are you talking? His daytime job last I heard is solicitor, but he has done some part-time radio presenting over the years.

Hugh O'Brien was one of the original presenters for Lite FM (2000), Dublin's Country 106.8 (2002), Radio Nova (2010) - all Dublin-based, with the latter also covering the commuter belt. Hugh was also involved with a number of temporary license runs with Christmas FM. I think the last time I heard him was two or three years ago. During the '00s, he also turned up on temporary licensed Choice FM.

Actually, a lot of links there between Hugh and Mike Moloney. Mike was involved with all those stations with the exception of Choice FM. He did not join 106.8 straight away, though, unlike Hugh.

I think he was with The Rock too, maybe, in one of its incarnations, can't remember. It's many years since I've heard him now, think it would be great to hear him back on air. I knew he was a solicitor but he's probably not far off retirement age at this stage, time for those dulcet tones to make a reappearance hopefully. Rockin' the Bay.

I think he was with The Rock too, maybe, in one of its incarnations, can't remember. It's many years since I've heard him now, think it would be great to hear him back on air. I knew he was a solicitor but he's probably not far off retirement age at this stage, time for those dulcet tones to make a reappearance hopefully. Rockin' the Bay.

That was Hugh O'Brien's great catch phrase! He certainly would fit in as a presenter on Music One Ireland, but he may not be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Dipped in and out, pretty uninspired lacklustre playlist of the standard oldies. How long will they all to work for free?!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

Dipped in and out, pretty uninspired lacklustre playlist of the standard oldies. How long will they all to work for free?!

Do internet radio stations make money and if so, how?

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    Do internet radio stations make money and if so, how?

listener donations/subscriptions, web advertising, adverts that play before the stream begins or during the stream at certain points are generally the methods of gaining income, and it won't be a lot unless you are one of the big networks like soma fm or di.fm etc.
    some stations might make a very very tiny profit, others definitely don't make anything and others might break even.
    as a hobby it's quite a good one for some but i wouldn't be expecting to be able to suplament your income from the day job with any income from the station if there would even be any.

• Advertisement

I enjoy the station, they have a big playlist and don’t keep playing the same oldies as other stations in that genre. It’ll slot in easily for RTÉ Gold if or when it closes.

I enjoy the station, they have a big playlist and don’t keep playing the same oldies as other stations in that genre. It’ll slot in easily for RTÉ Gold if or when it closes.

Main man Mike Moloney has done a stint on RTE Gold as it happens.

But you forgot to tell us what slot on Music One you are on when you were giving that high praise plug! :cool::eek::confused:

I dont have anything to do with them or any radio station,I simply enjoy it the same as I enjoy many other stations.

They’ve changed their name to More Music Ireland and their Facebook and Twitter pages are gone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I've actually started enjoying this station, I stick it on in the afternoons while working from home after RTÉ Gold switches to jukebox mode. Either this or 8radio. Good to hear Jim O'Neil, one of those voices who always seems to be on air somewhere.

No idea how they are keeping going with a full line up of presenters and no ads, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I've actually started enjoying this station, I stick it on in the afternoons while working from home after RTÉ Gold switches to jukebox mode. Either this or 8radio. Good to hear Jim O'Neil, one of those voices who always seems to be on air somewhere.

No idea how they are keeping going with a full line up of presenters and no ads, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

You'll catch ex-RTÉ Radio 2FM/ex-Today fm DJ, Jim O'Neill on East Coast FM on Sundays from 10:00am-2:00pm on Solid Gold Sunday. I recall him on the old Radio 2FM back in the day with "Thing" and in latter years on 100-102 Today FM.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/2fm-radio-station-still-cominatcha-after-35-years-30316876.html

https://www.eastcoast.fm/on-air/schedule/2021/04/25/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I remember "Thing" though not clearly..was it a dog or a character voice effect that used to be heard every so often on Jim O'Neills Drivetime show?
    Like Tony Blackburn had on BBC R1 "Arnold the Dog"?

Working for free helps!

Working for free helps!

It does, but that'll only last so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I remember "Thing" though not clearly..was it a dog or a character voice effect that used to be heard every so often on Jim O'Neills Drivetime show?
    Like Tony Blackburn had on BBC R1 "Arnold the Dog"?

HaHa :D - We're probably of a similar age as my memory of "Thing" is also a very distant memory. I think it was best described as a sound affect that was inspired and/or created by Jim O'Neill while in studio. It was unique on Irish radio back in the day given that there was little or no official radio alternative from Ireland apart from RTÉ Radio as you only had pirate stations broadcasting although; you had the option of tuning in to BBC Radio stations & you also had Radio Luxembourg from 7:00pm each night back in the 1980's on Medium Wave or BBC Radio 4 on Long Wave but reception was often unreliable especially during daytime in many parts of the country unless you lived near the Border or along the east and south coastline.

I don't ever remember listening to Tony Blackburn on radio back in the day so; I do not remember the character you referenced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I wonder if they had to rename because of issues with "Apple Music 1" as opposed to "1Music Ireland".

JDxtra wrote: »
    I wonder if they had to rename because of issues with "Apple Music 1" as opposed to "1Music Ireland".

I was wondering about 1Music Ireland myself - I forgot about Apple Music 1!

They're still going strong,wondering what the listenership figures are like and how it pays for itself though!

I've found that it won't play through my Ikea Sonos speakers at the moment. Just get a load of preroll ads, the station never starts. Still works on the tunein app on my phone.

I happened to hear a bit of Rory O'Brien this evening standing in for Mick Mulcahy. He is another smooth-voiced presenter like Liam Quigley. If they were changing their station name again, they could call it Smooth Music Ireland!

I just spotted an error from Rory, as I was about to Post Comment! He said Go Now was by Mannfred Mann, when in fact it was by The Moody Blues! This could be excused by the fact that they have a very large music library to choose from, compared to most stations on the regular airwaves!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭VanHalen

Mike Moloney and Roger Lane from MMI were both on Christmas FM online yesterday

They have both been involved with Christmas FM for a while. Roger Lane is a new addition to More Music Ireland, though. Is it Lisa Gernon that he has replaced?

Correct. I believe Lisa is taking a break and he’s doing the slots she vacated

I know this discussion is labelled Music One Ireland which morphed into More Music Ireland. They’ve announced that the station will cease broadcasting this Friday. This is a pity - it’s staffed by veterans who are allowed to voice opinions and has a playlist of thousands of tracks unlike our tightly formatted FM stations.

I for one will miss it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement