Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cleaning windscreen with household glass cleaner?

Options
  • 29-11-2020 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭

Hi, I cleaned the side windows and inside of the windscreen today with Tesco window and glass cleaner, the spray type, (Windolene equivalent I guess).

Would you detailing experts advise doing the outside with it? How would it react to rain, would it smear badly?

Also, the car is an 80's one so has screen rubber, not bonded. Would it react badly with the rubber?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I've never done it on the outside so I don't know. I've used it on the inside alright. If you are looking for a cheap hack, I have used the can of coke trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I was not looking for a cheap hack as such. Is there a proper product I should use? I don't know about the coke trick, would that not be very sticky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Shaving foam is supposed to be great, keeps your glass from fogging up too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

im curious on this myself as my window needs good clean, does it leave smear marks using window cleaner?
    What did you use to clean, kitchen roll or cloth?

im curious on this myself as my window needs good clean, does it leave smear marks using window cleaner?
    What did you use to clean, kitchen roll or cloth?

I think you are asking me?

It did a great job on the insides (and otside of side windows), I just used kitchen paper. Sprayed it on then used 3 bits of paper to remove it, moving on to the next one until it was streak free. I guess micro fiber would have been best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I was not looking for a cheap hack as such. Is there a proper product I should use? I don't know about the coke trick, would that not be very sticky?

Not if you rinse it down well afterwards. The citric acid in the coke gets rid of any scum on the glass.

My usual treatment is Gtechniq G6 on the inside followed by CarPro FogFight. Then dont touch the glass at all for at least a month.

Outside it's wash, clay, IPA wipedown, Gtechniq G6 and then Gtechniq G5 applied Outside is usually then good for a few months.

Edit - I've not had to polish the glass, yet.......

Ah, I see what you mean, I might give it a try. And I'll look up those products you mention, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Vinegar and water

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

I think you are asking me?

It did a great job on the insides (and otside of side windows), I just used kitchen paper. Sprayed it on then used 3 bits of paper to remove it, moving on to the next one until it was streak free. I guess micro fiber would have been best.

Done that over weekend. Will go over again as its not entirely streak free but an improvement anyway

Advertisement