Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best wireless alarm with live cameras

Options
  • 29-11-2020 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Just wondering what the best Wireless alarm would be Which would include notification to my phone.
    My folks house was broken into.
    Want to change the existing alarm which is too old.
    The house has no WiFi though.
    So, are these simm type routers any good for connectivity?
    Thanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

HKC equipment ticks all the boxes in the domestic sphere.

It does not matter that the house has no Wifi, the system and all others provide their own wireless network which is in the 868 mhz range and have their complete range of detectors.

The HKC Communicator known as the GSM/ WIFI, will function away with a World Sim onboard across all mobile networks, the unavailability of Wifi will not matter here either.

All Installation companies are very familiar with HKC equipment as it is the most popular and indeed the benchmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

kub wrote: »
    HKC equipment ticks all the boxes in the domestic sphere.

It does not matter that the house has no Wifi, the system and all others provide their own wireless network which is in the 868 mhz range and have their complete range of detectors.

The HKC Communicator known as the GSM/ WIFI, will function away with a World Sim onboard across all mobile networks, the unavailability of Wifi will not matter here either.

All Installation companies are very familiar with HKC equipment as it is the most popular and indeed the benchmark.
    Do you know of any good installers of alarms?

Do you know of any good installers of alarms?

With respect to Forum rules we cannot advertise or mention particular installation companies.

An installation company is legally obliged to have a PSA licence and you as a consumer is also obliged to employ a contractor who is licensed.

I would recommend that you consult the below link which is the list of licensed contractors and select 3 off that list that are in your own area and get written quotes from each one.

https://www.psa.gov.ie/en/PSA/ContractorList/1

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Coollerz

Hi there! Check the Ajax website. They produce professional products for house security. You will see a large list of available devices, but you do not have to order all of them, you can pick up what you need only. I use their motion sensors and fire detectors with a siren. They also connected my old cameras to the system, so I can monitor the situation through a phone app. I suppose they can suit you, they do not charge a lot compared with others. Anyway, find several variants and choose the most appropriate one for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Can you buy and install the HKC stuff yourself?

I am assuming an installation company will tie you into one of these dreadful monitoring agreements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

Shemale wrote: »
    Can you buy and install the HKC stuff yourself?

I am assuming an installation company will tie you into one of these dreadful monitoring agreements.

Yes you can buy and install your own equipment.
    You would only be tied into a agreement if you signed into one.
    HKC systems can be defaulted and set back up once you own the equipment.

altor wrote: »
    Yes you can buy and install your own equipment.
    You would only be tied into a agreement if you signed into one.
    HKC systems can be defaulted and set back up once you own the equipment.

Thanks

Thanks

No Problem

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

I’ve been using Ring and have found it great!

Musefan wrote: »
    I’ve been using Ring and have found it great!

Does that have vibration sensors?

• Advertisement

I have Ring and got the alarm including cameras from the US using AddressPal as it was way cheaper than this side of the pond.

One of my sensors is faulty so I ordered one and two spares from the US using AddressPal (the EU and US systems are not compatible). The US sensors are 2nd generation and $19.99 each, so it was about $65 including shipping to US AP. However, their shipping company split the order, shipping each sensor separately :mad: so each sensor cost $19.99 + €16.99 (AP) and they put the cost on two of the boxes so even though shipped separately(no VAT if under €22) I have been charged €34 in VAT and An Post charged, so it worked out at €46 per sensor.

I will change alarm when I have an issue with sensors, terrible decision from the outset buying from US.

altor wrote: »
    Does that have vibration sensors?

No, just open close.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 scut_07

I am currently looking to get the Hikvision Ax Pro system from bestalarms.eu. Looks to be a good system from what I've seen online, may be worth considering also.

I have Ring and got the alarm including cameras from the US using AddressPal as it was way cheaper than this side of the pond.

One of my sensors is faulty so I ordered one and two spares from the US using AddressPal (the EU and US systems are not compatible). The US sensors are 2nd generation and $19.99 each, so it was about $65 including shipping to US AP. However, their shipping company split the order, shipping each sensor separately :mad: so each sensor cost $19.99 + €16.99 (AP) and they put the cost on two of the boxes so even though shipped separately(no VAT if under €22) I have been charged €34 in VAT and An Post charged, so it worked out at €46 per sensor.

I will change alarm when I have an issue with sensors, terrible decision from the outset buying from US.

Aren't the gen1 sensors compatible with the gen2 system? Think you can mix and match sensors as it's backward compatible.

scut_07 wrote: »
    I am currently looking to get the Hikvision Ax Pro system from bestalarms.eu. Looks to be a good system from what I've seen online, may be worth considering also.

You might let us know how that goes for you, i have been told that it is not possible to set this system to part guard, so i am curious.

You might let us know how that goes for you, i have been told that it is not possible to set this system to part guard, so i am curious.

Ya I will do, I'm doing my research around at the moment to try and find the best price, seems to vary alot from place to place. Unfortunately I don't think there's any resellers in Ireland. I believe you can arm for home and away modes, also you arm by zones individually through the app. Is this what your referring too?

Aren't the gen1 sensors compatible with the gen2 system? Think you can mix and match sensors as it's backward compatible.

The sensors are but my base station and all sensors and cameras are on the US frequency, whereas the EU sensors are a different frequency so they cannot talk to each other.

Ya I will do, I'm doing my research around at the moment to try and find the best price, seems to vary alot from place to place. Unfortunately I don't think there's any resellers in Ireland. I believe you can arm for home and away modes, also you arm by zones individually through the app. Is this what your referring too?

AES in Cork will be stocking it, it is indeed one of a very few for some strange reason.

https://www.aesireland.ie/

AES in Cork will be stocking it, it is indeed one of a very few for some strange reason.

https://www.aesireland.ie/

Cheers kub, I'll give them a shout, want to support local as much as possible.

Advertisement