Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

-3 second round means he makes the cut at -1. Cut at evens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭techdiver

Out with Tiger again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭abff

There’s amazing coverage on www.masters.com. You can click on a player's name and see every shot they play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

abff wrote: »
    There’s amazing coverage on www.masters.com. You can click on a player's name and see every shot they play.

Better late than never 😌

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Shane about Tiger's 10 on the 12th at the Masters
    "Anytime he hit a bad drive he’d say to his caddy, 'Ah there was like one of yours Joey'.

"We were stood on the 13th tee and my caddy Bo Martin said to me, I wonder what he’d say if I said to him, 'I bet you wished Joey had hit that one'. But I couldn’t say that to him. I bottled it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Shane needs to seriously look at where he is right now with his game.He has been very poor most of the time since he won the Open. I may be wrong, but only one top ten finish.Hope he can turn it around and start competing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Shane needs to seriously look at where he is right now with his game.He has been very poor most of the time since he won the Open. I may be wrong, but only one top ten finish.Hope he can turn it around and start competing again.

Nobody is happy with his performance since The Open , but definitely is going in the right direction now.

He just finished 25th in the Masters , he is not exactly struggling on the Swiss alps tour.

Definitely trending the right way now. People need ro remember we have very few players from the Republic of Ireland that ever compete at the top level, never mind majors and US.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Topsy turvey round from Shane yesterday on PGA Tour event.

Starting on the 10th he only had one par in his first nine holes, with 5 birdies
    including 3 in a row and 3 bogeys.

On the second nine he had 3 birdies in a row again and a double bogey at a par
    five.

Just 6 pars in 18 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭abff

He has had 1 top 10 on the US tour and a runner up finish in SA since he won the Open. He has also finished between 11th and 15th on 8 occasions, so it’s not all bad. But definitely not as good as his fans would have hoped for after his Open win.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,644 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Look at the winners on the PGA tour since lockdown, outside of Sergio Garcia and Carlos Ortiz they are all full time resident in the US. In the last two normal seasons on the PGA tour you had many winners who weren't resident there.
    In Europe I think Tyrrell Hatton is the only top 50 golfer in the world rankings to win a tournament.

Times are tough even for golfers because of travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Shane out of the blocks fast -2 after 4 do be walking off 11 +4.

Strange from Shane for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Shane needs to get going here to make the cut

Needs 1 if not 2 shots on last few holes

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Bogey on the par 5 there, that's him done

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Looks like another missed cut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Looks like another missed cut

Not looks like...it is a missed cut unless John Wayne is planning to be out in the morning with a rifle and take out some golfers

Bad day for Shane.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Just a whole bunch of meh from him since he won the open. Really hasn’t pushed on at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

fullstop wrote: »
    Just a whole bunch of meh from him since he won the open. Really hasn’t pushed on at all.

What did people really expect of him, he wasn't exactly winning all round him prior to it

Conditions etc clicked for him that weekend and no one else

What did people really expect of him, he wasn't exactly winning all round him prior to it

Conditions etc clicked for him that weekend and no one else

Don’t know what ‘people’ expected, but personally would have expected it to give him a boost and put a bit of a run together. he should have been threatening Ryder Cup this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Don’t know what ‘people’ expected, but personally would have expected it to give him a boost and put a bit of a run together. he should have been threatening Ryder Cup this year.

Give him a chance! Season's just started, I expect he'll comfortably make the Ryder Cup team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

I'd imagine he picked up a decent enough cheque today?

Happy4all wrote: »

For 29th place in an event with €3m prize fund?! About €20k I would guess.

Give him a chance! Season's just started, I expect he'll comfortably make the Ryder Cup team.

Well he’s 37th in the points list, might want to get a wriggle on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

For 29th place in an event with €3m prize fund?! About €20k I would guess.

Prize fund didn’t draw the field. The appearance money did. He would have got north of 1 million for turning up.

Rackstar wrote: »
    Prize fund didn’t draw the field. The appearance money did. He would have got north of 1 million for turning up.

Going by Peter Lawrie’s comments on OTB, no. Only the top guys were getting €1m+, probably a couple of hundred thousand. But obviously that’s all unofficial money and doesn’t count towards rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Well he’s 37th in the points list, might want to get a wriggle on.

There’s 7 months, 4 majors, sawgrass, a bunch of WGCs all between now and selection date. Whilst I agree he could be in better form it’s not exactly panic stations just yet. A win or a handful of top 10s and top 5s and he would be right back in the mix.

The publicity around how good pals he is with Harrington goes against him if you ask me, means he will have to absolutely earn his slot beyond reproach. If he doesnt qualify automatically he will need to be in the first 5 or 6 to not make it, anything outside that and Harrington won’t fancy the scrutiny of picking him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Happy4all wrote: »

Not prize money but I'd imagine he got a nice wad of Oil money.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

There’s 7 months, 4 majors, sawgrass, a bunch of WGCs all between now and selection date. Whilst I agree he could be in better form it’s not exactly panic stations just yet. A win or a handful of top 10s and top 5s and he would be right back in the mix.
    I guess the point/worry is that he hasnt shown anything that would lead you to believe top 10s or top 5s are on the horizon, he needs to move on from scraping top 30s first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Seems more and more likely that the big wins are major (har har) outliers in his career and he could be one of those guys who hangs around for years and nips in and out of the winners circle very occasionally, most guys dont even get that much so its not like it should be a shock or seen as a failure imo.

Advertisement