Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating on the Nintendo Switch Online

Options
  • 15-03-2019 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I'm about 3 weeks in to owning a switch, and I have to say I love it. I cannot stop playing MK8 deluxe.

I like to play games online against human players, MK8 is great for this.
    I'm currently around 1807 points.

One thing I have noticed though is that there is huge amount of cheating going on in online play on MK8

I'm always racing against players that have scores of over 10,000. (this is a near impossible score) and often racing against players with a score of over 20,000. By my calculations the absolute best score it's possible to attain on MK8 is somewhere between 5,700 and 8,000. And you'd wanna be an MK God to get that as you'd only get 2 or 3 points for coming first in a race, but lose a heap for coming below second.

I've also noticed sometimes when I hit a player with a weapon, they spin but there kart keeps moving, (I know for sure they don't have a Boost)

I played MK a hell of lot on the Wii and there way people modding/cheating back then, I didn't mind so much as the service was free.
    But now that I have to pay for Nintendo online, I have an issue with this.

What's more there is no way to report a player that is cheating, you can block them in the Mii Menu on the Switch Home Screen, but the sheer volume of cheaters is taking away from the enjoyment of the game.

Even now if you look on Adverts.ie there are people selling Switches that have "Not been updated", IE you can MOD this console if you wish.

Does anyone know if Nintendo intends to Ban cheaters?

Microsoft and Bungie had this problem in early 2005, with Halo 2 as the modders started cheating online. Bungie used the so called "Ban Hammer" to lock people out of Halo forever, MS took an even heavier approach with MOD'd consoles (they bricked them)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Can't say I've ever come across this issue, and I've played about 50 hours of Mario Kart. My score is roughly 2200 and I generally get paired with people of a reasonably similar score.
    There was reports months ago of a lot of cheating going on in Splatoon 2 but again I don't think I ever witnessed any first hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Can't say I've ever come across this issue, and I've played about 50 hours of Mario Kart. My score is roughly 2200 and I generally get paired with people of a reasonably similar score.
    There was reports months ago of a lot of cheating going on in Splatoon 2 but again I don't think I ever witnessed any first hand.

I'll get some screenshots up for you.

I've no idea how to record my screen on the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Holding the button that takes a screen shot saves the last 30 seconds as a video (i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

grahambo wrote: »
    I'll get some screenshots up for you.

I've no idea how to record my screen on the switch.

No worries. Not doubting what you're saying either. I guess I've just been lucky that I haven't come across it. Or if I have come across it and I wasn't aware of it.

Thankfully there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of reports of cheating on Switch. Like I mentioned earlier, Splatoon went through a phase of having cheating going on but that seems to have died down now.

Is it everytime you play MK8 this happens or just occasionally?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

No worries. Not doubting what you're saying either. I guess I've just been lucky that I haven't come across it. Or if I have come across it and I wasn't aware of it.

Thankfully there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of reports of cheating on Switch. Like I mentioned earlier, Splatoon went through a phase of having cheating going on but that seems to have died down now.

Is it everytime you play MK8 this happens or just occasionally?

I'm going to say not eveytime but it is often.

I'll get some videos up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

If they're editing their saves and stuff and playing online they've got to be on the latest firmware so it can't be long until they receive a ban surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Just like to add to this thread to say there's somebody who appears to be from Germany playing mariokart who has a crazy amount of online points and always finishes first by quite a distance in any races. Admittedly he/she could just be a very good driver but I don't see how

I've played him/her a few times in the "regional" online group... Quite annoying

Rant over

Advertisement