Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Martins should i get a size too big or too small?

Options
  • 18-09-2010 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

i always take a size 7uk.
    i tried on a pair of Dr Martins size 7 and i kinda feel theyre too big.. not big in length more big in width... and around the heel. hard to walk in.
    i tried a 6 but they were too small because my toes tiped off the top of the show when i walked in them...

Should i get the 6? will they get bigger with wear?

Do any other Dr.Martin wearers feel like this? or am i just being paranoid or maybe im just not used to wearing bug heavy boots lik Dr.Martins?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Get neither, they're the most uncomfortable things ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

baileymay wrote: »
    i always take a size 7uk.
    i tried on a pair of Dr Martins size 7 and i kinda feel theyre too big.. not big in length more big in width... and around the heel. hard to walk in.
    i tried a 6 but they were too small because my toes tiped off the top of the show when i walked in them...

Should i get the 6? will they get bigger with wear?

Do any other Dr.Martin wearers feel like this? or am i just being paranoid or maybe im just not used to wearing bug heavy boots lik Dr.Martins?

As a proud DM wearer for over 20 years do not listen to the heretic - get the size too big - Docs always feel too big (to be honest either way they are a swine to break in and your feet will suffer but will suffer worse from too small).

After the initial suffering you feel be wearing the most comfortable and most beautiful shoe ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 baileymay

ZOLTAN28 wrote: »
    As a proud DM wearer for over 20 years do not listen to the heretic - get the size too big - Docs always feel too big (to be honest either way they are a swine to break in and your feet will suffer but will suffer worse from too small).

After the initial suffering you feel be wearing the most comfortable and most beautiful shoe ever made.

well i bought the size 7 but i was thinking about bringing them back and getting the 6...
    im confused by what youre saying... how will they become comfortable if theyre too big? would it not be better to get the smaller ones and wear them in?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

I have the same size as I wear in anything else. iv had a good few pairs of boots and shoes. the oil oxbloods get worn pretty much everyday. most comfortable footwear iv ever had

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

baileymay wrote: »
    well i bought the size 7 but i was thinking about bringing them back and getting the 6...
    im confused by what youre saying... how will they become comfortable if theyre too big? would it not be better to get the smaller ones and wear them in?

If you get some Bob Martins, you might find the correct forum.:P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Moved from Celebs & Showbiz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭donna.s

I wear the same size I do in other shoes, they feel a little big but that's because I'm in between sizes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

If shoes are too big, put an insole in them, might need two if very big. If you do, glue them both togther & insert them as one.

If shoes are two small & you need to stretch them. Put a strong plastic inside them, fill with water. Knot the bag at the top. Put the whole lot in a bigger clean plastic bag & put it in the freezer until the water freezes. Then take it out, let the ice melt & you'll have stretched the shoes. Put them in the hot press to dry out.

I doesnt work for all shoes & I try not to use it on the expensive ones, just in case but works most of the time. (I take no responsibility if this goes wrong, obviously the material in the shoe etc needs to be considered!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Doc Martens won't stretch over time while you are wearing them (imo); don't get the 6.

Get the 7 and wear thick socks.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

amdublin wrote: »
    Doc Martens won't stretch over time while you are wearing them (imo); don't get the 6.

That's what I do, I'm a narrow 7 normally, my size 7 Docs are marginally too big, I wear 2 pairs of socks with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I'm wearing a size 5 now and I have a pair of socks on with them! I'd just get your normal size. Maybe go into a local store and try them on to be sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

amdublin wrote: »

Exactly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Sorry to drag up an old thread! But I have the exact same problem.
    Usually take a 10 in a boot/shoe. 11 in trainer.
    Tried on a Doc boot today in 10 and had loads of space up top.
    Tried on a 9 and it fits well, but my left toes go right up to the top, not scrunched up, but if walking for a bit, I wonder would it make a difference...
    Might go in and get the 10s and hold on to them for a day or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I don't like wearing thick socks so I always get mine a size small. I usually wear a 7.5 or an 8 but in Docs I wear a 6.5. They're uncomfortable for the first few wears but once they loosen up they're super comfortable.
    I've gotten one pair in a 7.5 and even with thick socks they're too big and give me blisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

I think the sizing is fairly dead on. I wouldnt risk getting a size small

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I am normally a size 6 1/2 - 7 and have a pair of size 8 DM. I tried the seven and although it felt wide it was a bit short lenght wise. The size 8 were great as they did not hurt me breaking them in.

Advertisement