Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shopping in New York

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I am officially going to New York tomorrow :D We're staying about 10 minutes walk from Times Square. Planning on going to Charlotte Russe, Forever21, Macy's, Hot Topic, MAC Pro, Sephora and Ulta. Anyone got any other recommendations for clothes shops? I don't really know how to explain my style, I'm a 'metaller' but I think I do it in a pretty stylish way, if that makes any sense?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

One thing that bugged me as an alt-clothing wearer is the lack of alt clothes shops in NY, especially Manhatten. I couldn't find a Hot Topic there so I went to White Plains mall and had a shop around in there instead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Urban Outfitters is not really SoHo, more east village.

Well there are loads of Urban Outfitters in NY! The one I was in was 375 W Broadway, SoHo and it's just down the street from Topshop which is addressed as SoHo so I don't know! I'm not great with NY addresses and street names, was only there for a week! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

I am officially going to New York tomorrow :D We're staying about 10 minutes walk from Times Square. Planning on going to Charlotte Russe, Forever21, Macy's, Hot Topic, MAC Pro, Sephora and Ulta. Anyone got any other recommendations for clothes shops? I don't really know how to explain my style, I'm a 'metaller' but I think I do it in a pretty stylish way, if that makes any sense?

Is it just shopping you will be doing or do you want to have some chill time, taking in the sights??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

I know it's exciting to shop,but I just wouldn't be able to keep up with that. I would want lots of sight seeing (though I've been there several times) and a bit of shopping. That's just me I suppose. Hope you have a blast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

i have to admit its worth getting the bus out to jersey gardens for some shopping or even woodbury common while youre there! the bus out isnt that much as far as i remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Eerie

Hey Guys,

Heading to NYC next week - yeay! Have never been there before but I'm in the USA/Canada 4-5 times a year so am looking for somewhere to shop that is uniquely new york. Not really interested in A&F, Macy's etc as I can go there anytime! Is there anywhere that has small boutique-style stores or something different than the norm?

Thanks in advance!:)

Apologies if this has been covered before - I skimmed most of the other posts on this thread and didn't find anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

i have to admit its worth getting the bus out to jersey gardens for some shopping or even woodbury common while youre there! the bus out isnt that much as far as i remember

Yeah, I went to Jersey Gardens and it was pretty cool! Took us a half an hour to find the door to get out, the place is that big! :o The bus only takes about forty five minutes though and it's something like eleven dollars so it is worth a trip! There's an A&F there without the queue, Forever 21, Aldo, Tommy Hilfiger, Old Navy and yeah, LOADS! I can't remember what else but it's good! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 dante2

being to new york three times and always go to woodbury common for tommy and ralph and guess stuff always cheaper if your going to woodbury join the premier outlet. com vip club for free and it gives ya extra discount coupons like 25% off in guess and 15% off in calvin klien always different ones and are always more then ya get in the discount book so ya can save more!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭millyvanilli

Hi,
    Please move this if it is in the wrong place ..but can some one suggest what to wear to a show in New York in December, (want to bring as little cloths as possible to leave room for shopping) just wondering is it formal or what can anyone suggest :confused::confused: many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I'm off to NYC on December 10th, first time in the states.. sooo excited.. Going with my family who've been loads of times so they're taking me to Woodbury and those other big places.. Gona bring an empty suitcase with me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

for alt clothing go to yellow rat bastard. its near chinatown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Hi,
    Please move this if it is in the wrong place ..but can some one suggest what to wear to a show in New York in December, (want to bring as little cloths as possible to leave room for shopping) just wondering is it formal or what can anyone suggest :confused::confused: many thanks
    Its not formal at all. Some people will dress up to the nines. Some people will wear jeans so really just go with what you are comfortable in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 embermine

I am hoping to go to NY very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dublingal80

xzanti wrote: »
    I'm off to NYC on December 10th, first time in the states.. sooo excited.. Going with my family who've been loads of times so they're taking me to Woodbury and those other big places.. Gona bring an empty suitcase with me :D

oh you lucky thing!! you will LOVE it!! bring an empty suitcase and put an empty wheely sports bag into it... you use this for when you go to Woodbury because you will end up buying LOADS and its near impossible to carry the bags around with you. a wheely sports bag is just a god send!! :)

Dont forget jersey gardens. HUGE shopping centre that has no tax on anything at all.

for both woodbury and jersey gardens id recommend printing out a map and a list and mark everywhere you want to go to, shoe places first... because after a couple of hours you wont want to be bending down trying on shoes, or your feet will be too swollen

both woodbury and jersey have SO many shops that you could be there for at least 8 hours easy, and not see every shop. So deffo plan ahead and markt he places you really want to go to :D

have a blast!

Hrududu wrote: »
    Its not formal at all. Some people will dress up to the nines. Some people will wear jeans so really just go with what you are comfortable in.

I agree!! I went and saw the rocketts in radio city music hall the 1st night i landed in new york. So i went in jeans, a top and runners!! others were more casual than me, others were way dressed up. so just go with whatever you are comfy in and have fun!!!

Hrududu wrote: »

Thanks hrududu that's great..more space for shopping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

hey I am off to New York for family wedding on the 5th! Cannot wait! very excited altogether....
    ANY more hints on plus size stores? i'd be an irish 16- 20 (depending on the store and my fluctuating weight)...
    I go to the palisades mall mostly its AMAZING- Torrid, Lane Bryant and Fashion to Figure. I dont usually look in modells or old navy cos i figure they wouldnt have plus sizes in store.... can anyone advise me on other stores that would be size friendly...? Cheers!

Hi
    looking at the above web site I see there are three shops in New York, anyone been to any of them and which is the best one.:confused:I love their jeans and find them a great fit (for me)
    MV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pisteoff

Only seeking this now but hope you enjoyed the trip. Woodbury Common was the best in my estimation. Diane Von Furstenburg shop has same stock as they had on Fifth Ave in Saks only for half the price so thought it was well worth the visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Hi
    looking at the above web site I see there are three shops in New York, anyone been to any of them and which is the best one.:confused:I love their jeans and find them a great fit (for me)
    MV

I was on macys website and saw them last night.. Maybe you could check out in there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Hi
    MV

I got them in Bloomingdales,also got Joe's Jeans there. V nice. Going back in Jan, can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

all_smilz wrote: »
    hey I am off to New York for family wedding on the 5th! Cannot wait! very excited altogether....
    ANY more hints on plus size stores? i'd be an irish 16- 20 (depending on the store and my fluctuating weight)...
    I go to the palisades mall mostly its AMAZING- Torrid, Lane Bryant and Fashion to Figure. I dont usually look in modells or old navy cos i figure they wouldnt have plus sizes in store.... can anyone advise me on other stores that would be size friendly...? Cheers!

Old Navy do a good selection of plus size!
    Macy's have a plus size floor as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭sidelines

Quality wrote: »
    I was on macys website and saw them last night.. Maybe you could check out in there?

They definitely sell them in Macys & Bloomingdales. They are also on sale on the Nordstrom website at the moment too!

thanks to every one

so is anyone going over to NYC for the black friday sales??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fredchurch

if you go shopping in n.y.c. its a good idea to get into the habit of carrying your money inside your bra. lots of sleezy people there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LBT

so is anyone going over to NYC for the black friday sales??

I am can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rusty10

Going to NYC in December. Not sure whether to go to Woodbury Common or Tanger Outlet. Has anyone been to both? If so, which is the best? I'm interested in shoes, handbags and makeup (which woman isn't??!!) and designers like TH, RL and Guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭GSpoon

Rusty10 wrote: »
    Going to NYC in December. Not sure whether to go to Woodbury Common or Tanger Outlet. Has anyone been to both? If so, which is the best? I'm interested in shoes, handbags and makeup (which woman isn't??!!) and designers like TH, RL and Guess.

Woodbury Comman has all three stores and many more.. Ralph Lauren and Guess were my favourites .. spent so much money... There are actually two RL stores there!!!

Woodbury Comman is definately worth a trip;)... havent heard anything about Tanger outlet im afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Rusty10 wrote: »

Just an FYI, Guess in the outlets is specially made for the outlets and isn't the same as normal Guess.

Sorry if this is a really vague question but..

Just want to put into perspective what sort of savings we're talking about here.. I hear everyone talking about bringing empty suitcases with them etc.. Like how much further will my money go over there?

For example, what you would get for your €100/$148.46 here compared to in NY or vice versa? I'm planning on bringing around $1,500 for 3 nights.. Will that cover me for nights out, food etc and a good bit of shopping (ie fill a suitcase) or will I need more??

Sorry if this has been asked before, I had a quick look but couldn't see it asked.

Thanks..

PS.. I'm going in 21 days and counting :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

xzanti I'm so jealous even though I'm only back from NY about 2 weeks!

$1400 did me for a full week for all the general touristy day to day stuff ... eating out, sightseing, went to a basketball at MSG, travel (subway metro card and a train to Philly for the day) etc

I didn't scrimp on anything to be honest and I still had $400 left over on the last day so I spent about $200 on clothes/shoes and the rest on pressies!

Eating out for dinner I found relatively expensive - usually asbout $70 to $100 plus tip for 2 people. Go to Eisenburgs on 174 5th Ave, (Btwn 22nd & 23rd St) They do THE BEST hot pastrami sandwich for about $8. Seriously!

I bought a few really nice pairs of jeans in American Eagle for $40 each and a gorgeous pair of Steve Madden shoes for $90. A girl in work was there the week after me and she went to woodbury common. She said there were loads of promotions on - like Nine West were doing buy one get one free! I found Guess was pretty reasonable and that was in the non outlet stores - definately a bargain compared to what you'd buy here!

Also go to Filene's Basement at Union Square - It's a really good discount store and not half as manic as Century 21

Hopefully there'll still be some thanksgiving sales on so you should have more than enough to go on a spending spree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Orlee :) much appreciated

LBT wrote: »
    I am can't wait!

where do you plan to head to? old navy is opening at 3am!!!

• Advertisement

GSpoon wrote: »
    Woodbury Comman has all three stores and many more.. Ralph Lauren and Guess were my favourites .. spent so much money... There are actually two RL stores there!!!

Woodbury Comman is definately worth a trip;)... havent heard anything about Tanger outlet im afraid.

id definitely go to woodbury commons. its in such a pretty location and there are plenty of shops besides the 3 you are looking for. you will buy so much and you honestly wont spend as much as you think. They have excellent shoe shops, loads that have a selection of different brands, lots of handbag shops (the coach shop has excellent sales for thanksgiving) and they have great beauty shops that sell lovely make up, even the free gift sets you get here when you spend however much on creams.. they sell them for about ten dollars which make excellent stocking fillers.

I promise you, if you go to woodbury you wont regret it. just bring a wheelie sports bag to put all your purchases into as your hands will kill you if you have to carry them

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭DubLass

Im going in two and a half weeks I cant wait - Im going to print off this thread so I dont miss any important info :D

DubLass wrote: »
    Im going in two and a half weeks I cant wait - Im going to print off this thread so I dont miss any important info :D

oh you lucky thing!!!!! :) U will have a ball! PM me if you have any questions. have been there a few times myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Jersey Gardens is much the same as Woodbury Common, but far closer. Only 20 mins from Port Authorithy bus station. $11 dollars return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

We're going a month from today! Not going to the outlets shopping though as only have 5 days and also have two guys with us so is mainly sightseeing. Thinking of looking in a few of the department stores and around Soho. Anyone got any recs for individual-type of stores there, maybe not high fashion but unusual stuff?

• Advertisement

oh you lucky thing!!!!! :) U will have a ball! PM me if you have any questions. have been there a few times myself

I will do thanks :D

:)Well my NY trip is now only 13 days away !! Can't believe it and it was 350 days away whwn we booked it in Jan (Air lingus counted it at the time !!) really looking forward to it and have found this thread very helpful..thanks a million :) MV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 cojones

So jealous of yiz all heading off to spend your hard earned cash. I found this NYC shopping guide really helpful when I went, knowing id just 2 days there so no time to head to Woodbury. Print it off and youre good to go!
    http://www.whatshewears.ie/index.php/2009/04/shopping-new-york/

12 more sleeps :D

xzanti wrote: »
    12 more sleeps :D
    Seven now ..woo hooo can't wait :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

and good flight and accom deals out there for one person going on their own? I'm trying to head out third week into December..
    Would this be too late do ye think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Personally I would rate Woodbury Common well above Jersey Gardens. It is a fair bus journey but there are usually some great bargains to be had there. You will have the usual outlet problems of finding sizes though if you're very "average" in shape and size.

Bear in mind that Woodbury is outdoors so at this time of the year you would be advised to wrap up well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Weather in New York was very mild last week, a friend of mine is just back said that they were going around in t-shirts. after packing all their woolies etc.

I am off to Boston in 11 more days...

Cannot Friggin wait..

I want to pack..

Wont be bringing much.

One passport, toothbrush and a spare pair of knickers.. and a few suitcases to fill to the brim!!!:D

A friend of mine who lives there told me today its been very mild.

I have a chest infection and am desperately swallowing my anti biotics so Im well enough for the 10th ooohhh cant wait. :D

Oh and this thread has been amazing, the information is brilliant, I printed up two copies and handed a huggge pile to my sis to read through, she has all the shops learned off and we are sorted!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement