Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FC:UK to drop the FCUK wordplay (finally!)

Options
  • 16-08-2004 1:09pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭

From today's Indo :
    Clothing firm drops 'offensive' logo

A FASHION label that inspired a generation of teenagers to wear the misspelt obscenity 'fcuk' across their chests is dropping the acronym for a more subtle campaign this season - no logo at all.

The iconic slogan for clothing chain French Connection UK, which captured the youth market, attracted the ire of parents, advertising watchdogs and judges and transformed the fortunes of the company, will be omitted in a new €5m (€7.5m) advertising campaign.

The move has come amid claims that the fcuk logo has become tired and over-used, with the company's share prices dropping by 8pc last month. Experts say the latest campaign is an attempt to invigorate the label.

The original fcuk campaign has courted controversy since it launched in 1997.

Last month, the company was ordered to have its posters vetted for the next two years after the industry watchdog, the Advertising Standards Authority, upheld a complaint about the "offensive" language on them.

The British Advertising Standards Authority received 27 complaints straight after the logo's launch while the American department stores, Macy's and Bloomingdales, briefly banned products with the slogan from their shelves.

Mr Justice Rattee called it a "tasteless and obnoxious" acronym in a court case in 1999, while another judge sent home a juror for wearing the logo in court.

Under the new campaign, which is launched next month, the fcuk logo will be replaced by a series of ironic, self-referential phrases such as 'Don't make us say it', 'Something beginning with F' and 'Haven't you had enough influences for one day?', with no other clues as to which brand they represent.

Publicist Mark Borkowski said the new promotion was a way to refresh the label in the face of competitors who were imitating the original campaign. "The fcuk campaign has been legendary and lots of people are mimicking the idea so they have to refresh it."

I can't say the prospect of seeing hilariously smart ironic phrases appeals much either but anything that gets away from the "want a fcuk" mentality is a good thing...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Time to bring out the "fcek" label...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I never liked it and never wore it. Only dullards do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

B'ah - the only thing worse than abandoning a logo - to not let it die and make references about it for the new few years. Give it ups guys...

...it was sh!te anyway.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

......The fcek logo :rolleyes: :D - lmao g1 gobby

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I seen a FCEK logo. T-Shirt was something like:

FCEK
    The Irish Connection

Similar to the

FCUK
    The French connection

ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Same tired fcuking joke. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Was some place on O'Connell street selling FCEK stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

damnyanks wrote:
    Was some place on O'Connell street selling FCEK stuff

About time it was dropped, it was annoying and stupid, only gimps wore it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Those tshirts got very annoying alright. Hard to believe they've been around since 1997 ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

More like I can't believe they've only been around since 1997 - feels like forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Saw a tshirt once, looked exactly like an FCUK one, same type colour and had one of their lines on it. But it actually said Fuck. Had to doubletake at it. Liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Imposter wrote:
    I seen a FCEK logo. T-Shirt was something like:

FCEK
    The Irish Connection

Similar to the

FCUK
    The French connection

ones.
    Yup. My bro has one. Laughed when I saw it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I never liked it and never wore it. Only dullards do.
    Agreed, about bloody time they get rid of it
    All we need to do know is collect all the one's currently available and burn them

Advertisement