Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flared Jeans, jay or nay?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

To be honest - I didn't like that post at all coz I've always worn flared jeans. I do wear skinnies now a bit too but flared ones suit me well. The only fashion faux pas you can commit is by wearing something that looks horrible on you (& that you're not comfortable in) just because someone has said it's the fashionable thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'm not a fan of skinnies or flared jeans. Or better I don't like flared jeans and skinny jeans doesn't suit me or about 2/3 of people wearing it. Skinny jeans will be probably on some similar list in 10 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I'm not a fan of flared jeans tbh, although I did wear my fair share of them in the 90s/early 2000s! I like that skinnys are so versatile and can be dressed up or down and worn with boots, flats, heels, trainers, whatever and still look good. Maybe you could try a more straight legged jean rather than super tight skinnys if you want to try something different.

I've read though that skinny jeans are on the way out and boyfriend jeans are the next thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Have you tried a bootcut jean? They might suit you also as they widen gradually towards the bottom but they're not as wide as the flares. Dont get too bogged down on fads or trends or what people say is hot or not. Wear what suits you and flatters your shape and you'll always look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

I love flares! :o I just love the vintage-y look of them and have worn them when they have been in and out of fashion and I don't care! I also wear straight leg and skinnies - different jeans for different styles of outfit. If you wear what suits you and the outfit is well put together you'll have no worries about fashion faux pas. I guess what I'm saying is there's fashion and there's style - I like to see someone with a lovely quirky personal sense of style, but they mightn't be following fashion trends at all. And to be totally pedantic about it flares and the 70s look is "in" for SS15 so maybe your just ahead of the trend :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

I'm another fan of flared jeans, I like how they sit over shoes. I like skinny jeans too but that doesn't mean I want to wear skinny jeans everyday. I certainly won't be ditching the flares over some made up list designed to fill bit of space on a mediocre blog. I've gone off that particular site recently, feel there's a few too many sponsored posts on it these days. Wear what you like, don't let a nonsense post like that make you feel uncomfortable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I LOVE flares. I've only ever worn flared jeans. I have quite an hourglass figure, so I think skinny jeans over-emphasise me around the middle. I even fold my flares over so I can wear them inside knee-high boots. But it was recently brought to my attention that they can make you look squat, and when I really pushed my fiancé for an honest answer, he said that he thought I looked better with a slim-legged jean (judging from jeans worn inside boots) and that the flares do make me look a little squat. So now I've been thrown into disarray :confused:. I love the way flares look, I love the way they fall over shoes, I love how long your legs look when you wear them with heels... But it seems I might be inadvertently wearing unflattering clothing. I've decided to buy a pair of skinny jeans for inside boots at least, but I doubt I'll ever stop wearing flared jeans.

But also, the idea of a 'fashion crime' is largely ridiculous, as everything just comes around again (except maybe sportswear - that really was a trend that's better forgotten). After the 80's, we all laughed at the idea of neon colours and leg warmers, and not even 20 years later, they were all the rage again. I was delighted when crop tops went out of fashion, but they're back with a vengeance. Fashion goes through cycles, but never really changes. Flares are definitely on their way back in, for example (hurrah!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I used to wear flares all the time, then I got into the skinny jeans brigade and my flares were gone. Now I wear my skinnies and "kick flare" which are like a baby flare so they cover shoes and balance out the upper leg without being too big or baggy. I think they actually elongate the look of the leg.

I recently got a pair on asos by Esprit and think they look great.

image1xxl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

OP, don't worry, skinny jeans may be prevalent but they're not the only style out there. :) If they don't suit you, you're right not to wear them to just fit in. I never wear things that don't suit me. If something suits you and you wear it with confidence, you'll look good in it, and stylish.

Personally, the only common leg cut I don't really like is bootcut - snoozefest! I'd even prefer mom jeans or harem pants over them because when a woman can pull them off, they look quirky and great!

But then other women will love bootcut. So really, it's just down to the individual and what they like and what suits them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Faith wrote: »
    I LOVE flares. I've only ever worn flared jeans. I have quite an hourglass figure, so I think skinny jeans over-emphasise me around the middle.

Surely if you're wasp-waisted as per the hourglass figure, highlighting that is a desirable effect?

I've gotten some gentle but firm criticism of my clothing choices from friends and family before, and some of it has been really helpful though tough to hear at the time. I think I sometimes had a different image in my head of how things looked on me than how they actually looked in reality. I think I'm a bit better now at honestly evaluating what suits me and what doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Surely if you're wasp-waisted as per the hourglass figure, highlighting that is a desirable effect?

Perhaps in theory, but I'm extremely conscious about my middle so I like it to remain hidden :). I have a small waist but I also carry any weight around my middle (a 'spare tire') so I'd prefer to hide the weight than emphasise my waist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

Im similar faith as well as that I have really skinny ankles and big hips, so I just think skinny jeans look ridiculous on me. I have been going for just straight leg jeans lately and feel much better in them. I like the look of those kick flares posted above also. Can't abide my old flares anymore either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I just have stumpy short legs and skinny jeans is just about the worst option. Slim fit straight leg is by far the best shape for me. Flares would be another option but I don't like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

It's virtually impossible to find flared jeans for men these days. Gah!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I like flared jeans. Actually bought what looked to be flared jeans on a site so I went down a size on the waist due to them stretching and what arrived
    ~ yeah okay flared at the end, though not as wide as thought hoped
    ~ skinny from the waist down
    ~ waist still sits perfect, eventhough down a size to what I'd normally buy.

So what's normally similar to boyfriend style from the waist down, arrived skinny with a lickle flare at the end :pac:

Just the strangest pair of Tommy Hilfiger jeans I'd received from them tbh.
    If flared jeans suit you, and you find a pair that you like, then just buy them. You'll be more comfortable wearing them than a pair you're not confident in.

That's just my opinion ,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Just me or does anyone else think this is typical of beaut.ie. I dislike the tone of the majority of their posts... So try hard. Anywho go with what makes you feel good!! I love flares with a nice pair of peep toe wedges and a shirt tucked in such a pretty look :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Some of the flares I wore in the late 90s-early 2000s should be done for fashion crimes against humanity! I loved all the Nope, Hobo, Susst stuff when I was a teenager, and even had a pair of black velvet flares when I was around 12!

I find the shape quite flattering on me, particularly when I wear heels. I do also like the way skinny jeans look on me, but find them a difficult fit a lot of the time because of my body shape - I have relatively muscular legs, but don't always have enough arse to fill out the size I need to go over my calves. At least with a bootcut or flared shape I can just get the ones that fit me on the waist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Some of the flares I wore in the late 90s-early 2000s should be done for fashion crimes against humanity! I loved all the Nope, Hobo, Susst stuff when I was a teenager, and even had a pair of black velvet flares when I was around 12!

Me too. I even had a really loud, blue checked pair of Susst ones that I LIVED in.

Nowadays, I prefer a dark-wash, slim-fit, boot-cut jean as an "all rounder". Skinnies definitely aren't for everyone.

I do love 70s-style flared jeans over chunky wedges in the summer, but I think they can look a bit ridiculous in the winter as you see people wearing them with the wrong footwear and they get all wet and grotty around the bottoms.

Advertisement