Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mens suits

Options
  • 26-02-2014 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

can anyone recommend some high end suits that wear well and what to avaiod as well, for example previously heard that BOSS looked great for about a week and then lost their shape....the suits should be capable of standing up to a bit of travelling......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Do you specifically want suits for travelling or what exactly are your requirements? The shape of a suit is down to its construction methods [fused or canvassed], the type of cloth and weight and of course how you take care of it. Frequent dry-cleaning can wreck a suit and cause the interlining to delaminate and 'bubble' this is an issue with fused suits only.

In general if you want a suit to look well, get it made-to-measure or bespoke if you fancy it and in a cloth type and weight that will stand up to wear. In wool a heavy cloth will keep its shape and hang better so 400g+[14oz], a mohair/wool mix will be more breathable and keep its shape well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

jrby wrote: »
    can anyone recommend some high end suits that wear well and what to avaiod as well, for example previously heard that BOSS looked great for about a week and then lost their shape....the suits should be capable of standing up to a bit of travelling......
    Not sure where you hear that about Boss suits but it ain't true. Head to Louie Copeland if you really want to go all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jrby

we're smart casual in work, but I head to the likes of US, spain, brazil and italy on occasion, so need a reasonably light suit but also one that I can wear to our board meetings etc.....

i presume the cheaper suits ar fused with the more expensive ones being canvassed. what are some good brands to look out for or am i just better popping into capel street to talk to Louis Copeland, rather than Boss or House of Fraser....

Dont particulary want to get a bespoke suit at the moment, I'm travelling a bit and at fairly short notice so would miss more appointments to get fitted that i would make.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Avoid Boss. I had a Boss suit (bought in Louis Copeland) and it was terrible.

Why not just go to Marks and Spencers? You can get decent, well made suits there for a fraction of the price you'd pay for Louis Copeland, and if you're not wearing it all the time, it'll last you. Check out the Collezione range or if you are looking for more tailored, the Autograph range.

I also got a fantastic suit in TM Lewin recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

I've been on the hunt for a good 3 piece in Dublin, my budget is €400. Some might argue that the budget is a bit on the low side for a 'good' suit but I would be happy enough with a half canvas construction for that price.
    I also got a fantastic suit in TM Lewin recently.

I'm keen on the Banks slim fit @ TM Lewin in terms of colour and style, tried it on yesterday and I liked the fit and construction. I had a look at M&S for comparison and one or two of their suits appear good value - but don't have really the edge.

Any sartorial types out there care to recommend alternative brands or suppliers in Dublin given the budget?

• Advertisement

I've been on the hunt for a good 3 piece in Dublin, my budget is €400. Some might argue that the budget is a bit on the low side for a 'good' suit but I would be happy enough with a half canvas construction for that price.

You won't get a half-canvassed suit for €400 I'm afraid. Close to that price I know that the Magee personal tailoring starts at €550 with a choice of cloths and styling. This is made to measure, not bespoke.

I've heard good things about Lynch Menswear on 62 Lr. Camden St. and they also do a mix and match ready-to-wear where you can get trousers in a different size to the jacket. They also do the Magee m2m and he does his own handfinished m2m. Again those are all fused.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

I'd recommend Louis Feraud over any other suit shop in Dublin. Tried all the usuals and Louis Copeland but none came close to the one I got in Feraud(off Grafton Street)

Was on sale, got it for €350 and have had a lot of people comment on how well it looks, definitely worth a look.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Over the years I've found Baumler to be the best enduring work wear for me. I'm not sure where to get them in Dublin though. In the meantime, as already said above it is very hard to match the quality and value of M&S business suits and coats, and their mid range shirts are excellent too.

ladhrann wrote: »
    You won't get a half-canvassed suit for €400 I'm afraid

I ended up parting with €450 for this half canvas 2 piece @ TM Lewin, its a great fit off the peg, the jacket needs no alteration which I'm happy about.

@sully2010 I must check out Feraud, they're beside Lewins

@roadsmart I bought a Baumler from Best Menswer a couple of years ago, excellent quality for the price, they may still stock them. Theres also a Baumler outlet on Dawson Street. I tried on a couple of M&S suits and they didn't really do it for me but their Sartorial range is pretty good and I'll be giving them a second look at some point.

TM Lewin beats M&S hands down for fit and quality, that's what I found anyway. I got it for a really great price, was originally something crazy like €900 but I got it for 230. Can't remember the name of the fit, it was a navy suit with a light blue wide pinstripe.

• Advertisement

TM Lewin beats M&S hands down for fit and quality, that's what I found anyway. I got it for a really great price, was originally something crazy like €900 but I got it for 230.

Beware the sales patter from TM Lewin, their stuff is never sold at the regular marked price.

I ended up parting with €450 for this half canvas 2 piece @ TM Lewin, its a great fit off the peg, the jacket needs no alteration which I'm happy about.

We're not comparing like with like in this case. If you're happy with the fit I suggest buying from the UK site and getting it sent to a parcelmotel addree, a saving of E80-E90.

I'm not knocking Lewin btw, they make decent clobber, I've worn their shirts for years.

We're not comparing like with like in this case. If you're happy with the fit I suggest buying from the UK site and getting it sent to a parcelmotel addree, a saving of E80-E90.

They didn't have my size online and couldn't provide lead times for stock replenishment so I went the high street route for the privilege of getting the suit sooner. Your quoted savings are a bit off there -it was €25 extra to buy in store vs online.

Beware the sales patter from TM Lewin, their stuff is never sold at the regular marked price.

Yeah I know. Even the sales guy was laughing when it came up as the price. I doubt it was ever sold for that price.

I found the jacket didn't need altering.

Their shirts are OK - I have a few but I found the regular fit to be too baggy and the range of slim fit reasonably small. Plus their collars were a bit too narrow for me; having said that I did order two very nice fully cutaway collar shirts from the website (delivered free to Dublin store) - but they seem very rare.

I recently bought a suit in the Suitable Company - closing down sale. I had it taken in but I fear they took in the jacket too much as the lapels are bowing slightly. Can anyone recommend a good alterations place, who have experience working on suits in particular?

I recently bought a suit in the Suitable Company - closing down sale.

Those lads are in a perpetual state of closing down :rolleyes:

Can anyone recommend a good alterations place, who have experience working on suits in particular?

The Alterations Centre on South Anne Street (above Le Cave restaurant) always come highly recommended, I dropped 2 suits into them today as a first time customer, I was well treated.

On a side note, I visited Feraud on Duke Street while I was in the area, I was quizzing the sales guy about the construction of their suits (half canvas vs fused), he stated that all of their suits were fused which kinda put me off, maybe he was ill-informed...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

+1 on the M&S suits, used them as a last resort and they're really decent, they offer the travel types too with relaxed waists if you're having to sit on planes/trains a lot. I really dislike their shirts though, sleeve lengths are all over the place.

Yeah I never liked the M&S shirts either, and they are pricey for what they are (over 50 euro).

Then again, getting a decent shirt in Dublin is hard! Even the standard of the likes of Thomas Pink has gone down over the years (I used to wear them about 10 - 12 years ago, and the shirts they make now are nowhere near as good). TM Lewin is OK but their styles aren't great and the regular fit shirt fits like a bag. Plus their collars are too narrow for my particular tastes!

I got two Arrow shirts the other week and they were decent enough. But I dream of a shop where there are shelves and shelves of 17/43 shirts with wide spread collars for a reasonable price!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The Jasper Conran tailored fit in Debenhams, they're really good.
    I wear their Osbornes for work, nice high collars.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Has anyone bought from Henry Jermyn on Clare St in Dublin? What are they like?

Has anyone bought from Henry Jermyn on Clare St in Dublin? What are they like?

Not a suit, only shirts.

They didn't have my size online and couldn't provide lead times for stock replenishment so I went the high street route for the privilege of getting the suit sooner. Your quoted savings are a bit off there -it was €25 extra to buy in store vs online.

Beg pardon I thought it was £350 vs E450.
    Their shirts are OK - I have a few but I found the regular fit to be too baggy and the range of slim fit reasonably small. Plus their collars were a bit too narrow for me; having said that I did order two very nice fully cutaway collar shirts from the website (delivered free to Dublin store) - but they seem very rare.

I recently bought a suit in the Suitable Company - closing down sale. I had it taken in but I fear they took in the jacket too much as the lapels are bowing slightly. Can anyone recommend a good alterations place, who have experience working on suits in particular?

Well I'm the opposite, as I found they had way too many spread-collar shirts. By quality I meant that if you get the ''Luxury range'' shirts which are included anyway in their offers, they are decent. On a wash and wear basis they are a solid workhorse of a shirt and are very consistent. I've never had a button come off or a stitch come undone as the cloth has worn out before that has happened.

For alterations Des Byrne on Grafton street has a decent rep afaik.

On a side note, I visited Feraud on Duke Street while I was in the area, I was quizzing the sales guy about the construction of their suits (half canvas vs fused), he stated that all of their suits were fused which kinda put me off, maybe he was ill-informed...

To be honest you were lucky you found a sales guy who knew what fusing was in the first place as 99% of people don't know anything about how clothing is made. Price wise for E249 I don't know how you could have a half-canvassed suit in 100% wool made in even the grimmest sweatshop on earth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Price wise for E249 I don't know how you could have a half-canvassed suit in 100% wool made in even the grimmest sweatshop on earth.

Don't mean to bump, but I figured I'd reply since it's come up before in threads re. prices. Anyway, recently bought a half canvassed Hackett Suit, wool and Mohair, in TM Lewin for €260. Seems OK to me, though I could be missing something.

Advertisement