Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey suit for wedding, What shirt and tie combo??

Options
  • 17-06-2011 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Ok folks I'm doing best man/witness for my dads upcoming wedding in july and have just purchased a new grey suit for the occasion.
    Now while I have the suit sorted my dilema is what colour shirt/tie combo to wear.
    There is no dress code for the occasion so I can wear anything.
    My better half will be wearing a kind of red polka-dot dress for it but no way am I getting a red polka-dot shirt to match ha ha.

So what are your opinions folks, what should I go for?
    Answers on a postcard please
    Steve

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

I make wedding cake toppers and have been making a lot with grooms with grey suits on this year, mostly wearing a cream or very light gold colour waistcoat and tie, made one or two with light grey to silver too.. seems to be the trend.. mostly coupled with either a very light blue shirt or crisp white. I know your not the groom but hopefully u have checked with your dad's bride (not your dad cos he will say no! lol) to see if they have any kinda theme or colour scheme...xx

I'm no fashion guru, just what I see in wedding trends! x

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭lace

A nice white shirt and a black tie are always good for a grey suit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

A white shirt is safe but you can go with some pastel shades. Don't wear a black tie it's not a funeral.
    Alot depends on the shade of grey of your suit and obviously shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

White shirt with a grey suit is the only answer, you can be flexible with your tie then and match the colour to something if you wish.

Don't wear a black neck tie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I'd go with a baby blue shirt, maybe patterened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

White shirt, yellow tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Grey is a neutral colour so you are free to wear (almost) anything. Depending your your own complexion/colouring your should think white, pink, light/powder blue, lavender - anything pastel really. Grey suit, white shirt and a pink tie is a brilliant combination. Pick a plain material for the shirt and then complement your missus by wearing a red tie and or pocket square. (Avoid the pink shirt if you go with the red tie!). Grey can be a bit draining so liven it up with that splash of colour. Remember it's a celibration not a job interview.
    Slate_Grey_Lounge_Suit_large.jpg

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I agree with OG and the others, definitely go with a bit of colour! If not in the shirt then certainly in the tie.

I see where the poster was coming from with the white shirt, black tie combination.

However, it's a wedding and a chance to be a bit more adventurous. Particularly from a male perspective, where a grey/navy suit, black shoes, white shirt and dull tie are the order of the day for office wear, it's nice to try different options.

If it's a charcoal grey, i like a light blue shirt. You can go with a contrasting colour for the tie to brighten it up. I often use this with a burnt orange/rust patterned tie (which I've posted here somewhere).

Don't be afraid to wear a pocket square too. I wore one for my first adult wedding last year and it went down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Thanks for all the replies folks. Im going to have a look around soon enough and I reckon I might go for a white shirt with strong red tie and be adventurous with a pocket square to match.

Push the boat out, make it a self tie bowtie and learn how to knot it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

OldGoat wrote: »
    Push the boat out, make it a self tie bowtie and learn how to knot it. :)

Don't think I'm quite that adventurous

• Registered Users Posts: 32 randofmact

Definitely go with the white shirt, red tie, have worn this combination myself before. Better to wear tan brown shoes and belt with this option though.. maybe get a double cuff shirt and wear nice silver cuff links and a silver tie pin too..

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭bget

I think a white shirt is such a safe option id do with a really nice turquoise shirt, its bright and summery and goes fab with grey, particularly light grey..

http://www.hm.com/gb/product/83627?article=83627-A#article=83627-C

Something on the line of this h&m shirt (colour wise) would be my reccomendation.. Coincidentally this particular shirt also comes in a shade of purple that would also be fab.. website doesnt do it justice, ive seen it in person.. only down side however is that the shirt is quite light..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Great shirt tie combo that would go well with a light grey suit: http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/men%27s-shirts/men%27s-formal-shirts/Needham-pale-pink-summer-twill-slim-fit-shirt?q=gbpdefault||FS003PNK|||||221,||17,|37,|||||&ppp=133

Another great tie along with white shirt (you can pick fitted ones up for 20 odd pound on that site - they're all v.good quality) that would go well with a charcoal suit: http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/men%27s-shirts/men%27s-formal-shirts/White-twill-Sea-Island-quality-slim-fit-shirt?q=gbpdefault||FQ031WHT|||||221,||17,|37,|||||&ppp=133

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Personally i like a black shirt with or without a sliver tie, i think it looks quite smart.

tan11ie wrote: »
    Personally i like a black shirt with or without a sliver tie, i think it looks quite smart.
    Wouldn't be my choice for a wedding tbh. A club night out perhaps but not a wedding.
    You want to be able to look at the photos of the day 20 years down the line without cringing at the fashions of the time. I look back at photos of friends weddings and I'm seeing kipper ties and flares. (Shudder). The men who look good are the ones who have avoided the fashions of the day and gone with classic suits.
    Go with something ageless and classic instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Wouldn't be my choice for a wedding tbh. A club night out perhaps but not a wedding.
    You want to be able to look at the photos of the day 20 years down the line without cringing at the fashions of the time. I look back at photos of friends weddings and I'm seeing kipper ties and flares. (Shudder). The men who look good are the ones who have avoided the fashions of the day and gone with classic suits.
    Go with something ageless and classic instead.

Totally disagree, seen it worn at a recent wedding and have to say it's was the nicest look i've seen guys wearing at a wedding in years!! as for a "club night out" imo that would be odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭cookie82

Great shirt tie combo that would go well with a light grey suit: http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/men%27s-shirts/men%27s-formal-shirts/Needham-pale-pink-summer-twill-slim-fit-shirt?q=gbpdefault||FS003PNK|||||221,||17,|37,|||||&ppp=133

Another great tie along with white shirt (you can pick fitted ones up for 20 odd pound on that site - they're all v.good quality) that would go well with a charcoal suit: http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/men%27s-shirts/men%27s-formal-shirts/White-twill-Sea-Island-quality-slim-fit-shirt?q=gbpdefault||FQ031WHT|||||221,||17,|37,|||||&ppp=133

this would be my choice too absolutely love lilac with grey looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

tan11ie wrote: »
    Totally disagree, seen it worn at a recent wedding and have to say it's was the nicest look i've seen guys wearing at a wedding in years!! as for a "club night out" imo that would be odd.

I'd agree with OldGoat. If it's a charcoal grey suit a black shirt with silver tie is not a good match for a wedding. It would be way too dark for my own liking, whilst maybe being fashionable right now I don't think it's stylish.

I still think white/pastel coloured shirt along with a bold colourful tie is the best option.

The second link I posted further up I like the tie so much I'm going to get it (although it will have to drop in price a bit!)

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dingbat

You want to be able to look at the photos of the day 20 years down the line without cringing at the fashions of the time.
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thefa

I've read through the comments so far but was wondering would there be any specific recommendations for this suit?
    http://www.marksandspencer.com/Super-Limited-Collection-Button-Jacket/dp/B008G7P33I?rrClickthru=PDP
    I have a darker complexion than the model and am not a fan of the black shirt.

Advertisement