Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how you seen the state of the new dail

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    your wishlist of top 10 "libertarian" policies
    I'm amazed that after countless discussions and arguments on the nature of libertarianism, you still don't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Ìf it ever was, this is no longer Politics. Looking for a new home - first stop Fashion & Appearance - other mods feel free to move along.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Excuse me, I thought this was a politics forum thread ?
    After all it is a thread about the attire and behaviour of members of our parliament ?
    Is the operation and behaviour of members of our parliament now meant to be discussed in fashion forums ?
    In this thread some posters have quiet eloquently discussed whether or not the behaviour of some of the new members of the Dail shows enough respect to the office.

The thread may not be lofty enough for some people, but damn well might matter to some of us and be seen as something that merits discussion. :mad:

Where will the next thread be moved to, perhaps the threads about Jimmy Denihan can be moved to the GAA forum or threads involving Enda Kenny can be moved to the Mayo forum ?

And I am adding this as a post and not just a PM, since I think this is something that most posters on this thread, who happen to be regular politics forum posters, might want to discuss.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I wouldn't care if they wore tutus and tiaras as long as they are honest and trustworthy and do what is best for the people instead of what europe wants.

Lenihan, cowen and the likes always wore a suit and they have fcuked us over good and proper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

It seems that while trying to prove your point, you have in fact proved mine. Thanks for clearing that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Now the thread will have to be moved to the Conspiracy Theories forum. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

jmayo wrote: »
    Excuse me, I thought this was a politics forum thread ?
    After all it is a thread about the attire and behaviour of members of our parliament ?
    Is the operation and behaviour of members of our parliament now meant to be discussed in fashion forums ?
    In this thread some posters have quiet eloquently discussed whether or not the behaviour of some of the new members of the Dail shows enough respect to the office.

The thread may not be lofty enough for some people, but damn well might matter to some of us and be seen as something that merits discussion. :mad:

Where will the next thread be moved to, perhaps the threads about Jimmy Denihan can be moved to the GAA forum or threads involving Enda Kenny can be moved to the Mayo forum ?

And I am adding this as a post and not just a PM, since I think this is something that most posters on this thread, who happen to be regular politics forum posters, might want to discuss.

A thread about Mary Harney's weight wouldn't be politics either. Nobody has been prevented from discussing this, and I accept there's a relationship to politics, but frankly a lot of this thread is just a bitchfest. Were that not the case, it could stay in the Politics forum - as it is, if it did, it would be closed.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

This thread is a dead end. Permabear and a couple of other posters believe Dáil members should wear suits - everyone else doesn't. Nobody's mind will be changed and nobody will be enlightened.

And on that merry note, I'll be off, but before I go, here's a picture of a dog in a hat.

dog-wearing-hat-5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

dog-wearing-hat-5.jpg
    such grossly inappropriate attire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

That's exactly why I previously stated that while in the Dail he should be allowed wear an unbuttoned pink shirt, but if he had to meet foreign officials then a suit would be appropriate. There's a difference between being a mature adult and being a conservative adult who dismisses anything out of the ordinary as wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,160 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

you may have a case if he (Wallace) presented himself to the electorate in a suit, and then changed his attire upon election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

After all this talk of attire, are there any foreign news stories regarding our poorly attired independents?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blacksmith105

Wow.. didnt think i would get that much reaction

What I am trying to say is that having a smart appearance goes a long way in reassuring people that you are serious about what you are trying to undertake
    otherwise why would people wear a suit going for an interview .. answer because they want to make a good impression of themselves in the eye of an employer.
    I sure that Mick Wallace has good intentions for the people of wexford but the impression he is creating is one of.. I dont care , Ming flanaghan is wearing the same shirt in his election posters as he was wearing in the first sitting of the dail .. I mean all it would take is a quick trip to penneys or dunnes for a cheap shirt and tie set if he is strapped for cash .
    Yeah people voted for change but it also means change your shirt .
    People have mentioned Mick Oleary Ryanair but when seen in public he has a smart casual look but at least is clean shaven and does not look like an extra from braveheart

A thread about Mary Harney's weight wouldn't be politics either. Nobody has been prevented from discussing this, and I accept there's a relationship to politics, but frankly a lot of this thread is just a bitchfest. Were that not the case, it could stay in the Politics forum - as it is, if it did, it would be closed.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

mary who ? :D

Look it is just not one politican, but at least three that were originally being discussed and it wasn't just a personal matter such as ones health, hobbies or indeed what they wore to just some occassion they attended.
    The ocassion was their first day as sitting parliamentarians in our parliament.

It involves some of our politicans, it involves our lower house of parliament, it involves discussion of possible rules of that parliament and it involves how the parliament is perceived by the outside world.
    Now forgive me for thinking that is worthy as a politics discussion.

So IMHO your comparison doesn't really stack up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

cordially,
    Scofflaw

If the question was how Mary Harney's weight effected her ability to carry out her portfolio as a govt. minister - then I think it would belong in politics and not weight watchers

If the question was how Mary Harney's weight effected her ability to carry out her portfolio as a govt. minister - then I think it would belong in politics and not weight watchers
    That would imply that this thread was saying that the TDs not wearing suits is affecting their ability to carry out their duties. But its not saying that, its just a rant about people not wearing suits where they're 'supposed' to be wearing suits.
    A bit like as if someone started a thread in the dance music production forum giving out that someone had a shirt and tie on in the club. Pointless and irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Had the thread gone that way, then it would have stayed in Politics. As it is, it's rather more a discussion of whether posters like or dislike suits, and what that says about them.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

What a disgrace that this thread was moved out of politics to spare the blushes of a mod who made a fool of himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

CiaranC wrote: »
    What a disgrace that this thread was moved out of politics to spare the blushes of a mod who made a fool of himself

CiaranC - if you have a problem with a moderator decision, then please take it up with the moderator in question, or raise it in the Feedback forum. Please do not contribute to the noise in the thread.

dudara

• Advertisement

Dont worry Id say anyone that does post in the politics forum had seen enough to get the jist!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@zig Please take note of my previous comment about noise in the thread

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

I was hugely surprised to see the blatant lack of interest they took in their appearance, Perhaps they were making a point? As they are representing the public if they expect to be taken serious they hardly want attention drawn to their appearance. Bad form IMO.

Sibylla wrote: »
    I was hugely surprised to see the blatant lack of interest they took in their appearance, Perhaps they were making a point? As they are representing the public if they expect to be taken serious they hardly want attention drawn to their appearance. Bad form IMO.

But you could argue that their appearance is their means of trying to be taken seriously. I.e. They want to be taken seriously in their want for change, they want to be taken seriously in that the least important issue to be addressed is how someone should look in the dail, they want to be taken seriously in that substance is now the key factor, and that they are not there to just end up like the rest of them, that they are there as something fresh and new , someone that stands up to the gombeen system and that they refuse to conform to the 'ways of the dail' by camouflaging themselves in with the rest of the suits and just ending up like one of them.

Why does a suit have to represent their seriousness. I would say they made a conscious decision not to wear a suit for those very reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭sallysaucer101

As someone who voted No1 for Mick Wallace I knew he would never wear a suit. I would actually be dissappointed if he did.

I like his look and as the Fashion and Apperance forum shoud we not recpect everyones style. Who is to say what he is wearing is right or wrong? It doesn't change the person he is or what he may or may not do for this country!

Also have heard tell the main reason he wears pink is for breast cancer awareness!

Hey Permabear are libertarians allowed wear Ugg boots?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Now that this thread has been moved to the Fashion & Appearance forum let me say this.

The fashion preferences of a TD don't really bother me that much. Pink shirts or blue shirts, I don't mind. Each to their own.

But the appearance of a TD making a speech in the Dáil with his hands in his pockets drives me mad. :mad:

Going to the effort of looking dapper and professional in your finest suit is all a waste of time and expense by that one single gesture of negative body language.

Lapin wrote: »
    Going to the effort of looking dapper and professional in your finest suit is all a waste of time and expense by that one single gesture of negative body language.
    Can someone move this to the body language forum its gone OT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

A lot of the criticism in this thread seems to be focused on Mick Wallace. The fact is he made it clear that he wouldn't be wearing suits if he was elected to the Dail and he still came first in County Wexford. If the people he would be representing were embarrassed by the prospect of a long haired man wearing a pink shirt in the Dail he wouldn't have got his seat on the first count.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

This thread is being monitored for the time being. Please keep on topic. The thread is now in F&A. Any more disruptions and it'll be locked.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Twee. wrote: »
    This thread is being monitored for the time being. Please keep on topic. The thread is now in F&A. Any more disruptions and it'll be locked.

Enjoy Twee.

Just don't start talking about what the TD's are listening to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Actually, I've just noticed the thread title for the first time, and I'm wondering whether the OP would object as much if the new TDs weren't capable - or couldn't be arsed - using the right words to create a meaningful sentence or question ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I like his look and as the Fashion and Apperance forum shoud we not recpect everyones style. Who is to say what he is wearing is right or wrong? It doesn't change the person he is or what he may or may not do for this country!

It wasn't posted in this forum originally which should explain the judgemental attitudes.
    Also have heard tell the main reason he wears pink is for breast cancer awareness!

I thought the pink was to promote his football team!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I had a bit of a smile when I saw Mick Wallace, I mean how many guys have the balls to wear a pink shirt and an earring? Show's he's not some wallflower who's going to go along with the norm.

Also really don't see a problem with Ming's attire. He's wearing a nice shirt and looks quite respectable to me. So what if he's not wearing a tie, they're ugly and outdated imo.

I had a much bigger issue with what the female TDs were wearing, most of it looked straight from Savida. Could a few of them not make an effort to not look like boring old housewives?

Twee. wrote: »

In fairness this thread began life in the politics forum.

Thats where we political anoraks came across it.

We never asked to be deported over here.

After all, what the hell would we know about fashion? :)

Anyway, back on topic. Did anyone see the get up of Mary Loy McDonald yesterday?

Christ on a bike. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bowsie

They look like real people.

Well said.

Is there a record for how many times a thread has been moved ?
    Just need something to aim for. :D
    In fairness this thread began life in the politics forum.

Thats where we political anoraks came across it.

We never asked to be deported over here.

After all, what the hell would we know about fashion? :)

Anyway, back on topic. Did anyone see the get up of Mary Loy McDonald yesterday?

Christ on a bike. :eek:

Very true.
    I would never have been in this forum before and I bet a few more of the seasoned Politics heads would say likewise.
    Hell we might stay and set up a new movement. :D

Maybe he buys in bulk.
    I know I often buy two of things if I like them.
    Otherwise they might stop making them like those Kangaroo basketball boots. or the flecked black pants that go with those slip on shoes you wear with no socks :eek:

Remember how Dave Attenborough always wear blue shirts and chinos.
    (Ok someone of the regulars around here can correct me on what they really are)
    He reckons it makes continuity much easier when filming.

I don't either, but this forced move by Scofflaw might have opened a whole new world for us. :D
    Must check if he is watching us. :eek:

Yeah give me some of those Italian politicans anyday.
    Please note I mean female ones.
    Better be careful now dishing our female politicans. :o

• Advertisement

Can someone move this to the body language forum its gone OT

Whoa, hang on. Not so hasty ! Read on son, read on.
    jmayo wrote: »
    I would never have been in this forum before and I bet a few more of the seasoned Politics heads would say likewise.

I was thinking the same thing myself. So now that we're here I decided to have a wander around our new home and do some exploring.

And you know what ? Its not too bad here at all.

The people here seem to have a touch of class about them. :)

There's no talk of Ould Spice aftershave or Dunnes Stores anoraks round here.
    God no. It's all Parfum de Paris and leather goods from Florence (whoever she is) :confused:

And here's the best bit. They're all loaded here ! They do their shopping in places like New York and Orlando :eek:. No such thing as nipping up to Penneys in Henry St to buy a pair of socks.

I think we should keep in with this lot.

Maybe we could form a coalition :D:D

Anyway back on topic. Did anyone see what Joan Burton was wearing yesterday?

No ?

Neither did anyone else. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Is the issue the shirt, or the same shirt ? I'm confused.

And would it still be an issue if he was like this guy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Whoa, hang on. Not so hasty ! Read on son, read on.

I was thinking the same thing myself. So now that we're here I decided to have a wander around our new home and do some exploring.

And you know what ? Its not too bad here at all.

The people here seem to have a touch of class about them. :)

There's no talk of Ould Spice aftershave or Dunnes Stores anoraks round here.
    God no. It's all Parfum de Paris and leather goods from Florence (whoever she is) :confused:

And here's the best bit. They're all loaded here ! They do their shopping in places like New York and Orlando :eek:. No such thing as nipping up to Penneys in Henry St to buy a pair of socks.

I think we should keep in with this lot.

Maybe we could form a coalition :D:D

Anyway back on topic. Did anyone see what Joan Burton was wearing yesterday?

No ?

Neither did anyone else. :pac:

I hate this place. I know they can smell the cowsh1te off me , I can even smell it myself now. No ones said anything to me - but I know they are thinking it. Its all the perfume.
    I want to go home, to AH, to the vague scent of urine and stale beer.

Advertisement