Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men's shoe style

Options
  • 21-09-2010 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what this style of shoe is called?

144904_980.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

It's a brogue.

A slightly unusual one admittedly.

OT - men in shoes with no socks just look smelly. That's probably because so many Irish men seem to only own one pair of shoes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

lainey316 wrote: »
    It's a brogue.

A slightly unusual one admittedly.

OT - men in shoes with no socks just look smelly. That's probably because so many Irish men seem to only own one pair of shoes...

My apologies, I knew it was a brogue, but thought its rounder style might have necessitated a "sub-style" as it were. Thanks though.

I agree on the smelly look, but at the same time, sockless in shoes is probably a little more hygienic than sockless in runners. I did find a way to make the whole experience a little easier, but can't find it anymore.

Crikey - there's a whole gallery of styles http://www.brogueshoes.co.uk/Shoe-Styles.html

Makes womens' shoes look simple!

The shoes in the photo remind me strongly of Doc Martens by the way in shape.

Crikey - there's a whole gallery of styles http://www.brogueshoes.co.uk/Shoe-Styles.html

Makes womens' shoes look simple!

The shoes in the photo remind me strongly of Doc Martens by the way in shape.

I get confused easily because Americans seem to call them wingtips.

Yes, the Doc Marten shape is what attracted me to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The rounder fit is an older fashion then the current narrow fit trend. Gotta love brogues.

I admit to doing the sockless thing but only with loafers during the summer. Oh and sandals of course. :rolleyes:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Not sure about white brogues for this time of year myself.

no one has yet mentioned them trousers:confused:

Yeah the trousers, he went for two inch turn-ups when inch and a half would have done. :)

OldGoat wrote: »
    Yeah the trousers, he went for two inch turn-ups when inch and a half would have done. :)

Ah, should have given full pic as well. The man in question is Nick Wooster of occasional Sartorialist fame. Sometimes he gets it right sometimes he just freaks me out.

144903_565.jpg?w=565&h=848

Here's the jacket for the the trousers

nick%2Bwooster%2B1.jpg

It'd be a bit much as a suit... what are the chances he had the shoes custom made?

I do love the men on the Sartorialist. Men with style in Ireland are few and far between - it's all casual muck, "it cost a fortune so that's all that counts" or indie kid try-too-hard copycats. Anyway, wandering OT...

• Advertisement

It'd be a bit much as a suit... what are the chances he had the shoes custom made?

I do love the men on the Sartorialist. Men with style in Ireland are few and far between - it's all casual muck, "it cost a fortune so that's all that counts" or indie kid try-too-hard copycats. Anyway, wandering OT...

I always think of this Paul Smith quote though when it comes to men's style:

"Well, the Italians do dress well. But they also dress identically. They all look stylish but they all look the same. I’d rather have the British eccentricity and humour any day."

I’d rather have the British eccentricity and humour any day."
    Oh I agree with Smith there except that everyone seems to have the same sense of humour and is repeating the same joke. :(
    Eccentricty (in mens fashions) is rare outside London and nonexistant over here. We have a culture of "Irelands too Small to allow for anything different". We only run with the pack (of highstreet dictated looks).

I like the suit and white shoe ensamble. It's not for me, not my style, but I'd stand and applaud any man I saw wearing that on Grafton Street.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Oh I agree with Smith there except that everyone seems to have the same sense of humour and is repeating the same joke. :(
    Eccentricty (in mens fashions) is rare outside London and nonexistant over here. We have a culture of "Irelands too Small to allow for anything different". We only run with the pack (of highstreet dictated looks).

I like the suit and white shoe ensamble. It's not for me, not my style, but I'd stand and applaud any man I saw wearing that on Grafton Street.

I'd go with simple, bright grey though. I don't think there's anything outlandish about it bar that tbh.

It's a cliche but "You have to know the rules to break the rules". There isn't really a culture of "identity via clothing" here I think, which I can respect to a point. I definitely respect it more than RLP, A&F and a multitude of other brands being worn simply to create some kind of fiscal-related "identity".

As I've said in other threads, it's a bit rich of me to make points like that when until recently my wardrobe consisted of jeans that were too long, torn and a collection of shirts that were too long and a large amount of offensive t-shirts. (I did have my Paul Smith glasses though.)

So anyone got any suggestions about where I could buy similar brogues or should I just stick the the Dr Martens Oxfords for convenience?

I always think of this Paul Smith quote though when it comes to men's style:

"Well, the Italians do dress well. But they also dress identically. They all look stylish but they all look the same. I’d rather have the British eccentricity and humour any day."

With the Italians, and the Spanish and Portuguese and presumably the French, etc etc at least their clothes fit - they may be bland as a group, but the clothes fit properly, they're acquainted with an iron and a clothes brush, the shoes are generally clean if not polished...

OP best of luck trying to track something similar down (though I suspect it will take some very dedicated googling).

See what I mean about the freaky bit

NickelsonWooster.jpg

Advertisement