Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Championship Qualifiers 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

McManus is in a fight with Bai Langning. He's 3-2 up. I'm following the scores through snooker website is anyone watching? How's McManus playing?

I think anyone would love to see Angles back in the Crucible - if he's playing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Have this on in the background, it's not a bad match from the bits i've seen. Big match for mcmanus as he'll drop off tour for first time in his career if he loses this.

Thats McManus gone anyway. This Bai Langning has played some decent stuff this week. As regards mcmanus he is still clinging on to the last spot in the rankings to retain his card, but be astonished if someone doesn't pass him out over next few days.

And it is the end for Angles as he announces his retirement after defeat to Bai. Interesting to hear him say how difficult he found it to play and do his commentary gig. A coda to McManus' retirement is that Fergal is now the second longest consecutive player on tour after Nigel Bond, excluding those awarded wild cards.

https://wst.tv/mcmanus-retires-following-bai-defeat/

And it is the end for Angles as he announces his retirement after defeat to Bai. Interesting to hear him say how difficult he found it to play and do his commentary gig. A coda to McManus' retirement is that Fergal is now the second longest consecutive player on tour after Nigel Bond, excluding those awarded wild cards.

https://wst.tv/mcmanus-retires-following-bai-defeat/

Fair play. I admire him for being able to walk away. If he was enjoying the tv work then he’s dead right to prioritise it. I really enjoy his analysis.

• Advertisement

Had a good career. So, well done to him for that. Right to retire. Hasn't been cutting the mustard for a long time.

Still, he'll be on telly plenty more now, I expect. Must surely be the most insightful analysyt/pundit out there. Definitely knows his stuff.

Fair play. I admire him for being able to walk away. If he was enjoying the tv work then he’s dead right to prioritise it. I really enjoy his analysis.

Yeah, probably not much chance of getting a tour wild card so unless he was fancying a trip to q school, it's probably not that much of a surprise. And very intense with his analysis too, takes it very seriously and obviously puts a lot into it. I'd say he was desperate to get back to crucible one last time but doesn't get any easier. Ken the same i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Can't believe he was in the World SF in 2016. I have no memory of that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Marco Fu was in the other semi in 2016. And he's effectively off the tour also now.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Can't believe he was in the World SF in 2016. I have no memory of that!

The tartan pants!

• Advertisement

Marco will be getting a wild card, be back next season I'd be almost certain.

The tartan pants!

Maybe that's why I erased it from my memory.

McManus was a bit of a dour fella, and a dour player, maybe the Terry Griffiths of his age. Took me a long time to forgive him for beating Ken in 2005, I'd convinced myself that was going to be Kens year, but all in all he was a good bloke and a proper matchplay player, the type they just don't seem to breed so much anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

McManus was a bit of a dour fella, and a dour player, maybe the Terry Griffiths of his age. Took me a long time to forgive him for beating Ken in 2005, I'd convinced myself that was going to be Kens year, but all in all he was a good bloke and a proper matchplay player, the type they just don't seem to breed so much anymore.

His win against Hendry in the Masters is my only standout memory but he was always in the business end of events in the mid 90's
    He's doing the right thing in retiring,Pity a few more of the over 50's dont do the same and bow out with some dignity.

McManus always looked much younger than he is. In contrast to a fella like Dennis Taylor who was 36 when he won in 1985 but just had a very middle aged look, at the time he could pass for 50. McManus is 50 now but could pass for being in his 30s.

Funny how it goes sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

i seem to be one of the few people that really liked terry griffiths.

Thinking about scottish snooker and the players they've churned out over the years - hendry, higgins, mcmanus, dottie etc. Not sure what a night out on the town in glasgow with that lot would look like - you could bring maguire along to enhance the odds of a scrap perhaps! - but they have a knack of producing these hardened matchplay players. And I'd add mcgill too, not as talented and don't see him much throughout the season, but come the business end at the world championships, he always comes into his own, generally there or thereabouts. Always been a good scene up there.

dougm1970 wrote: »
    i seem to be one of the few people that really liked terry griffiths.

Good player from a different era. Himself and Alex had some great scraps on the table back in the day. I remember they were ranked 8 & 9 for a couple of seasons so met a few times in worlds and masters etc. And Terry held sway more often than not, the 1986 worlds was heartbreak for Alex fans! Always liked Terry though, a postman i think who didn't turn pro until he was near 30 or maybe past it and decided to have a shot at the world champs! Turned out ok in the end.

Good player from a different era. Himself and Alex had some great scraps on the table back in the day. I remember they were ranked 8 & 9 for a couple of seasons so met a few times in worlds and masters etc. And Terry held sway more often than not, the 1986 worlds was heartbreak for Alex fans! Always liked Terry though, a postman i think who didn't turn pro until he was near 30 or maybe past it and decided to have a shot at the world champs! Turned out ok in the end.

whats he doing now ?....i heard the academy in glouster he was training out of had closed....does he still coach players ?

whats he doing now ?....i heard the academy in glouster he was training out of had closed....does he still coach players ?

Seems to: https://twitter.com/SnookerGriff

• Advertisement

Not 100% sure tbh, i think he does most of his coaching online now, however that works. Don't think he's working with Mark Allen now anyway so may have stepped away from the professional side, but not certain on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

Not 100% sure tbh, i think he does most of his coaching online now, however that works. Don't think he's working with Mark Allen now anyway so may have stepped away from the professional side, but not certain on that.

Terry is still coaching and is currently developing a new coaching set up with his son Wayne who has been based in Hong Kong for several years now. Terry also still has his club in Llanelli in Wales where he still coaches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The standard in these qualifying matches is really disgraceful. I know some of these guys are struggling to keep their card, but really, there doesn't seem to be anyone with the mental strength to rise above the pressure and knock in a decent break without making it look like very hard work. That's the reason why they're struggling, I suppose, but whoever does make it to the Crucible will be a lamb to the slaughter unless they buck themselves up.

EDIT: The Zhou v Xu match now is an exception to this. It's been of a much better standard so far.

That Zhou-Xu match was very decent. Some of the chinese players are looking quite promising here, Bai Langning and Pang Junxu to name 2. Think they had 6 reach the crucible a couple of years ago, wouldn't be surprised if they beat that this time around. Very gradual progress but they are getting the numbers up there.

Zhou looks to have all the ingredients. His clearance to go 5-5 was great.

Thought selt would win that match comfortably but i should know never to underestimate Nigel Bond. Blew it in the end though, had his chance there.

Another decent chinese prospect here, Chang Bingyu, giving Tom Ford some early problems. Saw Chang a couple of times playing the irish lads and quite impressed with him.

The standard really has picked up today. Now up to 20 centuries for the day so far.

And chang gets it done with a touch of class, seriously impressive stuff from him tonight. Though doubt i've ever heard a player do so much muttering and chuntering to himself as tom ford, total basket case tonight.

• Advertisement

And chang gets it done with a touch of class, seriously impressive stuff from him tonight. Though doubt i've ever heard a player do so much muttering and chuntering to himself as tom ford, total basket case tonight.

He needs to see a shrink. He got some good chances and got in with great first pots, but you could see that he was just waiting for himself to miss the easy second pot.

He needs to see a shrink. He got some good chances and got in with great first pots, but you could see that he was just waiting for himself to miss the easy second pot.

Ford been working with a sports psychologist for the past few months, not seeing the benefits there tonight anyway. Sounded a bit down with life in general during the welsh open a while back, shame really as he has bundles of natural ability.

I didn’t see him today but I’ve seen before that his self talk looks terrible. He looks to have a totally disastrous commentary playing in his head where the commentators call him a dickhead every time he misses. I’m laughing at the idea of Ken and Denis Taylor on commentary agreeing he’s a dickhead for missing that shot

He’s usually a pretty fast player with a season AST of 22 seconds. I’d say that speed suits him so he can’t get into his own head and put himself off but I’ve seen him play far too quickly and miss too many simple shots. But yesterday he was at 28 seconds according to the world snooker stats.

If ever there was a player who could benefit from a Steve Peters or a sports psychologist.

Was a good days snooker yesterday, 7 out of 11 matches went to deciders and a sense the tournament really warming up after some of the earlier low quality fare.

Looking forward to the Perry v Clarke rematch later. Perry spat the dummy out when clarke beat him 6-4 at the same stage last year so you'd imagine would be keen to get revenge. It's probably a decent advantage for Clarke that he's already got two matches under his belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

I see Jimmy White has been given a two year invitational card to continue on the main tour. I like Jimmy but seriously this has got to stop at some point. I’m sure the anoraks on here can tell me how many matches he’s actually won over the last two years ? I’m guessing possibly no more than single figures.

FR01 wrote: »
    I see Jimmy White has been given a two year invitational card to continue on the main tour. I like Jimmy but seriously this has got to stop at some point. I’m sure the anoraks on here can tell me how many matches he’s actually won over the last two years ? I’m guess possibly no more than single figures.

Hearn has said he'll give him a card for as long as he wants one. He won 6 matches this season and none in 19/20...not counting things like the Championship League.

• Advertisement

Jimmy not there on merit anyway. But thing is i guess, people still want to talk about him and watch him when he plays. I even saw people saying they'd signed up for eurosport player just to watch jimmy-hendry last week. It's cheap publicity for the tour, that's all its about. Business.

I see marco got one as well which is fair enough. He's popular so people won't quibble with it much. But Mei Xeiwen was affected by travel restrictions too and lost his card so why shouldn't he get one too? Well, i suppose who really wants to watch Mei Xeiwen? Not really all about fairness at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

FR01 wrote: »
    I see Jimmy White has been given a two year invitational card to continue on the main tour. I like Jimmy but seriously this has got to stop at some point. I’m sure the anoraks on here can tell me how many matches he’s actually won over the last two years ? I’m guessing possibly no more than single figures.

I really think they should draw the line and mandatory retire players at 50 or 55 depending on their ranking.
    inside top 64-carry on
    outside top 64-move on to the legends tour
    Trump was right in the interview the other day,Snooker is obsessed with the past.How many times will we hear about the 85 final over the next few weeks?
    Time for the old guard to leave the stage with dignity and class like McManus and Ebdon and not stay too long like White,Doherty,Hendry etc

Jimmy wasn't a million miles from the top 64 this year. I think he beat Bingham recently and is world senior champion.
    There is no question he stank the place out against Hendry last Monday, but I think he can perform better than that.

As you say Joe, it's good for drumming up interest and business further down the tour.

Jimmy wasn't a million miles from the top 64 this year. I think he beat Bingham recently and is world senior champion.
    There is no question he stank the place out against Hendry last Monday, but I think he can perform better than that.

As you say Joe, it's good for drumming up interest and business further down the tour.

I mean, i don't believe it's right in principle, but i understand the rationale behind it. Barry is first and foremost a business man, he goes on about fairness a lot, creating a level playing field and whatnot, but really at the end of the day, he does what's best for business and that bottom line is why he is where he is.

And i get why people talk about angles retiring with dignity, but people are different and i don't blame jimmy for playing on either as he obviously loves it and doesn't care if people think he is embarrassing himself. Hearn could be offering extra tour cards to q school instead of freebies to his old pals, but i'm sure he's looking at the standard of R1 of these qualifiers and thinkin, hmmm enough of that. And Reanne and Ng is perfect on two fronts - ticks a box AND drums up extra publicity.

Clarke tactically outsmarting perry here, good performance so far. Perry going in cold against a player who's had two tight battles already behind him has to be a big disadvantage i think.

• Advertisement

I think Joe is on the slide now. Doesn't look to have much left in the tank.

Liang through now against Rod Lawler, though Rod put in a bit of a show in the last few frames. The matches are now taking less time than earlier in the week...

Louis Heathcote has just played the most amazing shot in history, I would argue. Snookered tight between the cushion and the black, with nowhere to go. Rammed it along the cushion into the jaws of the bottom right pocket, came up the right side of the table, hit the yellow and potted it in the green pocket. You'll never see the like again. Watch out for the video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

A really great escape and outrageous fluke all rolled into the one shot. Just needed virgo and "the things that can happen on a 12 x 6 foot table".

And then went and blew the frame anyway!

Elsewhere i see the sheriff has shifted up a gear and managed to get his average shot time to just below the 40 second mark. Could be looking at the first post midnight finish there if he manages to nick a couple of frames.

If i had to pick two fellas to win a frame to save my life, neither of these would be near my top 50. Great drama though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Is Bingham due to play this evening at 7.30pm?

did anyone see the brown robert wilkins potted ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement