Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Dublin for good

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

PommieBast wrote: »
    Flip side of the coin is how many businesses are going to collapse due to months of bills and zero revenue. Many will be soletrader/partnerships who as a result are going to lose everything. One big question is how much of the shift to online shopping is also a shift to non-Irish outlets.

Some other posts have talked about businesses going under as if no new business would ever start in the vacant premises, and that entire streets of empty units will collapse and decay forever. Businesses close all the time, and other businesses take their space. With Covid, a lot will close at the same time, but they'll eventually be replaced with something different. The coffee shop might be replaced by a banana bread shop for example (sorry, I couldn't think of anything else that's because popular in the last 12 months).

Edit: baking supplies shop would be more likely.

Dublin doesn't lack variety, your imagination does.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Timely thread I feel. Had the rare opportunity to be in Dublin today. Dropping my SO to a medical appointment, and I'm writing this post as I sit looking out across Dublin Bay with my feet hanging off a pier.

There is a couple of girls just out in front picking up butts and other small rubbish bits with a black bag.

There are throngs of people walking their dogs and pushing prams.

I'm Dublin born and bred and would wax lyrical about the benefits of living rural, we made the move some 5 years ago and it's excellent. I don't get up often to spend some time just looking around and kicking about with my own thoughts sans children and work, but this morning is just that.

Having drove through the city this morning listening to the music of glen hansard, I got to see all of the new cycle splits and seperations great idea. I got to notice people walking about their business off to work, families school whatever and I got a smile across my face. Dublin will always be Dublin. It's not a kip, I've in the past succumbed to the view it's over run with badness or tales of widespread woe. It's simply not true. People are fond of the hyperbole and it's seen throughout this thread.

Like any city Dublin changes it does evolve it offers a home to people at different stages through one's life. Some might move on, some might stay, more will come. But it is a beautiful place, there's alot of history. There's a vibrant life outside the confines of the central retail areas. I've had a lovely walk on the strand this morning killing time waiting to pick up my partner in life/crime and can only feel positive about the time today.

Not to gloss over folks with high rent or boredom woes etc. But you get that everywhere. Negativity can be a mindset it can be all encompassing and if you look for it, it will find you.

So as I sit here watching the two picking up the discarded items of others and bagging them up I'm thinking. People are inherently good. Life can be inherently good.

Wishing all a good Friday wherever you are and whatever you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

PommieBast wrote: »
    I came to Dublin in 2013 and have decided that post-Covid I will be moving to London. Some of this is due to wanting to a fresh start post-Covid but even before the pandemic I felt that Dublin had lost the vibrant feel it had 2014-2017. The screwed-up accommodation situation that messes over landlords and tenants alike bears a lot of responsibility..

And London will be much better? London is even more screwed up for basic accommodation, overpriced and over rated also.

I'm from Dublin , moved to London, enjoyed the first 3 years, 7 years later decided to move back to Dublin.

London is nice to visit for a week-end city break but to live there long term is another kettle of fish. Over priced rental accomodation also, cost of housing is worse than Dublin.

London is over populated and most English have sold up and moved out to Kent, Essex, Surrey , Thames Valley regions.

I was looking at buying in London but I could only afford to live in the likes of Medway towns in Kent and commute up and down to London.

Didnt fancy that so moved back to Dublin and got on the property ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Antares35 wrote: »
    Most people who aren't from Dublin base their perception of it on what they see when they come to Dublin for a match. They think that's where Dublin begins and ends. Their frame of reference is arguably quite limited.

It feels like a lot of these people are basing their expectations on stories of their parent's occasional trios to Dublin decades ago. They arrive off the bus/train and head straigh to O'Connell Street, Henry Street and Parnell Street which are all much different to years ago. It's not really the main Street of Dublin any more, and it's a bit rough looking. Must be a shock to someone who grew up on tales of meeting up outside Clerys or Easons and heading to a decent pub on Parnell Street.

• Advertisement

Antares35 wrote: »
    Most people who aren't from Dublin base their perception of it on what they see when they come to Dublin for a match. They think that's where Dublin begins and ends. Their frame of reference is arguably quite limited. Dublin has beautiful places, mountain and sea areas. I know, I live in one. But, we too are looking to move, not because we think it's a kip but because we don't want to mortgage ourselves to the tune of half a million for a three bed semi for the next three decades. There's more to life than paying a mortgage. You get way more house for your money in the country.

You might get more house, but there's more to life then houses! I
    You get more life in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

listermint wrote: »
    Timely thread I feel. Had the rare opportunity to be in Dublin today. Dropping my SO to a medical appointment, and I'm writing this post as I sit looking out across Dublin Bay with my feet hanging off a pier.

There is a couple of girls just out in front picking up butts and other small rubbish bits with a black bag.

There are throngs of people walking their dogs and pushing prams.

I'm Dublin born and bred and would wax lyrical about the benefits of living rural, we made the move some 5 years ago and it's excellent. I don't get up often to spend some time just looking around and kicking about with my own thoughts sans children and work, but this morning is just that.

Having drove through the city this morning listening to the music of glen hansard, I got to see all of the new cycle splits and seperations great idea. I got to notice people walking about their business off to work, families school whatever and I got a smile across my face. Dublin will always be Dublin. It's not a kip, I've in the past succumbed to the view it's over run with badness or tales of widespread woe. It's simply not true. People are fond of the hyperbole and it's seen throughout this thread.

Like any city Dublin changes it does evolve it offers a home to people at different stages through one's life. Some might move on, some might stay, more will come. But it is a beautiful place, there's alot of history. There's a vibrant life outside the confines of the central retail areas. I've had a lovely walk on the strand this morning killing time waiting to pick up my partner in life/crime and can only feel positive about the time today.

Not to gloss over folks with high rent or boredom woes etc. But you get that everywhere. Negativity can be a mindset it can be all encompassing and if you look for it, it will find you.

So as I sit here watching the two picking up the discarded items of others and bagging them up I'm thinking. People are inherently good. Life can be inherently good.

Wishing all a good Friday wherever you are and whatever you are doing.

8AAgBplP_400x400.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Looking back, I think Dublin is a great place between the ages of 20-35, after that, unless you are earning a lot of money and can afford to live in a nice place in a nice part of the city, I don't think it's worth the hassle.
    Also, just because you move to the country, doesn't mean you have to integrate into some GAA lifestyle either. I know loads of non Dubs who aren't into the GAA , or any other sport in particular.
    There are plenty of musicians, artists, and writers "down the country" if that's who you want to mix with.
    There are plenty of "regular" folk who will go for pints at the weekend etc.
    I don't see the attraction of Dublin for me right now unless it's financial, then I can afford to enjoy Dublin properly.
    The accommodation battle really put me off the place and defines my stint there.
    Yeah, the loads and loads of Tinder dates were good too, but always thinking about rent and if you had to look for a new place etc took the shine off it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Jaysus, someone talking about moving to London? Frying pan and fire. Overpopulated! But as someone mentioned, could be good for your career for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

bubblypop wrote: »
    You might get more house, but there's more to life then houses! I

You get more life in Dublin

It depends on how you define "life". For us, a stable home is an important consideration for us and our (soon to be two) children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Granadino wrote: »
    Looking back, I think Dublin is a great place between the ages of 20-35, after that, unless you are earning a lot of money and can afford to live in a nice place in a nice part of the city, I don't think it's worth the hassle.
    Also, just because you move to the country, doesn't mean you have to integrate into some GAA lifestyle either. I know loads of non Dubs who aren't into the GAA , or any other sport in particular.
    There are plenty of musicians, artists, and writers "down the country" if that's who you want to mix with.
    There are plenty of "regular" folk who will go for pints at the weekend etc.
    I don't see the attraction of Dublin for me right now unless it's financial, then I can afford to enjoy Dublin properly.
    The accommodation battle really put me off the place and defines my stint there.
    Yeah, the loads and loads of Tinder dates were good too, but always thinking about rent and if you had to look for a new place etc took the shine off it all.

We'd be much the same. I lived in Dublin city for years while I worked, went to college etc. It was great being able to walk from one to the other, walk into town for a few pints etc. I wouldn't say a bad word about it tbh. But we are at a different stage in life now. Based on our mortgage approval we could buy in Dublin, but probably not anywhere I would like. It isn't a snob thing, but I don't want to sit for hours in traffic bringing my children to school, or coming home in the evening or even just trying to get near a shopping centre in the month of December! :D I'm also sick to death of being a tenant and putting up with sh*tty treatment from landlords who know it will never be a tenants market. I can't wait to have the autonomy of just having our own place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I had to buy on my own so would never be able to afford Clontarf or Sandymount or whatever, well I couldn't afford that even if I had a partner so had to make do and get a place in Dublin 5, a part which has always been a bit rough round the edges but it's totally fine now.
    A few mins from St Anne's and the sea and Raheny village and Dart etc though.
    I do wish there was affordable housing for single people in more central areas though, although I'm not sure I'd move now, as long as you're close enough to town any part of Dublin is fine really.
    The idea of having to own a car to get around always filled me with dread, I can just borrow or rent one whenever I need one, which isn't that often really.

Biker79 wrote: »
    8AAgBplP_400x400.jpeg

You'd agree with my over a pint. That's the only thing missing from my trip today.

And love the response. Couldn't be anymore Dublin. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Dublin doesn't lack variety, your imagination does.

So tell me - without an ad homeinem - where are the trippy psychedelic bars, the heavy metal bars, the BDSM clubs, the 24-hour dive bars, the cult movie themed bars and the chemical bars in Dublin...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

The scrotes and the wealthy (once they don't want to use public transport and are happy to send their kids to private school) are sorted in Dublin. For the 80% of folk in between it's a hole. Actually I'm sure wealthy folk also despair at all the scrotes...... so really, it's not great unless you are a scrote.
    And I like Dublin :pac:

So tell me - without an ad homeinem - where are the trippy psychedelic bars, the heavy metal bars, the BDSM clubs, the 24-hour dive bars, the cult movie themed bars and the chemical bars in Dublin...?

Erm.....

That's a bizarre set of criteria to make a place great.

Biz-aaare

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

To be honest, if the cost of living wasn't so bad I might have moved back by now. I last lived in the city, near the Navan Road in the late 2000's. It was my first time living in a city and I'd quite like to give it another go having lived in other cities and travelled a bit.

That said, I think I've been reading too much on this site about antisocial behaviour. It was a minor irritant when I lived in Dublin and it's sad to think that it has gotten worse but the cost of living is by far the bigger deterrent for me.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Augeo wrote: »
    The scrotes and the wealthy (once they don't want to use public transport and are happy to send their kids to private school) are sorted in Dublin. For the 80% of folk in between it's a hole. Actually I'm sure wealthy folk also despair at all the scrotes...... so really, it's not great unless you are a scrote.

I don't know, I'm in neither category and life is good. I think lots of country folk come to Dublin and have a 9 year old inner city kid shout at them and that seems to terrify them for life. I don't get this obsession with "scrotes", sure last time I was out in Galway I saw about 5 fights breaking out on a Saturday night, I think they were all travellers though.
    I think Dublin is safer now than it ever was, it's just that incidents involving teenagers etc explode all over social media now so everyone thinks it's a constant warzone.

Those are all bars. You just proved my point about lack of imagination. Congratulations.

Dublin doesn't have BDSM and avant-garde squat bars like they have in Berlin, but it does have our own unique old Victorian pubs and the likes. World would be boring if every city was the same.

• Advertisement

Dublin doesn't have BDSM and avant-garde squat bars like they have in Berlin, but it does have our own unique old Victorian pubs and the likes. World would be boring if every city was the same.

Why is the subject just about bars for some? Like how unimaginative are these people when it comes to spending their free time? All they can think about is the pub!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why is the subject just about bars for some? Like how unimaginative are these people when it comes to spending their free time? All they can think about is the pub!

Absolutely. There's so much more to life than that. One of the reasons I prefer London I think. I was a student in Dublin so it wasn't an issue then but I've no interest in drink now.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Absolutely. There's so much more to life than that. One of the reasons I prefer London I think. I was a student in Dublin so it wasn't an issue then but I've no interest in drink now.

To be fair London has vast selection of amazing pubs and bars!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Heavy metal - Fibbers
    BDSM - I think its closed now
    24 hour bars - get the various elderly publicans out of the Dáil and we'll get some
    Cult movie themed bars - we're getting a Bullitt Hotel on Capel Street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Their beers are appalling though in comparison :-)
    To be fair London has vast selection of amazing pubs and bars!

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I've temporarily relocated to Wicklow after selling my apartment in Smithfield and buying a wreak of house in Broadstone. I can't wait to get the work finished (although getting it started is the current issue!) so I can move back. The lack of variety and utter reliance on a car is really getting me down. One quality of life thing for living outside of Dublin that has improved massively is access to shopping - without internet shopping I'd be driven demented.

Their beers are appalling though in comparison :-)

they're really not, every pub seems to have a different selection, it has changed a lot in the last 10 - 20 years with beer quality and selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Augeo wrote: »

Agree 100% ( and I like Dublin too ).

If only I could buy stocks in the Scrote Industrial Complex, I could retire early.

I really hate the word "scrote", ugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

“Kip” tell me, what utopias have you all moved to.

Dublin is a beautiful city, with amazing heritage and culture. Any night of the week you can go and get great entertainment.

It can be a joy to walk around on a nice day. From the Phoenix park, down along the Liffey and all the way out to Poolbeg lighthouse.

A few mins out of the city and you’re up the Dublin/Wicklow mountains, hellfire club, Tick nock, Wicklow way (best drive in Ireland) and glendalough. Great city life and in a fantastic location.

Everyday I pinch myself at how lucky I am to live here.

Judging Dublin over the last year is madness

Dublin Forever
    Sorry, it isn't. There is very little of any architecture of international significance in the city, which of course is the legacy of occupation and colonialism but that doesn't make it less true.

Dublin also has some serious social problems which make it an unpleasant place to be. Open drug dealing and use in view of main thoroughfares, a widespread, long-standing graffiti, stickering and littering problem, derelict sites and gaudy business hoardings are just a few of the unaddressed issues the city faces.

To paraphrase Warren Buffet, when the tide goes out you find out who's been swimming naked. Well the tide went out for Dublin with Covid and it's most certainly been found to be starkers.

The only way the majority will twin to the city is if they're forced.

Advertisement