Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting elderly person to stop driving.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Straw broke the camels back when my father crashed straight into a roundabout head on. Just luckily two burst tyres. Three months later went around a large round about the wrong way.

Another time backed into a car.

He knows himself and only takes the car to the local shop now which is 4KM away as he knows the road.

This is surely a pi$s take, 4km is plenty of distance to hit another car, a motorcyclist, cyclist or pedestrian.
    I know the local roads but wouldn't drive them blindfolded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    If you have any nice at that stage I will do my civil duty and take it off your hands :pac:

i'm being buried in it.

just a thought, is he one of those who would not want to change cars? If so a catastrophic failure on the beloved car might be what's needed to get him to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I'd hate to be the person who didn't take the car away if the person runs over a kid. Try living with that guilt

But we could all do that, every time we get behind a wheel we are capable of making mistakes.

These things are rarely B/W. It's not as if an elderly relative can drive safely one day and should be barred the next. It's a gradual process in my experience.

For OP, is the uncle really a danger at the moment? That's the first call. If it's obvious then arrange a few people to mention their concerns to him, don't take it all on yourself. And make sure he knows he has some alternative solution.

over the years I've been aware of several elderly drivers whose cars were covered in dents and scratches. My sympathy would be with the owners of the cars they hit, perhaps whilst parked unbeknownst to their owners. One retired Priest I knew of seemed to be regularly writing off cars and appearing in yet another new one.(mirrors folded in was a great warning sign to others...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

The independence is tough but the cut off for not driving should be when you become dangerous not when you physically can't operate the controls anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

Not a piss take, he actually could see 3rd exit on the right as you can as obviously you give way but didn't realize it was a roundabout so just turned right.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,347 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

harr wrote: »
    Hi
    We have tried to speak to him about it but he is having none of it and we feel maybe the local guards is the next step but that seems a severe step ..
    Does anyone have advice on what’s steps we should take ..

If he won't see sense and words don't work, the nuclear option is to get the local Garda Supt. to make an application to the District Court to have him put off the road by taking his licence away. It's known as a 'special disqualification order' .....

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/section/28/enacted/en/html#sec28

• Registered Users Posts: 5,499 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

When I was about 16, my grandad was dropping me into my part time job. He'd lost an eye early in life, but had been a very enthusiastic and capable driver until this point.

When we drove in, he failed to see a traffic cone and ran it over. I had to retrieve it from under the car. He simply had not seen it.

I mentioned it to my dad (his son), and that was apparently the straw that broke the camel's back for grandad driving. They spoke with him, and although saddened, he was too shocked that he'd hit the cone to argue against it.

No elderly person wants an accident on their conscience (never mind the increased physical risk to them) so a quiet caring word might go a long way.

Maybe position a cone or empty box somewhere and if he hits it then that could prompt a conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not a piss take, he actually could see 3rd exit on the right as you can as obviously you give way but didn't realize it was a roundabout so just turned right.
    I think the piss take question was about the fact that your father was still driving three months after his initial crash (and having since had further incidences of bad/dangerous driving).

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

What about a motor scooter, like a Vespa or Piagio?

I appreciate not risk free, but surely better than a car?

Such a tough situation, especially as your uncle lives on his own out in the country. Taking away the car (which I'm absolutely not saying shouldn't be done) will have such an impact on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

kathleen37 wrote: »
    What about a motor scooter, like a Vespa or Piagio?.....
    :confused:

Are you suggesting this for the "uncle who is a bachelor is 87" ?

:eek:

Yawannakillhim ?

@OP, I wonder if there is anyone left on the O & O forum that might have a view on your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Esel wrote: »
    I think the piss take question was about the fact that your father was still driving three months after his initial crash (and having since had further incidences of bad/dangerous driving).

You are correct sir, it was in relation to someone who's a clear danger to all road users still driving because ah sure its only 4km.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

0lddog wrote: »
    :confused:

Are you suggesting this for the "uncle who is a bachelor is 87" ?

:eek:

Yawannakillhim ?

No really. I was thinking of getting one for my Mum. They're sit on, rather than a motorbike. Quite stable and very easy to ride. I'd consider one for myself in a few years.

Advertisement