Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Lights ELV Transformer

Options
  • 08-04-2021 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi All,

I have a dedicated SWA coiled outside the back door from an indoor light switch rather than the outdoor socket. I am looking to run around 6 ELV 12V (3W) lights off this and need some advice on if & which transformer is required for this? I've purchased an outdoor junction box.

Thanks,

Bren

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Almost anything ! ;)

Plenty of old lighting transformers lying around, but you may struggle to find one spec'd for Less than 20Watts.
    And you will struggle to find a wall wart type that will supply 20Watts. (18+change)

Something similar to This: https://www.freetv.ie/power-adapter/

• Registered Users Posts: 41 bren1916

Cheers Whizbang, I'm a bit lost here as I isolated the power & opened up the internal light switch to find the below wiring (assuming the grey sleeve is the outdoor cable that is to be connected) would the neutral and earth not also be needed for the external ELV lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sparkobrien77

Outdoor lighting cable once stripped (should) have 3 cores at least in it ,take the neutral (blue) and connect it to the other neutrals in that connector block that's taped up , the earth should be joined with the other earth at the terminal on the backbox , that should leave you with a brown which will go to L1 on the switch currently not in use and then link the com section of both switches with a bit of brown 1.5 cable,(should be after cutting bit of excess cable off already) obiously power needs to be isolated when completing this.

Perfect, thanks Sparko. Final query, I have outdoor sockets but these are on the side of the house & I would rather control the below ELV lights from the internal light switch or socket to the rear of the house so given the lights come with an adapter, what would you suggest is best practice - ie a new external socket spur or could I hardwire the lights adapter to the light circuit mentioned above via an external junction box?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/4ps-6ps-8ps-COB-LED-Garden-Spotlight-Path-Lawn-Outdoor-Waterproof-Spike-Lights/143670885979?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=443137334010&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

I would always try to keep the mains power inside the house only. Any Junction box outside should be very high quality, rated IP67, and out of harms way.

I Probably would fit a single switched socket beside that switch so its obviously the same circuit. Plug adapter into here.

• Advertisement

Good news is I have power to iP66 socket, bad news the lighting switch (#1) is controlling both original lights and new socket it so I may need to alter internal switch wiring to have switch #2 power the socket. Here's a diagram of what I've done..

Update: I swapped the original Com and L1 wires and working perfectly now (original electrician had live feed going to L1 rather than COM).

Advertisement