Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detecting cut cable

Options
  • 04-04-2021 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

Is there any device that will detect a cable cut, similar to a device in an alarm circuit.

Example: if I cut an outdoor cable, I will probably trigger the RCD but it's not guaranteed that it will. I'm looking for a device that would detect that current is not travelling to the other end. Does such a device exist that would then disconnect the power?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Henry.

alan4cult wrote: »
    Is there any device that will detect a cable cut, similar to a device in an alarm circuit.

Example: if I cut an outdoor cable, I will probably trigger the RCD but it's not guaranteed that it will. I'm looking for a device that would detect that current is not travelling to the other end. Does such a device exist that would then disconnect the power?
    When you say current, how much ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Cut off power so if it's still live you don't get a bang off it.....

There are cable finders for buried cables, I actually have 2 industrial ones but well out of date on commission.

Were you digging?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Henry.

Of the top of my head ,the 2 basic ways im familiar with is

Monitoring at the origin using current sensing, that requires a connected load

Monitoring at the remote end, that requires a separate pair to monitor the voltage (?) at the remote end

You can probably do the latter monitoring wirelessly

Probably other methods available

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Cut off power so if it's still live you don't get a bang off it.....

There are cable finders for buried cables, I actually have 2 industrial ones but well out of date on commission.

Were you digging?
    No no I'm not digging, I'm more curious if such a device exists. SWA should trigger an RCD due to either a neutral/earth fault or a line/earth or line/netural but it also may not. If it's a perfect cut with a non metallic object

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

• Advertisement
Advertisement