Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a driveway & DCC Dishing

Options
  • 01-03-2021 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone got a driveway added to their home which required dishing by DCC. I took a look on their website and they want planning permission approved first.

If you've been through the process what was the total cost and how long did it take?

Many thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

I think it took maybe 2 - 3 weeks after I'd paid, and cost AFAIR €550 - this was 4 or 5 years ago now. They started on a Sunday morning at 8am - neighbours weren't best pleased :D The dishing itself was done over a couple of days, dug one day, concreted the next etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭JohnRock

Thanks for this. How did you get planning permission? Can you recommend someone?

We had applied for permission for a house extension and the driveway at the same time. We had used an architect in Blackrock (Dublin) because he was doing an extension on a house around the corner from us at the time. The majority of the work was obviously on the extension - which we never got to build in the end - so it might be over kill for just a drive way - I don't know - but I can p.m. you the details if you like?

D.

To get the path dished, I had to go into DCC myself. I found the department and a grumpy guy came out, scribbled on my application, and told me to go down and pay in the lobby - and not to come back even if they tried to send me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭JohnRock

If you wouldn't mind that would be great. You've been very helpful

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

dazberry wrote: »
    To get the path dished, I had to go into DCC myself. I found the department and a grumpy guy came out, scribbled on my application, and told me to go down and pay in the lobby - and not to come back even if they tried to send me :D

Obviously after planning as,you have to produce this document.

JohnRock wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anyone got a driveway added to their home which required dishing by DCC. I took a look on their website and they want planning permission approved first.

If you've been through the process what was the total cost and how long did it take?

Many thanks,

You don’t get planning for the dishing. The dishing is done on a public path so DCC do these works of production of a granted planning application to create or alter a vehicular entrance.

It’s a set fee of €788 if I recall correctly and that covers you for about 7 or 8 square meters. That should cover most Dublin dishes.

Now the hard part.
    You have to get planning to create or alter a vehicular entrance. I’ve lodged a hundred of these over the years with about 95% success rate. The refusals were for people taking the mick and looking for weird, separate or larger entrances.

DCC will allow 3.6m max opening. This is written Into their development plan, but it’s taken into context with surround properties, lamp standards and existing mature trees.

Do you have an entrance you want to widen or do you have none at all and are looking to create one?

The issue to you here is that it’s a normal planning application so drawings required, newspaper ad, OSi maps etc
    It takes 8 weeks from the date of lodgement to get a decision and 4 weeks after that for ABP appeals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Isn't one of DCC's most overriding conditions that there not be a loss of any allocated disc parking spaces? Are you in an area with controlled parking? If yes, you may be on a road to nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Be careful about the increased risk of flooding resulting from concreting over a garden.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Isn't one of DCC's most overriding conditions that there not be a loss of any allocated disc parking spaces? Are you in an area with controlled parking? If yes, you may be on a road to nowhere.

If there’s Pay and Display outside, there’s a calculation that the council will ask for by condition and it’s based on the average income over a period of time for the meters there.

Be careful about the increased risk of flooding resulting from concreting over a garden.

Most driveways will be gently sloped away from the dwelling. There should be no risk of flooding. This and the fact that the hard standing is conditioned to be permeable and there will always be a small green space left I would say the risk of flooding is quite low.

• Advertisement

One of the planning conditions for our driveway was to leave a gap at each side for drainage.

Gumbo wrote: »
    If there’s Pay and Display outside, there’s a calculation that the council will ask for by condition and it’s based on the average income over a period of time for the meters there.

Are you sure about that as I can think of 10 or more applications around me over past 10 years (I have lived here for 5) which were declined on the grounds that policy is not to permit the removal of a pay/display space to facilitate an entrance for a driveway. There was no call for a contribution. The only successful application involved a combination of expensive surveys of the surrounding streets for months (to demonstrate lack of usage) together with an emotional plea (widower with 2 kids under 3).

Are you sure about that as I can think of 10 or more applications around me over past 10 years (I have lived here for 5) which were declined on the grounds that policy is not to permit the removal of a pay/display space to facilitate an entrance for a driveway. There was no call for a contribution. The only successful application involved a combination of expensive surveys of the surrounding streets for months (to demonstrate lack of usage) together with an emotional plea (widower with 2 kids under 3).

Depends on location.
    There are certain areas where the removal of the on street parking just won’t happen, Iona road in Glasnevin for example, and the streets around it.

I should have saved the reference I had but can’t find it now. It may be outdated by now though.

Depends on location.
    There are certain areas where the removal of the on street parking just won’t happen, Iona road in Glasnevin for example, and the streets around it.

I should have saved the reference I had but can’t find it now. It may be outdated by now though.

The is the standard bumpf which appears in the refusals I have seen. On its face, it is of fairly broad applicaiton to residential streets as opposed to estates. It would be pretty unusual for houses built prior to 50s/60s to have any level of drive ways. Some of the ones I have seen refused would have front gardens which could hold 20-30 cars (not that they ever would) such that I would see it as a fairly broadly based policy.

Section 17.40.11 of the Plan states that there will be a presumption against the
    removal of on-street parking spaces to facilitate the provision of vehicular access to single dwellings in predominantly residential areas where residents are largely reliant on on-street car parking spaces.
    The removal of an on-street communal car parking space to facilitate the provision of a private driveway is considered undesirable as it reduces the number of spaces available for residents, commercial/leisure uses and the wider community and is contrary to Dublin City Council’s policy .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

JohnRock wrote: »
    Hi,

Many thanks,

You will need an Architect or CAD engineer. see link, its all explained and fees etc

https://www.dublincity.ie/residential/transportation/road-maintenance-services/modify-footpath-allow-vehicular-access

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Funny enough, about ten or maybe more years ago we were considering widening the dishing on the road. There was a huge cherry tree on the verge between the houses and the council agreed it needed to come down. Neighbours happy about this too.

Anyway, the tree was removed. We went on holidays, and when we got back the dishing was done to include the space where the tree was. We were gobsmacked, but according to the foreman he said it was approved by the council members that all dishes in the area that were cracked or old would be replaced, and so they were. Those were the days when money was sloshing around, but I ain't complaining. This was SDCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Someone I knew got it done in the 90s. No planning needed and the council never sent a bill.

Funny enough, about ten or maybe more years ago we were considering widening the dishing on the road. There was a huge cherry tree on the verge between the houses and the council agreed it needed to come down. Neighbours happy about this too.

Anyway, the tree was removed. We went on holidays, and when we got back the dishing was done to include the space where the tree was. We were gobsmacked, but according to the foreman he said it was approved by the council members that all dishes in the area that were cracked or old would be replaced, and so they were. Those were the days when money was sloshing around, but I ain't complaining. This was SDCC.

Sometimes you can be incredibly lucky.
    Near me, one resident got wind that the council would be relaying the footpaths on his road in 6 months time. They had already started in and around Dublin 11, so his road was on the list in a particular order.

He rang me about getting a driveway. My advice was to get his planning in ASAP as the contractors doing the paths will only lay a dish where there was a vehicular entrance otherwise it was like for like.

So I got his planning in, then his 3 neighbours got informed and from one stretch of road I lodged 4 applications for vehicular entrances.

3 months later, planning granted. All 4 of them got the walls knocked down and new pillars etc into place. About 2 months after that the crew started on their road. They all got dishing free of charge because they had their entrances in places. They all saved about €800.
    Someone I knew got it done in the 90s. No planning needed and the council never sent a bill.

No planning required for dishing. It’s a roads department exercise. The planning is for the vehicular entrance in the boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

If anyone has a driveway contractor recommendation I’d appreciate a PM.

I’m based in Dublin 7

If anyone has a driveway contractor recommendation I’d appreciate a PM.

I’m based in Dublin 7

The council do it.
    No private contractors do it as the cost of the PI that had to be put forward and you have to pay a bond that’s returned 12 months later.

You won’t get a contractor to carry out this job for less that what DCC charge (€800).

• Advertisement

Apologies - my mistake.

The dishing has been done already.

I'm looking for recommendations for paving the driveway in cobblelock (PM's for recommendations in D7).

I've had a few people out to quote but I'm not sure about them.

Apologies - my mistake.

I'm looking for recommendations for paving the driveway in cobblelock (PM's for recommendations in D7).

Garden paving really is a hit and miss trade.
    Walk around Cabra and look for gardens you like.

Knock in and ask who done it and how long ago. Ask if there’s maintenance.
    It’s the only way. The home owners won’t mind at all based on my experience of doing the same thing and then having someone knock at my door rolling it getting done.

A;ways good to hear of a laving contract that done a job 5 years ago still being in business today. I could name 10 “companies” that no longer exist for one reason or another. They seem to pop up, get real,busy during summer months when everyone is screaming for the work then they disappear.

Thanks Gumbo

I have walked and asked around Cabra but as you said some contractors disappear but also the quotes can be crazy.

I’m on the lookout to get my back garden done with a patio (grey sandstone or natural stone) but I don’t think I’ll knock on the neighbours doors for that!! - lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Apologies - my mistake.

There is a guy on annamoe Road, can't remember the name of his company I know someone who got him to to some work. He did a good job at the time

Thanks Gumbo

I have walked and asked around Cabra but as you said some contractors disappear but also the quotes can be crazy.

I’m on the lookout to get my back garden done with a patio (grey sandstone or natural stone) but I don’t think I’ll knock on the neighbours doors for that!! - lol

The problem with patios and paving is that the cheap guys disappear and the expensive guys are expensive because they do it properly and are still in operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭lucat

I'm in the process of buying a new house on a road that has on-street parking. In January 2020 the next door neighbours got planning for a driveway, which they've put in. But even though they park there, the street parking in front of the driveway has not yet been removed by DCC, so access is blocked! It's the most ridiculous sight to see their car blocked in by the street parking. I was wondering why DCC might not have removed it yet. Any ideas?

lucat wrote: »
    I'm in the process of buying a new house on a road that has on-street parking. In January 2020 the next door neighbours got planning for a driveway, which they've put in. But even though they park there, the street parking in front of the driveway has not yet been removed by DCC, so access is blocked! It's the most ridiculous sight to see their car blocked in by the street parking. I was wondering why DCC might not have removed it yet. Any ideas?

Very strange!
    Have they got into them about it’s removal?
    Maybe they haven’t paid the contribution for the planning (if there’s one outstanding).

Very strange!
    Have they got into them about it’s removal?
    Maybe they haven’t paid the contribution for the planning (if there’s one outstanding).

I don't know, I'm going to introduce myself on Sunday & I'll ask them then. It's a bit concerning though.

lucat wrote: »

I know plenty of places where street markings such as for bus stops and parking spaces remain after they have been neutralised by a driveway/dropped kerb. It’s unlawful to park in them and bock the entry/exit. The road markings do not overrule the dropped kerb/entrance.

• Advertisement

I know plenty of places where street markings such as for bus stops and parking spaces remain after they have been neutralised by a driveway/dropped kerb. It’s unlawful to park in them and bock the entry/exit. The road markings do not overrule the dropped kerb/entrance.

Really?! Most people probably don't know that. Why don't they just remove the markings when they drop the kerb? Paint over them or whatever has to be done.

Advertisement