Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Choosing a place to live - Youghal or Skibbereen?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭rightoldpickle

Just reading this now and wondering where you ended up? We have just relocated to East cork and this thread was handy. We still havemy fully decided on where to settle yet but we are in no rush!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 OrlaWard

Which did you go for?
    We are looking at Youghal ourselves!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 vonievega

Hello love to know did you move back and where did you settle.
    Thanks Rodriguez

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lucy B

We are thinking of youghal too......have had offer accepted on a fab house there and have to ring to confirm by tomorrow....or else a neg equity house in Fermoy area where we live, kids in school etc here, but not getting anywhere fast with them.......what to do!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I see some unflattering comments about Youghal my native town.Can people not talk about the merits of another town without dissing another one.We are Cork people after all.Youghal is a dump.Youghal is full of scumbags according to some people.No town is perfect but Youghal is the home of some of the warmest friendliest and most welcoming people in the country.Whoever you are there's a warm welcome in Youghal for you.The town has some brilliant old world architecture like the clock gate, a cathedral, Tyntes Castle, the medieval walls and the medieval alms houses.If you like history then there's plenty of it in County Corks oldest town.Not to mention a beach, a beautiful scenic harbour setting and a fine selection of pubs and restaurants and the town is within commuting distance of both Cork and Waterford cities.Cork hurling legend Seamie Harnedy went to school in the town.Champion jockey Davey Russell is from Youghal.I may be biased but i would argue with anyone that Youghal is a fine Irish town.:) Check out the beautiful villages within close proximity to the town of Killeagh on the right side of the Cork and Waterford border and Ardmore over the border in Waterford.You have Cork City within driving distance and beautiful West Waterford on you're doorstep.What more can you ask for in my opinion.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

From a Waterford man, I think Youghal is one of the most under rated towns in Ireland.

Not too many towns have a beach on their doorstep, and many others within a few miles. I find the Youghal people extremely friendly and very witty.

Its one of my favorite places in Cork and looking at the price of houses there, I believe it offers an awful lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Youghal is a kip. Half the town is closed down.

Somewhere like Midleton, Castlemartyr or Rostellan would be nicer. Or better yet go to Ardmore, or Dungarvan or somewhere in West Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

HillFarmer wrote: »
    From a Waterford man, I think Youghal is one of the most under rated towns in Ireland.

Not too many towns have a beach on their doorstep, and many others within a few miles. I find the Youghal people extremely friendly and very witty.

Its one of my favorite places in Cork and looking at the price of houses there, I believe it offers an awful lot.

+1. I love Youghal and spend a couple of weekends a year down there. Find it to be extremely friendly. I especially enjoy Friday nights in Moby Dick's for the singing; there's always a warm welcome from the folk in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Luckily

Aglomerado wrote: »
    +1. I love Youghal and spend a couple of weekends a year down there. Find it to be extremely friendly. I especially enjoy Friday nights in Moby Dick's for the singing; there's always a warm welcome from the folk in there.

How does Youghal look today ? Is this place still the best one or something has been changed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jodiejean

Rodrigues wrote: »
    Hello all, I'm hoping some of you might be able to give me some advice. My husband and I have finally decided to move back to Ireland. We've decided, for various reasons to settle in Cork, but I'm a but lost as to where exactly would be a good place to live. Our situation briefly, is this; I'm 41, hubby is 42. He's French and will really need some work on his English. We have two kids, 2 yrs and 5 months. We want to send them to a Gaelscoil as I'm a fluent Irish speaker. We don't want to live more than 10 minutes from the sea. Hubby will be staying at home initially to look after the kids. I'm self employed, so will be trying to work from home. We can afford a small house with no mortgage - we have around €110k. But I need an office, and we'd like a garage and a garden. So.... Any thoughts? On paper, Youghal looks really good, easy access to city, Gaelscoil up to secondary, by the sea and houses are cheaper than Skibbereen. But I've seen a lot of comments online saying that it's a kip... Also, don't know how easy it is to make a life(socially) in either place? Neither if us has any contacts in the area and no family left in Ireland. All thoughts welcome!

Hi i was wondering what choice u made and if u r happy there now. Any regrest??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 saoirse2965

Hi... I too was wondering whereabouts you decided to settle. I am currently looking at Cork,but there aren't many pickings out there and prices are rising rapidly. I am considering Youghal as it seems more reasonable than the likes of Midleton.

Advertisement