Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Do Adults See In WWE?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The Golden Era was where it was at for me. Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Jake the Snake Roberts, The Natural Disasters, original Undertaker, Legion of Doom and their massive spikes, the Harts, Shaun Michaels, Tatanka, Million Dollar Man, Hacksaaaaaaaaaw Jim Duggan, Papa Shango, even Mr. T for a while... Such good memories. Didn't like the following eras tbh. Also didn't appreciate them turn the Undertaker into a biker/rocker.

Edit: Golden Era roster

Died a death a bit around ‘98 or ‘99 when the WCW were poaching the likes of Hogan, Hall, Nash who led an exodus of talent to WCW. Always thought it odd that no mainstream broadcasters had WCW tv shows available here...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The Golden Era was where it was at for me. Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Jake the Snake Roberts, The Natural Disasters, original Undertaker, Legion of Doom and their massive spikes, the Harts, Shaun Michaels, Tatanka, Million Dollar Man, Hacksaaaaaaaaaw Jim Duggan, Papa Shango, even Mr. T for a while... Such good memories. Didn't like the following eras tbh. Also didn't appreciate them turn the Undertaker into a biker/rocker.

Edit: Golden Era roster

Your missing the rock and mick foley. Also ECW was crazy!

Foley is a mad fuçker... I remember mankind making its debut and somebody either Jim Ross or Jerry Lawler come out with something like “ I heard a few years ago he tried to enter an ugly contest but they said ‘sorry, no professionals’ “

Mad as a box of frogs, creepy as fûck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

McGaggs wrote: »
    Watching WWE is exactly the same as watching soaps.

Exactly the same? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Exactly the same? I don't think so.

Yeah, WWE is more entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Strumms wrote: »

Same lad playing both wrestlers. ;)

I knew that.:) I was just joking as back then we were supposed to believe that the likes of Tugboat and Typhoon were completely different people.

Anyway, the WWF/E used to be good when it had larger than life characters, who had proper storylines and who acutally lived and breathed their gimmicks. Now, the wrestlers are far too bland, are being 'humanised' and have too much of a presence on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Rothko wrote: »
    Yeah, WWE is more entertaining.

It's a modern day combo of gladiators and theatre.

Sure it's fake, everyone knows it's fake, but it's no more fake than any other fight scene in a movie or on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It’s people that talk about the fighters storylines and fights as if they were all real. That’s what confuses me. I’m not sure if they actually believe it’s fake. Have a look at the wrestling forum. They chat away like it’s real life. I can only assume they’re adults

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

The most interesting part of Wrestling is watching the shoot interviews from old superstars.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    It’s people that talk about the fighters storylines and fights as if they were all real. That’s what confuses me. I’m not sure if they actually believe it’s fake. Have a look at the wrestling forum. They chat away like it’s real life. I can only assume they’re adults

people do the exact same thing on the TV forums

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I thought it was mostly kids who watched its on sat morning no?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,406 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I assume they know it's fake....so what's the appeal?

Its no different to people getting excited about story lines in fair city/eastenders/corry etc.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    people do the exact same thing on the TV forums

Do they? Jesus, what’s happening to society

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Do yerselves a favour when the whole Covid-19 situation is over. Look out for OTT Wrestling shows in Dublin, Waterford and Belfast, or Phoenix Wrestling in Cork (and sometimes Limerick) and go along with a friend or two. Cheer for the faces, boo the heels, and you'll have an unbelievable night out. These people are incredible entertainers, and the shows are infinitely more fun when you're there in the audience.

I knew that.:) I was just joking as back then we were supposed to believe that the likes of Tugboat and Typhoon were completely different people.

Anyway, the WWF/E used to be good when it had larger than life characters, who had proper storylines and who acutally lived and breathed their gimmicks. Now, the wrestlers are far too bland, are being 'humanised' and have too much of a presence on social media.

Yep, now it’s like there are zero characters, just the ‘man in the street angle’. Cena is even hosting and presenting shows on Nickleodean, very blandsville. Probably a lot of wrestlers using it as an attempted stepping stone to Hollywood..trying at least..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

As for WWE specifically, it's the biggest company on this side of the planet. They have the money to do the big production. Music, lights, videos, pyrotechnics, bigger spots, the lot. The best of the best tend to end up there (apart from some who prefer Japan) so you're usually guaranteed elite athletic performances mixed with pantomime conflict and punctuated with some decent laugh out loud moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Do they? Jesus, what’s happening to society

Nothing, but sure what's the difference between this and other speculation on sports?

Take the massive amount of column inches about football, GAA, MMA or whatever you have. Most of the off the pitch/ ring stuff is PR make believe.

The rivalries and drama are mostly between the fans, not the players. Do Man U player really give a sh*t about rivalry with Man City? Not chance.
    Remember the McGregor /Mayweather stuff. They'd spend 30 mins giving each other sh*t on camera. It's all a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And at least something is happening constantly in WWE, unlike soccer where you could wait 90 minutes and still nothing happens...

And at least something is happening constantly in WWE, unlike soccer where you could wait 90 minutes and still nothing happens...

Soccer at least is a competitive sport. Nothing is scripted. Wrestling the outcome and result as well as the finish is scripted, rehearsed the lot. It’s more like a slightly more violent circus. Not a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Never said it was a sport. I inferred it was more entertaining than soccer. Which it is. Because soccer is terribly painful to watch.

Also, there's plenty of scripting in soccer. It happens when someone suffers a life altering injury but is magically perfect again a few seconds after the ref has given a free and a card. They act better than those in Fair City in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Strumms wrote: »
    Soccer at least is a competitive sport. Nothing is scripted. Wrestling the outcome and result as well as the finish is scripted, rehearsed the lot. It’s more like a slightly more violent circus. Not a sport.

It doesn't advertise itself as sport.

The clue is in the name. World Wrestling Entertainment. The wrestlers aren't called wrestlers. For the most part, they're "entertainers" and/or "superstars". They're not going out talking about how they could take on Khabib Nurmagomedov.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Nothing, but sure what's the difference between this and other speculation on sports?

Other sports are just that, sports. It’s made up, fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Zak Flaps wrote:

What! No it's fcuking not!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Do yerselves a favour when the whole Covid-19 situation is over. Look out for OTT Wrestling shows in Dublin, Waterford and Belfast, or Phoenix Wrestling in Cork (and sometimes Limerick) and go along with a friend or two. Cheer for the faces, boo the heels, and you'll have an unbelievable night out. These people are incredible entertainers, and the shows are infinitely more fun when you're there in the audience.

Been meaning to get to one of these for aaaaaages

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Been meaning to get to one of these for aaaaaages

Hear they're a good laugh alright

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Fake as it is those guys take some pounding.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 SlitsK92

I grew up with it & never really grew out of it, I used to be very into it believing story lines etc until I was a teenager, then I started to look at it as pure Entertainment & see it no different from someone watching a TV show for their entertainment, I still enjoy it now especially the likes of Wrestlemania

• Registered Users Posts: 32 SlitsK92

Storylines fake, sure, boxing & kicks fake too, some are very good at making it look real, but the moves, nothing fake about those, throwing each other off ladders through tables ect, pure entertainment.. many people take the piss out of it and call it all fake, I'd love to see them get in and have a go lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I used to watch wrestling in my early/mid teens. Not so much in my late teens and then I discovered the joys of MMA and left wrestling behind.

Still don't have a problem with adults watching, as others have said it's no different than watching soaps except with probably better acting.

That said I did know a guy in his early 20s who insisted it was real and used to get really annoyed when we told him it wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

The Bret Hart autobiography was one of the best I ever read.

Advertisement