Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Do Adults See In WWE?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I've taken my son to a couple of the live wrestling shows that (used to) travel around the country and it's genuinely great fun. It's like going to a pantomime with flying scissors kicks. You get to watch some genuinely impressive gymnastics and choreography and being in the crowd while they boo and whoop at the overacting is kind of exhilarating. And at the end, there's always a confetti canon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

celt262 wrote: »
    Is the brothers name Kane by any chance?
    Oh, so you know him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

What do they see? Big meaty men, slappin' meat!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I used to be the same in my utter disdain for it until I went to Mexico City and saw the Lucha Livre live. Absolutely hilarious craic, necking beers watching this mad acrobatic theatre with insane storylines playing out in front of me. By the end of it myself and me mate had tears streaming down our eyes from laughing so hard. It’s a form of theatre, a show to be watched and reality suspended for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    I assume they know it's fake....so what's the appeal?

What do adults see in movies/soaps/tv series? I assume they know it's fake....so whats the appeal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I hadn't watched wrestling since I was about 12, but recently for some reason I have been going through old clips from the Attitude era on Youtube, Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock and all that gang.

I genuinely wish I had been watching it for real in the late 90's, there seems to be such a buzz from it, the crowds are mental and I can completely see why the Monday night wars were a thing back then. That old school idea of anything could happen but you have to wait a week to find out!

I don't watch any of the new stuff, it just seems boring in comparison, but those old clips and interviews are fun.

The Attitude Era was brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

indulgent escapism and childhood nostalgia...its a bit of light fluff thats not too heavy on the mind,no blood and gore (well the occasional splatter of blood) ,murder or any of the depressing world issues at play. pure theatre, bubble gum for the brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I haven’t watched it in about 15 years.. I cannot see the appeal of these everyman blandsville fûckers like John Cena, Goldberg, Roman Reigns, Edge etc.... loads of stuff like interviews with them out of character which ok, we know it isn’t ‘real’ but an enjoyable aspect was wondering about the person who might exist behind the persona, the mystery... it kind of betrays the on camera stuff when we have the chance to dissect everything...but such is the public demand for reality... even the undertaker is while retiring ok, just yapping from his front room in YouTube clips.

Ok the whole persona and personality driven era has been replaced with more of a reality era demand.. not convinced it works.

You remember watching Earthquake walking down the isle purposefully and genuinely believed he wanted to KILL his opponent... now you can appreciate it’s more theater and they’ll be all having a beer together backstage.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

The actual wrestling itself is interesting to watch if you get genuinely skilled people who can do all kinds of impressive moves. It's just all the typically American BS that goes with it, the whole pantomime of the thing, the trash talk, the fake conflict etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No one knows why they do it, but they do do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Why do adults watch movies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Is it still as popular amongst adults? My brother and his friends were wrestling fans up until a few years ago, but now seem to have transitioned to that horrific UFC cage fighting instead. They'll sit up on a Saturday night drinking and smoking weed while watching men kick each other in the head for money. Grotesque. Wrestling seems positively twee in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Used to watch it in the 80s when, like every other kid, I wanted to be Hulk Hogan. Wrestlemania III was the biggest event. Almost like a World Cup match or something. Been watching a lot of that old stuff on YouTube over the last few weeks out of nostalgia as much as anything else. It was a fascinating era.

Started watching again in the early 2000s as a housemate of mine was big into it. Watching fellas like Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit was fascinating because they were so good at what they did. And watching The Rock’s promos is still hilarious today – there are few people as funny and as good as he is at playing a crowd.

Don’t have any interest in it now at all but have a massive amount of respect for the lads that do it. It’s not real but you’ve got to be tough and committed to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

It was great entertainment. The charisma of Diamond Dallas Paige, Jake the Snake,ect.Even the Iron Sheik!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

iguana wrote: »
    I've taken my son to a couple of the live wrestling shows that (used to) travel around the country and it's genuinely great fun. It's like going to a pantomime with flying scissors kicks. You get to watch some genuinely impressive gymnastics and choreography and being in the crowd while they boo and whoop at the overacting is kind of exhilarating. And at the end, there's always a confetti canon!

That's just it, it's theatre that the crowd gets to engage in. It does create magic when done right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Mellor wrote: »
    What Do Adults See In Coronation st? I assume they know it's fake....so what's the appeal?

You do realise that most popular TV shows are fake. It's entertainment, that's all.

Dont start me on that one!!!! I am blessed that my current wife only like Hollyoaks. Its the same shyte every two years. Someone dies, forbidden romance from mismatched couples, running feud.... it all ends up in the pub. stop run and repeat every two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

bassy wrote: »
    hot women :D

hot men ;)

bassy wrote: »
    hot women :D

Chyna in her prime.....whoooa be still my beating heart!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Fake as it is those guys take some pounding. Alot of them are falling apart by the time they retire. It is a tough life.
    Depressing the amount of guys I loved when I was a kid that have died young.
    Macho man, Road Warriors, Ravishing Rick Rude, the list goes on and on and on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Trish Stratus!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

smck321 wrote: »
    Maybe they like the homoeroticism, who are you to judge.

:confused:

I never got homoeroticism from wwe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Jimson

https://youtu.be/9hMp65SzyTU Scroll to around 90 secs.

https://youtu.be/8Jb6Zef2NUE

Same match, nearly died.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Trish Stratus!!

That is my future wife you are talking about!!!

Alyssa LeBrock, Steven Segals daughter is wrestling now.!!!

WWE is great entertainment.

To be honest, I don't quite understand how things like UFC are so popular. I get that they're a "legit" sport, but unlike WWE and, for example, football, UFC is really poor as a TV show. It just doesn't present well as an event worth sitting down and watching, in my (perhaps unpopular) opinion.

Whereas WWE is engineered and designed to be broadcast specifically to a home audience. You won't (generally) have a 3 month build up to a wrestling that ends in 13 seconds by a lucky kick in the chin. You get the somersaults, suplexes, smashed commentary desks, etc. that go along with making it an enjoyable experience to watch from your sofa.

Like I used to do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and it was great craic when you were the one rolling around grappling with people, but watching others do it quickly becomes fairly boring.

It's the real larger-than-life, exaggerated characters, the pyro, music, lighting, the great commentary (well, in the past, newer commentary isn't great). It's escapism and great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

The whole point in watching something you enjoy which will be usually fake or staged again (cop shows, border patrol basically anything that seemed 2 simple) is its entertainment it is escapism its is a chance to lock up your brain in a straight jacket and then a box so you can unwind.

Sports in not in the fake or staged cateogory

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Watching WWE is exactly the same as watching soaps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Xenoman11

smck321 wrote: »
    Maybe they like the homoeroticism, who are you to judge.

what's gay about two sweaty muscly men groping and throwing each other around while grunting a lot?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Xenoman11

Chyna in her prime.....whoooa be still my beating heart!!!

Never got her she's a bit too death by snoo snoo for me nia Jax now is a goddess amongst women

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The Golden Era was where it was at for me. Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Jake the Snake Roberts, The Natural Disasters, original Undertaker, Legion of Doom and their massive spikes, the Harts, Shaun Michaels, Tatanka, Million Dollar Man, Hacksaaaaaaaaaw Jim Duggan, Papa Shango, even Mr. T for a while... Such good memories. Didn't like the following eras tbh. Also didn't appreciate them turn the Undertaker into a biker/rocker.

Edit: Golden Era roster

Advertisement