Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a parttime business when still earning paye

Options
  • 24-10-2020 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Is the above possible or what would be the best way to approach this. So basically I’m in a paye job. And due to finish in about a year. So at the min I’m looking to start a business be it either part time or full time or what ever way I can do it. And also if some one could tell me what way tax would work. I’ve being thinking about it awhile but no f all in that regard or what way to go about it.
    Any advice would be great thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

It is possible.

I recommend you speak with an accountant.
    Better to receive good advice from the start then have to engage an accountant later on just to fix a (probably expensive) mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 cheops

I've done it. If its part-time or building up, start as a sole trader, dont worry about tax for a while, but do set up a separate bank account and keep track of your start up costs. Put 20% of your profits aside for tax if you are very concerned but generally your start-up costs in the first two years will reduce your overall tax liability.

Get your business up and running concentrate on sales or clients.....everything else will follow

Good luck:)

I have found that accountants are generally useless for small businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭brynne

There's no problem at all, starting a business and paying PAYE. I've done it. Presently, you tax is paid to the Revenue by your employer. Once you start earning income from your own business, you'll need to complete a tax return and link your records on ROS. So, yes, you would do well to consult an accountant as - apart from anything else - there will be set up expenditure and capital allowances that can be set against your overall tax liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What industry are you in, OP. Advice for an affiliate marketer, for example, would be wayyy different to that to a mechanic.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

First off have you any contractual issues which stop you from doing this - depending on the business you plan to setup is it a conflict of interest to your current job or in your contract you cant compete etc?

If not then yes it is possible - you will submit an additional tax return form declaring the additional earnings and based on your tax allowance and what tax you pay on your current paye earnings you will most likely end up paying the higher tax rate on the additional income.

If you are serious about starting a business then look into a start your own business course from your local enterprise office, they will give you advice on setting up and the tax side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You can declare up to €5000 profit on your Revenue account without registering a sole trader.

Highly recommend the LEO courses - I did one years ago which stood me very well.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

cheops wrote: »
    I have found that accountants are generally useless for small businesses.

Please do not take this advice long term.
    A good accountant, that you trust can save you multiples of their fee and ensure you are able to concentrate on growing your business in the knowledge that your affairs are compliant.

Advertisement