Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your first GNU/Linux install?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I first seen Linux in 1997 when I started secondary school as my school had a Linux server and we used DOS telnet client on pc class lab workstations to log into and check your emails with pine download files with FTP or chat using IRC. That was slackware 3.4 with 2.0.30 afair.

I liked it so much that in January 1998 I installed Monkey Linux on my own pc. That was very basic distro where whole root filesystem was in directory on DOS partition and using UMSDOS filesystem kernel managed to mount it.
    Played with it for a week or two and the installed red hat 5.
    Then since mid 1998 I sticked with Slackware on my pc and pretty much completely abandoned Windows for many years to come.
    Again in 2004 I gave up slackware and started with Gentoo which was my primary system until 2012.

Unfortunately since 2012 I gave up using Linux on may everyday pc and switched to win8 and later to win10.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

CiniO wrote: »
    I first seen Linux in 1997 when I started secondary school as my school had a Linux server and we used DOS telnet client on pc class lab workstations to log into and check your emails with pine download files with FTP or chat using IRC. That was slackware 3.4 with 2.0.30 afair.

I liked it so much that in January 1998 I installed Monkey Linux on my own pc. That was very basic distro where whole root filesystem was in directory on DOS partition and using UMSDOS filesystem kernel managed to mount it.
    Played with it for a week or two and the installed red hat 5.
    Then since mid 1998 I sticked with Slackware on my pc and pretty much completely abandoned Windows for many years to come.
    Again in 2004 I gave up slackware and started with Gentoo which was my primary system until 2012.

Unfortunately since 2012 I gave up using Linux on may everyday pc and switched to win8 and later to win10.
    Slackware and and then onto Gentoo? You really know your stuff there, CiniO. It's unfortunate that you left Linux for Windows. Maybe you'll return someday?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Mandrake linux around 2001

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

Slackware 1.1 - and as I remember it there were a lot more than 10 floppies!
    1995 or 1996 probably. skrynesaver was there too!

We got our hands on a box of CDs that included yggdrasil linux, slackware and a very early debian as well as a snapshot of some ftp servers full of goodies and a full mirror of the Linux Documentation Project.
    Considering our modem (Cornell - the friendly modem) connected at 2.4kbit this was a real find!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Knoppix I got a free CD with a book.
    Knoppix is just for playing, testing and as an utility CD.

First proper install was Lubuntu to replace Windows XP on an old computer.

• Advertisement

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Knoppix I got a free CD with a book.
    Knoppix is just for playing, testing and as an utility CD.

First proper install was Lubuntu to replace Windows XP on an old computer.

Hi Keplar240B. KNOPPIX was the first distro I tried - as a Live CD. It felt so alien after being so used to M$ Windows. It took a while later before I tried Linux again and eventually installed Ubuntu and am so glad to have entered the world of GNU/Linux and left behind all the restrictions, licenses, keys, and other proprietary nonsense.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi Keplar240B. KNOPPIX was the first distro I tried - as a Live CD. It felt so alien after being so used to M$ Windows. It took a while later before I tried Linux again and eventually installed Ubuntu and am so glad to have entered the world of GNU/Linux and left behind all the restrictions, licenses, keys, and other proprietary nonsense.

There's also the lack of crapware, adware and malware. Don't get me wrong, it's not immune but for most users, you would need to go out of your way to install anything dodgy.

If you're doing anything dodgy and need to visit dodgy sites, linux is the way to go. It's like a virtual condom.

There's also the lack of crapware, adware and malware. Don't get me wrong, it's not immune but for most users, you would need to go out of your way to install anything dodgy.

If you're doing anything dodgy and need to visit dodgy sites, linux is the way to go. It's like a virtual condom.

Hi mcmoustache. Yep, I can't believe people put up with the likes of Windows 10 - a bloated piece of giant spyware. 'virtual condom' you say - I think that needs to be added to Urban Dictionary. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Mine was Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn in 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Slackware and and then onto Gentoo? You really know your stuff there, CiniO. It's unfortunate that you left Linux for Windows. Maybe you'll return someday?

Maybe.
    Fact is, that in 1998 Windows 95 and freshly released Windows 98 were extremely unreliable and unstable.
    Constant blue-screens. Uncontrollable behaviour. Unefficient use of hardware. Very poor system design in general. In my eyes then it was hardly usable, and uncomparable with nearly 100% reliablility and stability of linux.
    Windows Me was even worse.
    Windows 2000 as based on NT was bit better, but lacked support for multimedia and games.
    Then XP while big technological advance, was still very unstable system and cursed with crazy amount of viruses, malware, etc...
    I didn't even try Win7 even though people were saying it was good.

But the fact is, that around 2012 I started getting bit tired with Gentoo, as nearly every package update meant problems with compilation. Some packages wouldn't compile with certain USE flags, some wouldn't with certain gcc options. In general having relatively up to date system, running fast optimised and customised as much as I wanted it to be, cost me crazy amount of time for simple solving problems of packages not compiling which I had to spend so much time get it all going.
    This in short gave me an idea to try Win8 while it was released.
    And to my surprise, I found a system which was running stable and fast.
    Unusual user interface which most people were complaining about was not an issue for me, as I wasn't used to earlier windows UIs anyway.
    Then Win10 turned out even better.

Don't get me wrong. I know Windows is a commercial product. I know Microsoft is spying on us.
    But fact is that in todays world using Windows on day-to-day PC is reasonable . It is stable, reliable and provides very good performance which beats linux abilities in many ways. Yes - of course it's not perfect, and its filled with spying mechanisms, but works out of the box and works very well.

These days I see Linux more as a server system (which it always was great for) but unfortunately less of a workstation system as it used to be even 10 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I don't quite grasp the comparison ......
    you got fed up with all the compiling and problems to be overcome in the version of Linux you were using at the time and moved to Windows but no mention of trying a different distro where you would effectively be spoonfed like in Windows, while having the facility to add your own 'thing' if you felt like it.

Seems strange to me is all.
    But I ain't no guru ..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Some Debian release in the late 90s. Version 2 or 3, can't remember. I must revisit it, been all Redhat/Fedora since then.

@CiniO The update issues and spying in Windows 10 is beyond a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

@CiniO The update issues and spying in Windows 10 is beyond a joke.

I've got Win10 installed on my gaming PC purely for gaming reasons and have actually turned off updates altogether since version 1803. You just get tired of "Update failed" and "unable to apply updates" messages, then getting stuck in endless boot loops.

Never mind it continuously and shamelessly overwriting my dual boot setup.

Awful awful system and wish I could get shot of it completely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

CiniO wrote: »
    These days I see Linux more as a server system (which it always was great for) but unfortunately less of a workstation system as it used to be even 10 years ago.

Have to disagree here completely.
    There's never been a better era for using Linux on the desktop.
    I'm a (was) a windows man since win3.1 but the complete update/spy shambles in Win10 has finally forced me off my arse into Linux and I'm there now on server and desktop. Easy as falling off a bike :)

IMO there has never been a more inclusive time for moving to Linux for desktop users.
    Most distros are literally point and click (though I am really enjoying using terminal for most admin tasks)

On topic - my first try was about 15 years ago, Fedora. Couldn't understand it.
    My first real try was a month ago, Debian <--the dogs b*llocks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

New Debian release.
    Will this be rolled into a release for Ubuntu?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Have to disagree here completely.
    There's never been a better era for using Linux on the desktop.
    I'm a (was) a windows man since win3.1 but the complete update/spy shambles in Win10 has finally forced me off my arse into Linux and I'm there now on server and desktop. Easy as falling off a bike :)

IMO there has never been a more inclusive time for moving to Linux for desktop users.
    Most distros are literally point and click (though I am really enjoying using terminal for most admin tasks)

On topic - my first try was about 15 years ago, Fedora. Couldn't understand it.
    My first real try was a month ago, Debian <--the dogs b*llocks.

I've actually spent this evening getting some Windows/Mac games going on my Fedora box and had great success. Considering removing my Win10 partition now as I really don't need it anymore. Fedora 30 is a fantastic release. As you said, I also think its a fantastic time for desktop Linux users.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    As you said, I also think its a fantastic time for desktop Linux users.

OT, but I'd like to see Linux as the default install on public sector machines. It could really cut down on licensing costs. Especially in these days when so many LOB apps are browser based.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    New Debian release.
    Will this be rolled into a release for Ubuntu?
    Hi igCorcaigh. I don't quite understand the question. Do you mean will Ubuntu be based on Buster? AFAIK, Ubuntu get's based on Debian Testing (Buster is the stable branch).

OT, but I'd like to see Linux as the default install on public sector machines. It could really cut down on licensing costs. Especially in these days when so many LOB apps are browser based.
    It'd make sense but alas M$ has long since cemented their monopoly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It'd make sense but alas M$ has long since cemented their monopoly.

It's not just a case of monopoly, there are many other factors.

(going OT here, but I think it is relevant, maybe split off into a new thread?)

I have tried over the years to use Linux as a desktop replacement for Windows in the office, with very little success.

It's all good and well using it in a home environment, it works well, but try using Linux on the desktop in a corporate environment. You have multiple factors to consider - legacy apps, hardware, software interoperability, file sharing and the spawn of the demon, printing. And possibly the biggest factor of all is training. You can get your desktop support staff no problem, all MS certified, but try getting any of them with experience of Linux on the desktop in a corporate environment. It's all good an well with your secure, shiny new Linux desktop, but when (not if) something goes wrong, the old reboot won't always work.

The bottom line is, unless you are limited to web-based apps, with little or no need for esoteric exercises such as scanning and printing, legacy apps and bespoke apps then you are fine. Otherwise, Linux on the desktop in a corporate environment still isn't there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    It's not just a case of monopoly, there are many other factors.

(going OT here, but I think it is relevant, maybe split off into a new thread?)

I have tried over the years to use Linux as a desktop replacement for Windows in the office, with very little success.

It's all good and well using it in a home environment, it works well, but try using Linux on the desktop in a corporate environment. You have multiple factors to consider - legacy apps, hardware, software interoperability, file sharing and the spawn of the demon, printing. And possibly the biggest factor of all is training. You can get your desktop support staff no problem, all MS certified, but try getting any of them with experience of Linux on the desktop in a corporate environment. It's all good an well with your secure, shiny new Linux desktop, but when (not if) something goes wrong, the old reboot won't always work.

The bottom line is, unless you are limited to web-based apps, with little or no need for esoteric exercises such as scanning and printing, legacy apps and bespoke apps then you are fine. Otherwise, Linux on the desktop in a corporate environment still isn't there yet.

Good points there, I never successfully printed anything using Linux and that's with a printer that has a Linux driver available!!! Never managed to map my network drive either...

Venezuela attempted this back in the 2000's

https://venezuelanalysis.com/news/827

(getting very OT...)

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Good points there, I never successfully printed anything using Linux and that's with a printer that has a Linux driver available!!! Never managed to map my network drive either...

Getting a network drive mapped is usually straight forward. Managing and working with files, in my experience, was a nightmare.

Venezuela attempted this back in the 2000's

https://venezuelanalysis.com/news/827

(getting very OT...)

Sadly, there are many examples. I think Munich was one of the highest profile flops. https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/08/linux-on-the-desktop-pioneer-munich-now-considering-a-switch-back-to-windows/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

Tom Dunne wrote: »

It was far from a flop from what I recall at the time.
    It started as an attempt to deal with an absolute IT disaster that already existed in the city and it made a lot of progress. They were starting as microsoft was winding down support for NT and Office 2003. Lots of people were watching closely.

There was a change of city mayor in 2014 which has had a lot to do with the change back.
    The wikipedia page for LiMux has a good timeline of what happened.
    Even the new mayor's report found that a lot of the compatibility problems could have been fixed by swapping openoffice for libreoffice instead of needing an OS change. The costs of continuing to support linux as well as windows systems was the biggest issue in the end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LiMux

Munich deputy mayor, Josef Schmid, and mayor, Dieter Reiter, considering going back to Windows due to productivity problems.
    Munich city council spokesman Stefan Hauf explained that the majority of issues stem from compatibility issues in OpenOffice, something a switch to LibreOffice could solve.

In addition, the city council and Karl-Heinz Schneider, head of municipal IT services, said that most things are fine, they saved €10 million (more than US$13 million), and there is no serious reason to come back. He added that the number of complaints and malfunctions would not exceed the usual number for an administration of this size.

Microsoft wants to move German headquarters to Munich in 2016, helped by Reiter who describes himself as a "Microsoft fan"

niallb wrote: »
    It was far from a flop from what I recall at the time.
    It started as an attempt to deal with an absolute IT disaster that already existed in the city and it made a lot of progress. They were starting as microsoft was winding down support for NT and Office 2003. Lots of people were watching closely.

There was a change of city mayor in 2014 which has had a lot to do with the change back.
    The wikipedia page for LiMux has a good timeline of what happened.
    Even the new mayor's report found that a lot of the compatibility problems could have been fixed by swapping openoffice for libreoffice instead of needing an OS change. The costs of continuing to support linux as well as windows systems was the biggest issue in the end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LiMux

That's the impression I get from actually reading the comments (interesting read)
    To hold Munich up as an example of pure Linux disaster and proof that it can never happen is disingenuous at best!

Also, today is a completely different scenario.

CoBo55 wrote: »

I must be blessed with my 20 quid Canon printer/scanner so.

As I recall the Munich situation, it was progressing fairly well, and MS were making all sorts of offers and advances to get it stopped/reversed.

Then there was a change of politicians, and shortly thereafter MS announced a huge investment in the area and the reversal to MS products began.

I do not remember details clearly, but am sure the 'internet' hasn't forgotten! :)

I know what my reading of those events was at the time and I have read nothing since to change my mind.

Classic case of it here at home today. :D

I have Linux on the laptop for herself, she wanted to a bit of printing and scanning. After about an hour of fiddling and whole range of very colourful expletives I gave up, stuck a memory stick into the laptop and got her to do everything on my Windows laptop.

Task was then completed in 5 minutes.

• Advertisement

I have had various printers working properly in Linux for many years ....... last one I recall that I had a problem with was a Canon i40/i30/i?? or some model like that (too long ago to remember or care).
    Since then I have used various HP printers, both USB connected and wireless and presently have three printers working ...
    HP Deskjet wireless, used mostly for scanning now
    Dell Laser
    Samsung Laser

I really have no idea why people have problems other than their chosen distro does not make it simple to set up supported printers.

It certainly is not a Linux problem from all reports I have read, and my personal experience.

Advertisement