Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

May 2016 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

wuffly wrote: »
    I've been loitering around this thread for the last few weeks. This is my third pregnancy and hopefully first baby. Had a scan on Sunday, about 9 weeks along and all looking good so far. Looking forward to the 12 week scan and hopefully get over the anxiety and start enjoying it! Been feeling pretty rough for the last month nausea/retching/puking nothing seems to help but glad to have symptoms at the same time!

Huge congrats Wuffly. Hopefully we all start to feel a little better in the next few weeks. 1st trimester almost over :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Haven't got that far yet but definitely at the chubbier end of my wardrobe! Generally wear loose stuff at work so hopefully can hide it for as long as possible. I have no idea how they are going to react as my boss loves to remind me 'if you don't need someone for that long you don't need them':eek: standard mat leave her is 45 days (calendar days so about 6 weeks)

Are you in the States? It's 26 weeks in Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Lucuma wrote: »
    Are you in the States? It's 26 weeks in Ireland!

No, I'm in Dubai. I'm not really sure how its going to go. My OH is starting a business at the moment and doing some contract work so our income is a bit all over the place. I would be hoping to be able to take some unpaid leave but I don't know if they will be open to it and how the finances will be! The longer I can hold out telling them the more of an idea I will have of what we can manage. Then there is childcare dilemma...! We haven't even really discussed it ourselves as we don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves.

Wow can't imagine having to go back to work after 6 weeks. I work with some colleagues in NA and there leave is so small compared to our in Ireland. Makes me very grateful. Best of luck wuffly, I'm sure you guys will figure out a plan!

I am self employed and I went back to work when dd was 10 weeks Wuffly, it went fine. You gotta do what you gotta do! I think it has made dd very independent and she never makes strange with people, she's very sociable

Thanks Lucuma, good to know, I will have annual leave built up so hopefully I can at least bring it up to 10 weeks. I guess I would just like to be able to take more time if I feel I need it and childcare would be an issue as we don't want a nanny and nursery would be out of the budget if the business isn't drawing enough in. OH would be great but it I don't think the business and stay at home parent would work. We'll just have to see how it goes. At the minute I'm just hoping to not get fired! The law is a bit woolly here to say the least. I work in oil and gas and there have been lay offs all over the place which we have managed to avoid so far, so it would be easy for them to just let me go. My boss doesn't cope well without someone to run to for info I've never had a holiday/weekend where I haven't been contacted for something. In saying that they have done a lot to keep me in the company since i joined in terms of salary and promotion so I am hoping they still feel like that! Its crossed our minds to just feck off home :) Overthink a situation much lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭cinloom

I am lucky enought to be able to take the 6 months maternity leaves. But yesterday my husband realize that the childcare cost are very high and was wondering how we will be able to afford it . Anyway we will sort that out later ... lot of people manage it so why wouldnt we ? :-)

Does anyone have their appointment with hospital sorted ? My doc told me she would take care of that but still have no news .
    I will be 12 weeks this week end. Cant wait to have this stage over

I had my first appointment yesterday, saw the baby, bawled my eyes out (early scan doesn't count coz it doesn't look like a baby then!) everything is rosey in the garden and my dates have been brought forward so I'm 12 weeks today !!! The first trimester is OVER !!!!!!!!!!! Yip-a-dee-do-da, Yip-a-dee-yay

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

I had my first appointment yesterday, saw the baby, bawled my eyes out (early scan doesn't count coz it doesn't look like a baby then!) everything is rosey in the garden and my dates have been brought forward so I'm 12 weeks today !!! The first trimester is OVER !!!!!!!!!!! Yip-a-dee-do-da, Yip-a-dee-yay

Delighted for you Lucuma! How many weeks did you think you were?
    I'm hoping they'll tell me I'm further along too but I have a feeling it's wishful thinking on my part!

• Advertisement

teggers5 wrote: »
    Delighted for you Lucuma! How many weeks did you think you were?
    I'm hoping they'll tell me I'm further along too but I have a feeling it's wishful thinking on my part!

I went in there 11w + 3d, I came out of there 11w +6d :P:P:P
    So thought I had to wait til Sunday to tell people but have spent the morning telling people!!!!

cinloom wrote: »

Does anyone have their appointment with hospital sorted ? My doc told me she would take care of that but still have no news .
    I will be 12 weeks this week end. Cant wait to have this stage over

I'm still waiting too cinloom. My Dr sent a letter to the hospital and said I'd hear back from them closer to when I'm between 12 and 14 weeks. I'm almost 10 weeks now. I'm just dying to have my first scan and see bubba!

Huge congrats Lucuma, wow I wish that had happened at my appointment but I am 2 weeks away from 12 weeks. I cried at my scan too, such an unreal experience. Enjoy the second trimester, can't wait to join you.

teggers5 wrote: »
    I'm still waiting too cinloom. My Dr sent a letter to the hospital and said I'd hear back from them closer to when I'm between 12 and 14 weeks. I'm almost 10 weeks now. I'm just dying to have my first scan and see bubba!

Would you do a private scan Teggers? I know they cost but it might give you some reassurance. The waiting game is the worst. I have my 12 week scan tomorrow 2 weeks, it can't come fast enough!

Kathy22 wrote: »
    Would you do a private scan Teggers? I know they cost but it might give you some reassurance. The waiting game is the worst. I have my 12 week scan tomorrow 2 weeks, it can't come fast enough!

My impatience got the better of me and I rang the hospital.
    I have my appointment for the 9th November. I'm a little more relaxed now that I know it's less than 4 weeks away!

i rang the secretary of my doc she says i should hear from the coombe shortly but didnt say how shortly it would be... one week two weeks ...

• Advertisement

That's headwrecking not knowing the date of your appointments! At least once you know you can start breaking time down into little blocks and ticking them off....

God that's a pain cinloom. Hopefully you'll hear soon!
    Did you try ringing the Coombe directly?

. I cried at my scan too, such an unreal experience.

Chalk it down !!!
    Honestly when I came out and was driving home, my heart was singing !!!
    If you could bottle that moment when you first clap eyes on your baby (let's face it at early scan it looks like a blob) and it actually looks like a baby......oh my god there are no words :):):):):):):):)

called the secretary doc i was supposed to have a scan this morning :-( never received their letter ....

called the secretary doc i was supposed to have a scan this morning :-( never received their letter ....

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

How soon can they reschedule?

• Advertisement

Oh no!!! You must be fuming! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Who was meant to send you the letter? The Coombe and yet they sent it to your GP?

Either way, its bad form and hopefully they'll get you in for another scan ASAP

It was the coombe that was suppose to sent it on monday or tuesday for an appointment on thursday ...
    the nuchal scan is schedule for the 27 then

At least that's only 10 days away cinloom. They should really inform you by text or email as well as sending out a letter, especially if the letters don't get there on time

That is so annoying Cinloom! Can't believe there isn't a better system for informing patients of appointments! Best of luck with it, it will fly around to the 27th. I've my 12 week on the 31st can't wait to see baby again, I don't Think it registered with me at all the last day, I was just so thrilled they were still there.
    I've had to tell my team I have a virus, they are so kind telling me I look awful:eek: I have broken out in horrendous acne so the constant 'whats wrong with your face?' is wrecking my head!

That is so annoying Cinloom! Can't believe there isn't a better system for informing patients of appointments! Best of luck with it, it will fly around to the 27th. I've my 12 week on the 31st can't wait to see baby again, I don't Think it registered with me at all the last day, I was just so thrilled they were still there.
    I've had to tell my team I have a virus, they are so kind telling me I look awful:eek: I have broken out in horrendous acne so the constant 'whats wrong with your face?' is wrecking my head!

Sorry to hear wuffly, my skin has been really dry of late and I have dandruff which I havent had in years. Not sure if its pregnancy related but it seems to do weird things to peoples skin.I remember my friend got thicker hair when pregnant - wish that would happen to me ... LOL! Best of luck at your scan, mine is the day before on the 30th. I wish I could fast forward to then, dying to go to it!

Best of luck with your scan Kathy22, i am wishing the time away! Not in a rush to tell anyone but I am a useless liar and have dodge so many things at the moment. 12 weeks of hiding it seems easy until you actually have to do it yourself!
    I don't know what's going on with my skin, feel a bit like I am falling apart, hopefully it will resolve on its own, tried a few different brands of cleansers/moisturizer looks like its clearing up then gets worse than before. Have you tried Head & Shoulders for dandruff my OH can't use anything else and it keeps it well in check, he is like a snow machine if we go on hols and don't bring it!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bluebell27

Hi ladies. Congratulations to you all. I am due start of May, first baby so is exciting/terrifying! We had a scan yesterday at 12.5 weeks. We had had earlier ones and the difference in this one was unreal. Looked like we were getting a wave and definitely looks more baby and less blob like. We have told everyone now which makes it seem so much more real. Funny to be posting here after being in the 2015 brides earlier in the year! Wishing you all a healthy 9 months.

Best of luck with your scan Kathy22, i am wishing the time away! Not in a rush to tell anyone but I am a useless liar and have dodge so many things at the moment. 12 weeks of hiding it seems easy until you actually have to do it yourself!
    I don't know what's going on with my skin, feel a bit like I am falling apart, hopefully it will resolve on its own, tried a few different brands of cleansers/moisturizer looks like its clearing up then gets worse than before. Have you tried Head & Shoulders for dandruff my OH can't use anything else and it keeps it well in check, he is like a snow machine if we go on hols and don't bring it!

I have tried head and shoulders and I am lathering up on moistuiser, my skin is so dry!! My friend recommended the Burt's Bees mama bee range especially the oil.

Best of luck for your scan this week, this time tomorrow we will be in the middle of it. Can't wait :D

bluebell27 wrote: »
    Hi ladies. Congratulations to you all. I am due start of May, first baby so is exciting/terrifying! We had a scan yesterday at 12.5 weeks. We had had earlier ones and the difference in this one was unreal. Looked like we were getting a wave and definitely looks more baby and less blob like. We have told everyone now which makes it seem so much more real. Funny to be posting here after being in the 2015 brides earlier in the year! Wishing you all a healthy 9 months.

Huge congrats bluebell and welcome to the thread. Hopefully soon we will all have had our scans and can feel more confident with everything :)

• Advertisement

Congratulations bluebell, got my scan tuesday, Baby is growing nicely :-)

Congrats bluebell!! Cinloom glad your scan went well. Best of luck tomorrow Kathy! Can't wait until Saturday! I'll check out the burts bees stuff, today i got asked if I had shingles! My faces feels like a crocodiles ass!!

bluebell27 wrote: »

Bluebell I was on 2015 brides as well, congrats! Wedding has been long forgotten now Bleurgh.........(I'm suffering awful nausea) :( although I do find myself daydreaming about what it was like to drink til 5am ....

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bluebell27

Thanks for the welcome ladies! Glad to hear other scans have gone well too. Kathy hope all is good at yours next week, you are on the final count down now. Feel so sorry for those of you that you are sick. I have been incredibly lucky and have had no sickness, only the insane tiredness. Hope the sickness fades for you all soon as we get in to second trimester!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭McBubbles

I've been missing for a long while now. Congratulations everyone. Wishing you all healthy pregnancies.

Sadly I'm bowing out. After 6 weeks of horrific morning sickness I miscarried at 11 weeks :(

Good luck to all of you x

McBubbles I'm so sorry for your loss, I've been there and I know there is nothing anyone can say. I hope you are being looked after, be kind to yourself. If you do want to talk feel free to pm me xx

So sorry to hear that McBubbles :( Xx

oh no sorry for you loss McBubbles

McBubbles so sorry to hear, I cannot even begin to imagine how you feel. Take some time to look after yourself, thoughts with you.

• Advertisement

McBubbles I'm so sorry for your loss :-( And you would think morning sickness implies high levels of pregnancy hormones, just goes to show that idea is a false friend :-( I've seen that happen on here before where the person who started the thread had an mc and I thought it must be hard for them to see that thread Always with the month, year that their baby should have been born and their name next to it. If you want me to start a new May 2016 thread so you're spared that let me know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

So sorry to hear that mcbubbles.

How is everyone getting on? We had a bit of a scare last night, I had bad pains that became unbearable so went to A&E. After what seemed like an eternity I got to see a doctor. Baby is fine. I sobbed my heart out. Turns out its constipation and trapped wind. The pain was and still is horrible but will go away I'm told once it calms down. As long as baby is OK I don't really care about the pain. Hope everyone else is getting on OK. Delighted to now be in the second trimester.

That's so scary Kathy, glad all is ok. Terrifying when you don't know whats going on.
    All well here, jumped up to 13w4d at the 12wk scan so 15 weeks now. Very relieved to be in the 2nd trimester, still sick and tired though. Starting to feel real now we've told people! Finally told work, waiting to see what they offer mat leave wise.

That's so scary Kathy, glad all is ok. Terrifying when you don't know whats going on.
    All well here, jumped up to 13w4d at the 12wk scan so 15 weeks now. Very relieved to be in the 2nd trimester, still sick and tired though. Starting to feel real now we've told people! Finally told work, waiting to see what they offer mat leave wise.

Thanks Wuffly. I was so emotional when he had the baby on screen, I almost couldn't believe it and I cannot believe constipation can cause this level of pain. I still have it and really hoping it just sorts itself out. The staff in the Rotunda though were so nice, very understanding. I love telling people and seeing their reaction, I told my cousin over lunch and she cried which made me cry LOL! How is you skin doing? I still have dry skin but am using all kinds of potions and solutions to try and solve it.

How is everyone getting on? We had a bit of a scare last night, I had bad pains that became unbearable so went to A&E. After what seemed like an eternity I got to see a doctor. Baby is fine. I sobbed my heart out. Turns out its constipation and trapped wind. The pain was and still is horrible but will go away I'm told once it calms down. As long as baby is OK I don't really care about the pain. Hope everyone else is getting on OK. Delighted to now be in the second trimester.

Wow that's crazy A&E for constipation pain! I have had awful gastro-intestinal issues myself up til week 15 (so only out of the Woods now about 1 week) it was a loooooong 15 weeks of hell. The pain in my stomach kept me awake at night alot or I'd have a pain in my stomach at various stages of digestion during the day. The only reason I knew it was my stomach I think is coz I've been through labour (sans epidural) so I know what my womb hurting feels like as opposed to my stomach. I knew it was my stomach.

• Advertisement

Did you go to the GP over there about the morning sickness wuffly? I'm also outside Ireland and was surprised to learn that there was a tablet the GP was able to give me no bother. Just coz they don't give em in Ireland doesn't mean they aren't approved to do so in other countries. Defo worth checking with your local GP.

I'm suffering from broken sleep at the mo.....it's a real pain. I seem to be getting enough dribs and drabs to keep me going though and get through the day in work. I didn't think it was possible to toss & turn that much in one night though....if I was hooked up to a generator I definitey could have saved us something on our elec bill this month :-)
    Thinking of investing in the fancy dream genie pillow.....instead of relying on my 10 euro Lidl/Aldi one from last time.....although if anyone sees them on offer please notify us ASAP!!

Wow that's crazy A&E for constipation pain! I have had awful gastro-intestinal issues myself up til week 15 (so only out of the Woods now about 1 week) it was a loooooong 15 weeks of hell. The pain in my stomach kept me awake at night alot or I'd have a pain in my stomach at various stages of digestion during the day. The only reason I knew it was my stomach I think is coz I've been through labour (sans epidural) so I know what my womb hurting feels like as opposed to my stomach. I knew it was my stomach.

I know! The pain was enough to make me double over and I couldn't stand straight. I think I just thought the worst and would never have been able to ride it out. I am a constant worrier although I have a pretty high pain threshold but this was a horrible, like my insides wanted to come out. I think this might be something I have throughout the pregnancy, I just have a feeling so I am glad I know now what the pain feels like so I can ride it out the next time it happens. They gave me lactulose and now 3 doses later it is finally kicking in. Slight bit of relief. I think what you mention above is interesting, I definitely struggled to identify the pain area and just thought the worst because it was in that general area. Sorry to hear about gastro-intestinal issues, its such an uncomfortable thing to have! :( It will be all worth it in the end :)

They gave me lactulose and now 3 doses later it is finally kicking in. Slight bit of relief. I think what you mention above is interesting, I definitely struggled to identify the pain area and just thought the worst because it was in that general area. Sorry to hear about gastro-intestinal issues, its such an uncomfortable thing to have! :( It will be all worth it in the end :)

Oh good. I have a jumbo bottle of Duphalac at home since my last baby (for some reason vaginal labour also causes constipation for a few weeks afterwards not nice when you have stiches in the area!) and I took a few swigs alright there during the 1st trim. At least it tastes nice!

Speaking of being able to tell the area, I only learned that through experience....... Last time late in the 3rd trim I got food poisoning from something and had awful stomach cramps all night one night. It passed in 24 hours like these things do. Couldn't figure out what caused it but I suspect it was a runny friend egg (I know I was very bold...) Anyway the night of day 40+2 I went to bed then started getting the same kind of cramps, the food poisoning cramps, at midnight. I ay there thinking 'what the feck did I eat this time?'. This was going on an hour when I thought to myself ....I wonder if I should time these?! I downloaded an app for timing contractions there and then, and sure enough the ''food poisoning cramps'' were coming every 15 mins or so! I went on my ''Due in...'' FB group then in the middle of the night (thankfully one or two were online!) to ask if labour feels like a stomach cramp. My book said that a contraction begins at the top of your bump and travels all the way down, but these were only at the base of my bump, where your stomach is. Anyway one Mama replied within minutes to say her contractions were only at the base of her bump and another replied to say her contractions had felt like stomach cramps then it dawned on me hmmm this is labour! :eek::eek: I still didn't fully believe it til I had a show as well!

Kathy I hope you are feeling better soon. Sounds awful! So far the reaction is mostly completely shocked followed by a few tears. Especially from the guys that know about the miscarriages. My skin is still like a croc's ass but I think it is slowly getting better.
    Lucuma my GP is sailing around the Uk at the moment on her hols, lucky so and so! I've had so many dodgy dr experiences here I don't trust anyone else! I'm seeing my obs/gyn next week and will say it to her. I've never heard of those pillows just googled it, want one! Hope you get some proper rest soon. I love my sleep don't know how I'll cope with broke sleep once the little one arrives!
    Are you supposed to sleep on your side from now on?

Are you supposed to sleep on your side from now on?

Yes and on our left side if you don't mind!
    My app (so it must be true!!) said these are the best positions for sleeping:
    1. On our left side
    2. On our right side or tummy (as long as tummy is comfy)

On our back is bad coz the foetus is lying on one of the main arteries that brings blood up and down our body and could cause issues down the line. On our left is the best position for all the arteries etc. Right is ok but not as good as left. And re sleeping on tummy it said the foetus is protected inside its little bubble of amniotic fluid but it might not be comfy for the Mum for that much longer to sleep this way. Prob still comfy enough now though?!

• Advertisement
Advertisement