Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giving up working at 50

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Valyawl wrote: »
    How could you remain on welfare from 50-65 surely they wouldn't pay you for that long? Maybe I am being naive. !!

Theres a certain irish ethnic group are all on it from 18 to the grave and no welfare person bothers them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

I enjoy my work and have a healthy work life balance.

I had it in my head to stay working until I'm 70. However that's changed recently and I'm now preparing to stop working in my early 60s.

Mortgage will be cleared, family grown up and a decent pension pot built up. I'll still be young enough to enjoy retirement and enjoy working life before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Im 39 and can retire with a modest pension by the end of the year but I am heavily considering a career change instead.

All going as planned, I will be working for one company full time, part time for another and consulting as a nixer, all done from home. No commute, stress free, easy money. The full time gig and the pension brings me to a 6 figure salary alone.

The plan will be to do that until Im 50. The wife is self employed and plans to sell the business or shut up shop when she hits 50.

Then its travel the world for a few years and enjoy life as long as we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭eddie

upupup wrote: »
    I lost my job in my early 40's after the constuction industry collapsed.I owned my own house,had no debts and a little saved so I decided to chill out for a few years till there was work again.
    I haven't worked since and life is relaxed and the way it should but not everyone can live this way.My car got smaller due to tax and insurance,my skysports and other non essentials/bills disappeared.No holidays but everyday is a holiday!:)

My savings dwindled down to zero but it happened gradually so I was well prepared to have nothing and when I did have nothing and was still happy I became even happier as the worry was gone.
    I had to communicate with some welfare people/projects but when life is good and relaxed these were not a problem and I did them and enjoyed them,they ended and I got back to my early retirement again.
    I figured out some very deep stuff too.Stuff happens when you get out of the rat race and focus on your own happiness 24hrs a day,7 days a week.
    "Everything" falls into place if you let go of "Everything"

Did it ever dawn on you - who is paying for your "chilling" !!.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭eddie

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Extreme Frugal Minimalists Plan to Retire by Age 35!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20rMBoMK9j0

If I didn't drink the money I would have :pac:

Anyway it's funny how some folks are like I don't work I'm on the dole and there is rage and others are like I 'retired' early and am on the dole and everyone is like yay! Welldone!

If I'm ever unemployed again I'll just tell people I'm temporarily retired, less stigma.

No everyone that pays for it ................ is like Yay.. !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Bring in a universal basic income.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭griffin100

I’ll be 50 in a couple of years and my kids will still all be under 18 at that stage. The last few months of WFH has confirmed for me that retirement when the kids are still young is not an enticing prospect.

By the time I’m 60 they’ll all be in their 20’s and hopefully finished college, so that’s early enough for me to retire. I plan to have the mortgage paid off by then. I have a PS job and am lucky enough to be on the old style pension - I started in 2006 but due to a year I spent in the public sector in the late 1990s I am in the better scheme. I know exactly what my pension and lump sum will be when I hit 60 and it should be enough to retire on and possibly move abroad. The big uncertainty for us is that my wife is self employed and her business has been hit badly by Covid.

I like my job and I’m senior enough that I can happily think about another 12 years or so working. I really don’t want to work beyond 60 though, life can be too short. If I’m stuck financially there’s always consultancy that can be done.

Plans are easy to make, but we never know what’s around the corner so I won’t be wishing the next few years away counting down to retirement like some people I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Got myself out of the rat race at 42 years of age. Now drive a coach part time as have the mortgage paid off. We spend 3 months of the year in south of Spain in wife's brothers apartment complete with swimming pool although we haven't been over this year due to Covid. I'm not money rich but i am time rich and that is invaluable to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Bring in a universal basic income.

This will happen sooner than we all think. Hopefully the days of people killing themselves working 50hrs a week will vanish also. I can see 4 day weeks being the norm in a couple of years also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

mad m wrote: »
    I’ve seen many people retired after working for 40 years and after a year or two I’ve heard they have got cancer, died from Covid etc. Brother in law in US was working for same Pharma company for 27 years, he is now 54 and got offered severance package and grabbed it with both hands. It was his last day today and happy as a fool.

He’s been offered 4 jobs already but is going to take a year out....If you can get out early get out in my opinion.
    My dad didn't last a year into his retirement, died of cancer. Yeah you don't know how long you have, or how long your loved ones have. Mam died 2 months ago.
    If you spend your time being "busy" you can miss important things and not contemplate what is important to you.

I hope to retire ~55, I hope my wife retires before me. I hate watching stress consume her health. Might be good to keep some part time work just to keep in with private health insurance. Retiring at 55 is assuming I pay my mortgage off soon and continue building pension pot and savings
    we have an option to live abroad rent free at the moment, that might be an option and rent out our own place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Sky King wrote: »
    Wow that sounds great, I'd love to let go of everything. Do you mind if I ask where your income for your amazing 'early retirement' is coming from, given that you have no savings, and apparently are answerable to Welfare?

I guess I just want to know if myself and the other people here who have jobs are funding this wonderful lifestyle of yours.

I'm on welfare and if you are a taxpayer,thank you for your contributions and thanks to all the taxpayers.I appreciate it.

I got my first job at 11 and worked and payed tax for over 30 years.If someone complains about my life now and has not worked for as long as I have,I pay no heed to them.If someone has worked for longer than me and is complaining then I pay no heed to them as I regard them as a grumpy old sod that should have figured things out after all that time spent working...What are you here for?:confused:

I contribute to society in other ways that are better off left out of the rat race,wages and taxes.I have been busier since covid arrived.I have many skills that I give but to put me on a time sheet would take the real "me" out of what I do as it would be just another job to get bored of.I am retired early but the majority of people I meet these days are retired.Some are close to 90 years age and its not money contributions they want,Its stuff that can not be bought that they want and need.

Not everyone can "let go of Everything" and retire early but if anyone thinks they can,Do it before it's too late!

eddie wrote: »
    Did it ever dawn on you - who is paying for your "chilling" !!.

I know exactly who is paying and thank you if you are:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Welfare is there to help people until they get back on their feet and find work.

If someone is on it because they couldn't be arsed to work they are a leech.

Welfare is there to help people until they get back on their feet and find work.

If someone is on it because they couldn't be arsed to work they are a leech.

Your anger is taking this thread off topic.
    My advice is "let go";) of your anger and resentment towards those that are happier than you.Stop giving out and put your attention on something you like.If you like leeches then I suppose you are fine:)

Your anger is taking this thread off topic.
    My advice is "let go";) of your anger and resentment towards those that are happier than you.Stop giving out and put your attention on something you like.If you like leeches then I suppose you are fine:)

Of course you are happy sitting on your arse doing nothing while claiming welfare.

Not sure how you are getting away with it up to now but but it just proves how easy it is to game the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,615 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If someone 40 or 50 feels burdened or oppressed by having to work there is some other issue going on besides just wanting to chill.

I do think with getting older working part-time or even dropping one day a week and doing a 4 day week is a good idea.

There should be a transition to retirement.

Not everyone can "let go of Everything" and retire early but if anyone thinks they can,Do it before it's too late!

correct, because then there would be no one paying tax for you sponges to live on.

Money that could be going towards hospitals, schools, medical research, hospices and a hundred other worthy projects that are there for those that need them.

But then I ask myself, why feed the troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

If a 55 or 60 year old goes on the dole they have paid IN a lot of the tax they're getting back. Let's not be too harsh here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I'm done working at 50, current pension projection at age 50 is just fine for me and a 4% drawdown should see me into old age.

I want to spend my time ideally working in a charity shop or similar volunteering

If a 55 or 60 year old goes on the dole they have paid IN a lot of the tax they're getting back. Let's not be too harsh here.

Thats not how the system does or can function. An OAP will claim the state pension of 10400k per annum. Qualify for and use a medical card which requires a funded medical system. They will have a travel pass which requires a public transport system. Thats basic, theres other facilities then. Maybe that person ends up ina home needing 24 hour care.

Thats just at retirement. If you stop working at 50 then your adding another 15 years into the equation of 10400k per annum and medical costs and travel costs.

what if their kids went to school and college? Funded through taxes. Their kids medical costs? Funded through taxes.

even if that person never availed of a single public system in their entire working life, the balance would be tipped.

society cannot function in that way, we need people to contribute to the fund beyond what they take out or theres nothing left to cover those in genuine need and services like road maintenance, road sweepers, etc

• Advertisement

He's not on the pension he's on welfare after making the choice to not work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Welfare or Public Service....the 2 ways you don't have to work after 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

LuasSimon wrote: »
    With all thats happening in the world and many of us spending time at home is it time to get out of the rat race if it returns??
    Some of us are bored and isolated been at home but some like myself could adapt to not working and getting back to a basic life going for walks , bit of tv , home cooking, going for a frive if or when you want without all the demands of working,commuting etc etc.
    Money of course is the question , if you own your house and had some savings could one eek out an existence on welfare until a pension kicks in at 65 ?

There's a ton of people out there that don't get a choice in the matter. Many companies won't touch someone in their 50's.

Pkiernan wrote: »

Or prudent funding of your private pension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

society cannot function in that way, we need people to contribute to the fund beyond what they take out or theres nothing left to cover those in genuine need and services like road maintenance, road sweepers, etc

I would be far more critical of people who choose to "retire" early if I could actually see my tax money at work.

Just seems to flow into a black hole of ineptitude and waste right now, so I applaud anyone who can claw back the money they paid the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Dognapper

We inherited our house and don’t really spend money on much bar Christmas and that for the little ones so I reckon I’ll just be Finished working at 40 , 10 years away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Mid 40's here, would never work a day again if I didn't have to. I'd volunteer somwehere to keep some sort of structure to my daily life and actually see other people, but on my own terms.

I'd probably get bored at times, but then I'd remind myself that I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to go to some job that I hate (I've never known what I really wanted to do) and then I'd turn over in my bed and go back to sleep.

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Mid 40's here, would never work a day again if I didn't have to. I'd volunteer somwehere to keep some sort of structure to my daily life and actually see other people, but on my own terms.

I'd probably get bored at times, but them I'd remind myself that I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to go to some job that I hate (I've never known what I really wanted to do) and then I'd turn over in my bed and go back to sleep.

I'd love to volunteer or even work in a charity shop a day or two a week. That's my dream to do some good on my terms

Always think it's a bit sad when I hear people say that they'd be "bored" if they had no job to go to.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Always think it's a bit sad when I hear people say that they'd be "bored" if they had no job to go to.

I agree. You should use the time to do what you're passionate about. Interests, hobbies etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Who2

Maybe some people enjoy what they do. I personally enjoy being out and about meeting people through work. I can’t see myself ever fully retiring. I farm part time so that’s where I’m retiring to. I enjoy making money and won’t lye about it. I find it sad when people just get to the stage that they give up, arseing about a house watching tipping point is my idea of hell, complimented with a round of golf with someone who should have been brilliant only circumstances went against them or a pint with someone who was a genius until the drink got hold.
    If your financially secure enough to quit your job early then you should have the ability to create a position that will both be if it yourself and the others around you, whether that’s your children or just society in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Jimson

Who2 wrote: »
    Maybe some people enjoy what they do. I personally enjoy being out and about meeting people through work. I can’t see myself ever fully retiring. I farm part time so that’s where I’m retiring to. I enjoy making money and won’t lye about it. I find it sad when people just get to the stage that they give up, arseing about a house watching tipping point is my idea of hell, complimented with a round of golf with someone who should have been brilliant only circumstances went against them or a pint with someone who was a genius until the drink got hold.
    If your financially secure enough to quit your job early then you should have the ability to create a position that will both be if it yourself and the others around you, whether that’s your children or just society in general.

Just because you can't live without work doesn't mean others can't!

Maybe some people enjoy what they do.

Of course there are.

But the vast majority of people work in jobs they dislike or even hate. They work all week merely to makes ends meet. Yet still claim impending boredom if they hadn't got the job to go too. I've worked in a few different types of jobs in my time and have heard that said, no matter what the job was.

Thing is, getting and securing work these days is bloody difficult and it's a constant strain on people. This gets doubly so when you reach your 50's and job prospects plummet. So, I say to people, if you can retire at 50, do so. You'll soon find many ways to occupy your time if you use your mind.

Jimson wrote: »
    Just because you can't live without work doesn't mean others can't!

I didn’t say I couldn’t live without work, I just can’t see the enjoyment out of doing nothing.
    As the old saying goes it’s better to wear away than rust away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I find it sad when people just get to the stage that they give up, arseing about a house watching tipping point is my idea of hell, complimented with a round of golf with someone who should have been brilliant only circumstances went against them or a pint with someone who was a genius until the drink got hold.

In my experience, the people who end up arseing about the house are those who've built their lives around a job they don't really care for, and even though they're financially secure enough to quit, they just won't. The ones who quit are rarely bored or "doing nothing".

This whole concept of "financially secure" is a bit of a non-issue too, as is the idea that only people who are paying taxes are supporting the country. There are plenty of "non-working" people putting in thousands of hours in all kinds of associations, providing all kinds of services that the tax-payers aren't funding. If you're part of that no-income world, it's entirely possible to live comfortably on very much less than those who opt to maintain an expensive lifestyle so that they can keep paying taxes.

I didn’t say I couldn’t live without work, I just can’t see the enjoyment out of doing nothing.
    As the old saying goes it’s better to wear away than rust away.

But there's a million different things to do outside of work!
    I like my job, it's probably more then just a job, but there are so many other things I will do when I retire.
    At 54 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭del roy

Valyawl wrote: »
    How could you remain on welfare from 50-65 surely they wouldn't pay you for that long? Maybe I am being naive. !!

For some, its cradle to the grave, thousands of them out there. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Tony EH wrote: »

Nothing sad about it, life is largely about occupying oneself

In my experience, the people who end up arseing about the house are those who've built their lives around a job they don't really care for, and even though they're financially secure enough to quit, they just won't. The ones who quit are rarely bored or "doing nothing".

This whole concept of "financially secure" is a bit of a non-issue too, as is the idea that only people who are paying taxes are supporting the country. There are plenty of "non-working" people putting in thousands of hours in all kinds of associations, providing all kinds of services that the tax-payers aren't funding. If you're part of that no-income world, it's entirely possible to live comfortably on very much less than those who opt to maintain an expensive lifestyle so that they can keep paying taxes.

Maybe that’s the case somewhere but the vast majority I see just head over to lanzarote two to three times a year and do the same monotonous boring regime continuously year in year out until their time is clocked in.
    If you put a percentage on the amount who volunteers in non funded charities what would you say it is?

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    I like my job, it's probably more then just a job, but there are so many other things I will do when I retire.

Like what?
    Il be 40 next year and could retire going by what’s going on here but I don’t want to. I’ve travelled built up a small property portfolio and a fairly successful business. I intend trying something new, I don’t know what yet, but I’ve been looking into a few things and I’ll get my enjoyment out of trying to make it work. We are all cut different ways but no more than me saying it’s sad to just quit why not just diversify into something enjoyable (and it’s possible at any age). Rather than ones making out it’s sad to stay working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

My plan was win the lotto and retire at 30

Like what?

Personally?
    Travel, more education, hiking, spending time with family & friends, volunteering with teenagers & animals, picked up some new crafts lately I'll do more of them, started a new sport so will do more of that, lots more reading.
    Basically anything & everything I enjoy doing without work getting in the way !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Nothing sad about it, life is largely about occupying oneself

Thats a terrible way to look at life. Time is the most precious thing in the world. Even in lockdown theirs still loads of things to do in your free time assuming you have the internet. Bordom is only for people who are too lazy to use google.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭del roy

Personally?
    Travel, more education, hiking, spending time with family & friends, volunteering with teenagers & animals, picked up some new crafts lately I'll do more of them, started a new sport so will do more of that, lots more reading.
    Basically anything & everything I enjoy doing without work getting in the way !!

Sounds like work is getting in the way of your life. :D

Pkiernan wrote: »

Who the **** doesn't work after 50 in the public sector? 🀡 Comment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Maybe that’s the case somewhere but the vast majority I see just head over to lanzarote two to three times a year and do the same monotonous boring regime continuously year in year out until their time is clocked in.
    If you put a percentage on the amount who volunteers in non funded charities what would you say it is?

But did they ever do anything else, when they were working? There's an awful amount of people who do the same monotonous routine year-in, year-out whether they're working or not working. I'm in the fortunate position of not knowing anyone who goes to Lanzarote for their holidays :D but my own (work, nah, not today ... ) circle includes dozens of people from their 20s to their 70s who will dedicate anything from a long weekend to three or four months to someone else's project. That might be typical charity work (manning the till in a charity shop), helping prepare and run a music festival, renovating an old hotel for a non-profit association ...

The one thing that defines these people (and I'd put myself with them) is that the terms "work", "holiday" and "retirement" don't mean anything. It'd be perfectly normal for any of us to go "on holiday" while "retired" and spend three weeks working 15-hours days for no money. It's a great way to live! :cool:

PsychoPete wrote: »
    My plan was win the lotto and retire at 30

Mine was to win the prize bonds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Many jobs that were ok to work in have become unenjoyable to put it mildly as companies try to squeeze more and more out of the employee and try and get away with cutting their terms and conditions plus they normally have some young gun ( who will be shafted themselves in the future ) to do their dirty work for them .
    God help the people starting out in jobs now unless they are highly skilled . So many companies want to pay their staff as little as they can get away with .

You must be a Guard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If you own your own house you can do it,
    Buy food at Tesco or aldi
    Look on bargain alerts on boards if you need to buy a TV etc
    You can rent one room tax free up to 12k per year
    Cycle or use the bus
    Not everyone needs a car if you live in a urban area
    You should save x amount per week while you work
    Buy cloths in pennys or charity shops
    Look on reddit forum savingmoney