Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atlantic Records boss steps down over black face

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭enricoh

+100. Bunch of w@nkers. I was delighted Trudeau was made to sweat when he did it because @ssholes like him are usually the ones flapping their gums in outrage when someone does things like that.

Stormzy demanded your man be sacked apparently. Absolute thin-skinned tw@ts.

On the plus side, this git is responsible for Sheeran’s rise. Good riddance to him before he does any more damage to the music business. Pity he couldn’t take Stormzy with him.

They were on about stormzy on 2fm the other day - he's on the cover of time magazine this month apparently, good going . On about how influencial he is, a great guy that has set up a foundation to help black students.

Imagine the outcry if some white singer said that he would only help white kids. 2fm would be in meltdown!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

enricoh wrote: »
    They were on about stormzy on 2fm the other day - he's on the cover of time magazine this month apparently, good going . On about how influencial he is, a great guy that has set up a foundation to help black students.

Imagine the outcry if some white singer said that he would only help white kids. 2fm would be in meltdown!
    I can understand the black vs white racism in America because there is a 400 year history of black people being enslaved and oppressed. What I can't understand is that culture being exported all around the world and people just going along with it. There is no reason why a white person in Ireland should feel any sort of guilt over slavery just because they're white, considering Ireland never went plundering and oppressing anyone. We were too busy being oppressed ourselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

How dare he!

I wore cornrows recently cos the '90s are back in vogue and I got my hair pulled :(
    (not really. Cornrows aren't my thang.)

We have so much freedom these days but yet we don't and have to watch everything we do or say in case someone gets offended.

I'd be more liberal than conservative, but this getting offended by everything is really annoying.
    About 14 years ago my sister wanted to give me a full head of box braids. She said we could buy the hair in the African salon and do the braids ourselves. I agreed and we went along and bought the hair. The African woman didn't bat an eye and gave us tips on how to do it. It took us two days over the weekend and not one person gave me any agro over "cultural appropriation". I took them out after a week because they were too heavy and pulling on my hair at the roots. I bet if we did the same thing today I'd get loads of abusive comments because cultural appropriation is in these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,194 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

You might want to change the thread title he dressed up as a member of Run DMC.

Just for contextual sense and all that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Atlantic Records has probably done more for the black community than any other label

But ignore that fact outraged ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

This is blackface. What multi millionaire rappers are these people dressed as?

black-and-white-2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Effects wrote: »
    You sound completely fake. Enough with the racist terms.

I do hope you're having a laugh as otherwise oh dear lord jebus you are some absolute nut imo.

I agree. Sorry.

Like many terms, overuse and misuse has broadened the phrase to encapsulate anything from traditional blackface right up to a lad wearing too much fake tan on dancing with the stars.

I shouldn't have added fuel to that fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-50067203

amazing really how this can result in someone being essentially forced out of their job.

"Come as your favourite musical icon"
    "Cool, I love Run DMC plus they have a distinctive style, I'll go as one of them"

****7 years later****

RACIST!!!!!!!!

Trudeau really managed to weather his own storm. Sad that others cant.

The Diceman in Dublin was lucky he only did 'whiteface'
    Thom_McGinty_TheDiceman_DublinStreetPerformer.jpg

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Indeed. He dressed as a band he liked. He works in the music industry. How could anyone with any sense be offended by that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Will Eddie Murphy in trouble soon for his white-face SNL sketch?

:D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Meh I think I am going to dress the whole family up as the Jackson 5 for Halloween. Though this will be a challenge given we will not just have to black face but given four of us are female - and one of the females is only a few months old - we will have to adult one of them up and cross gender dress the other three.

I predict that no matter how many houses we call to for sweets - how many roads we walk down - or which house party we go to - not a single person along the way will take a shred of offense to us. I will report back either way in early November. If I forget - remind me.

Post a picture of us doing it on twitter however - and I somewhat expect the mob of the offended will descend. The twitter-verse is not the real world and the people on there do not appear to be the people we meet every day in our actual lives.
    I wonder if you dressed in black face and put whiteface makeup on to dress up as a racist black person, who would be offended first?

I wonder if you could expand upon Sheldon's (Big Bang Theory) Doppler Effect Costume by getting a group of people to black and white face themselves in such a way that when they stand in formation - they show the doppler effect.
    If blacking up is offensive to them you probably shouldn't do it.

If I stopped doing everything that some group of online people feel offended by I am not sure what I would be doing in my life any more. My relationship would have to end for a start. Many of my hobbies and social outlets would quickly follow too. Not to mention I would have to withdraw from many of things I am politically active in. And I would probably have to stop teaching and training my kids the things I spend a lot of time teaching and training them. Oh and I would have to stop eating meat too.

Once you start down the road of per-empting others offense by curtailing your own self - where do you then stop? I do not care if online people get offended by my life and choices - as it is only online people who ever seem to care.

Mostly - I mentioned awhile back I was playing with my kids in the grass in the park one day. A little old woman came up to shriek her opinion at me. I as an adult - it seems - should not be rolling around the grass with kids acting like a child - but should be standing back acting like a grown up role model. Seems adults having fun with their kids offended her. Perhaps someone should show her twitter.
    kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Like seriously, how hard is it to not black up? At no point when you're putting the face paint on do you not think, maybe no, maybe I dont need to be doing this.

Who said anything about "need"? There is no "need" to dress up at all if you are going to go down that road. When I am dressing up for a fancy dress party in any kind of costume - I do not find myself saying "maybe no I don't need to be doing this."

The question should be "Is there a reason I need _not_ to be doing this?" and so far given the number of these threads I have followed - I am not seeing one yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Generally, allowing your children on social media is the equivalent of handicapping them for the rest of their lives. Everything they do/don't do can and will be used against them down the road.

There is no upside.

Leave that wasteland behind asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,194 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Will Eddie Murphy in trouble soon for his white-face SNL sketch?

:D

No but he may get a whopping for Nutty Professor how many black face can one man do, lordy lord

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

+100. Bunch of w@nkers. I was delighted Trudeau was made to sweat when he did it because @ssholes like him are usually the ones flapping their gums in outrage when someone does things like that.

Stormzy demanded your man be sacked apparently. Absolute thin-skinned tw@ts.

On the plus side, this git is responsible for Sheeran’s rise. Good riddance to him before he does any more damage to the music business. Pity he couldn’t take Stormzy with him.

The same Stormzy who tweeted homophobic slurs.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/nov/22/stormzy-apologises-for-unearthed-homophobic-tweets

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Its different if you a Pin Up Boy for the Lefties . Then the Homophobia is Ok .

Advertisement