Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Theory Thread

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you could help me...

On flute for my next grade exam I've been playing a flute arrangement of Debussy's "Golliwogg's Cakewalk", and while it has a lot of the normal Italian terms, there are some instructions written in French. Google Translate is just giving me nonsense and I don't know anyone that speaks French, so has anyone here ever seen 'trés net et trés sec' as an instruction or note on sheet music? It'd be great if you could help me here!

(The accents on the e's go the other way btw - I don't know how to get them to come up that way on my laptop, sorry.)

Oh and in case any of you are familiar with the actual score, the arrangement I'm playing is from 'Claude Debussy: Eight Selected Pieces for Flute and Piano' arranged by Peter Kolman. Thanks (:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you could help me...

On flute for my next grade exam I've been playing a flute arrangement of Debussy's "Golliwogg's Cakewalk", and while it has a lot of the normal Italian terms, there are some instructions written in French. Google Translate is just giving me nonsense and I don't know anyone that speaks French, so has anyone here ever seen 'trés net et trés sec' as an instruction or note on sheet music? It'd be great if you could help me here!

(The accents on the e's go the other way btw - I don't know how to get them to come up that way on my laptop, sorry.)

Oh and in case any of you are familiar with the actual score, the arrangement I'm playing is from 'Claude Debussy: Eight Selected Pieces for Flute and Piano' arranged by Peter Kolman. Thanks (:

It means very sharp and neat Sky. Not sure why it would emphasize that. I don't play the flute myself but at a guess maybe it means to play that section in short sharp notes, rather than fluid notes running in to each other? I guess listen to the piece and see if that matches up.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

strobe wrote: »
    It means very sharp and neat Sky. Not sure why it would emphasize that. I don't play the flute myself but at a guess maybe it means to play that section in short sharp notes, rather than fluid notes running in to each other? I guess listen to the piece and see if that matches up.

Thanks so much, makes perfect sense with the piece. That's great (:
    I like your signature too. Although I think I'd get kicked out of my house if I did as you suggest. Honesty will have to wait until I turn eighteen this autumn.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Anyone recommend good books that start from basic to advanced theory. Playing bass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Yakult wrote: »
    Anyone recommend good books that start from basic to advanced theory. Playing bass.

They are not books, but here are two sites that I found very helpful.

http://www.billygreen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Music%20Theory%20-%20Basic,%20Intermediate,%20Advanced.pdf

www.studybass.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Tec Diver

I know this is an OLD question, but I've seen this in classical guitar music a few times now. Starting in the key of E, then go to Em, then back to E. Or similar in another key moving to the parallel minor key and back again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Tec Diver

In relation to theory books; my guitar teacher recommended I start with the ABRSM grades, then switch to RIAM after grade 5. His rationale was that ABRSM are really good books and exams at the earlier grades (I did up to G4 theory with them), but then there a big jump in requirements from 5 to 6.

I'd also check out Victoria Williams, she has a YouTube channel and a website with grade level courses you can sign up for (for a fee). I emailed her a theory question once and she replied the same day.

Advertisement