Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piano Pathways in Ireland

Options
  • 21-04-2018 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hey I am looking for anyone who can shed light on the structured and formal pathways of learning the Piano in Ireland.
    To give an example DIT have Keyboard Studies and their own in-house grading system(at least I think it's in-house).
    Seperate to that, The Royal Irish Academy of Music have their own route.
    Also there are private tutors providing lessons to get students ready for exams.
    Please keep in mind I am not talking about getting lessons for the sake of learning an instrument, I am talking about formal education in Piano with the aim of potentially acquiring the ability to play professionally.

My main question is this; Who comes up with these exams, what weight do they carry(if any) and do they all follow the same syllabus. Similar to a state exam which, regardless of your school or college, will be the same all over the country. How is it structured and is their some international music body who can accredit your exams etc.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed light on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭PopSensyDad

Just a personal opinion.

The most accredited grade systems in classical piano may be ABRSM, Guildhall and DIT Conservatory around here. Different people, different weights, different syllabuses, but they are all proper systems. The completion of grade is just a start point. Frankly speaking, DIT or RIAM or private is a secondary matter.

I would imagine you are not the person aiming pianist... The candidate will finish any Grade 8 (then performance degrees likely) in case of classical music, as this is the most standard pathway. About the actual delivery of grading assessment, you should contact the bodies rather than asking here.

If popular music, play play play. Selling name is equally important. By the way, please do not forget about the studio musicians. They are not under the spot light but producing lots of music in any style at a certain degree.

Being a professional or not is a real "story in horizon", as you already said as "potentially". The skills and knowledge confirmed by the grades are just few of the qualities required to be a professional performer. As you know, many become professional pianists without a grade. Many cannot even with a master or even PhD.

Anyway, it is true that a life with music is a beautiful life, regardless of professional or not. Why not just starting.

Incidentally, the most of successful professional classical pianists have awards in major competitions. For beginners, EPTA may be a good entry. In case of popular musicians, good repetition in live performance, recording, publication, sales etc. Experience speaks a lot in the domain. In case the candidate needs a clear aim, the above are the things to aim.

I hope the above is useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭userfriendly2

Thanks a lot. I appreciate you taking the time to reply and you definitely helped clarify a few things.

Advertisement