Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts on this floor plan?

• 17-06-2019 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi All,

I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are on these GFL floor plans?

The pdf document is our architect's first draft, and the jpeg attachment is a rough revision drawn up by a friend of mine (engineer).

The architect has a lot more glass at the back of the house (south facing), which i know would cost a lot more. He also put the home office in a place we aren't at all comfortable with, and had the downstairs toilet inside the front door (not happy with this either).

Would just like to gauge people's thoughts on both of these ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi All,

I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are on these GFL floor plans?

The pdf document is our architect's first draft, and the jpeg attachment is a rough revision drawn up by a friend of mine (engineer).

The architect has a lot more glass at the back of the house (south facing), which i know would cost a lot more. He also put the home office in a place we aren't at all comfortable with, and had the downstairs toilet inside the front door (not happy with this either).

Would just like to gauge people's thoughts on both of these ideas?

Means of escape in the image is from the Living Room is through the Kitchen, the most likely place a fire will start in the home. I wouldn't be happy with that.
    Also the plant room under the stairs in the image. This would be another high risk area from a fire safety point of view. The stairs in the primary means of escape from the bedrooms, so you may require the stairs to be fire rated/protected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

Why lock off the sitting room? Personally I like large open spaces, would include the sitting room in the kitchen/dining are by taking out that small wall. Light and space would increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

NSAman wrote: »
    Why lock off the sitting room? Personally I like large open spaces, would include the sitting room in the kitchen/dining are by taking out that small wall. Light and space would increase.

I'm in favour of separating the sitting room, that room strikes me a good space to lock yourself away with a film/football match, I don't want to hear the kettle boiling every 20 mins. The kitchen has plenty of space/seating with island and dining table. Also good for keeping sound from the sitting room getting to the living room down the end.

I'm not pro but I like that layout, OP. I don't like the pdf document at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 KingKauto

We have just completed our floor plans for our build and one of the adjustments that we had to make from the inital draft was to increase the size of the plant room. This had to be increased to allow for the space that the heat pump and mvhr system that we are going with as depending on the heat pump you select this can take up a lot of space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Utility room seems very disconnected from the kitchen. Personally think the utility needs to be directly off the kitchen.

• Advertisement

theteal wrote: »
    I'm in favour of separating the sitting room, that room strikes me a good space to lock yourself away with a film/football match, I don't want to hear the kettle boiling every 20 mins. The kitchen has plenty of space/seating with island and dining table. Also good for keeping sound from the sitting room getting to the living room down the end.

I'm not pro but I like that layout, OP. I don't like the pdf document at all.

the separate Sitting room would provide this use.
    I would also open up the Living Room into the Kitchen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Utility room seems very disconnected from the kitchen. Personally think the utility needs to be directly off the kitchen.

Agreed. Plus its too small..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

knipex wrote: »
    Agreed. Plus its too small..

I'd also have the plant room as part of the utility and get it off the kitchen for sure.

Can I show my inexperience of this stuff and ask why? Machines in here tend to be noisy, no? I'd have no issue with shunting it off into the corner with easy access to the stairs and the back/side door (where the bundles of laundry will come from and go out to the line).

Can I show my inexperience of this stuff and ask why? Machines in here tend to be noisy, no? I'd have no issue with shunting it off into the corner with easy access to the stairs and the back/side door (where the bundles of laundry will come from and go out to the line).

Yeah it’s a personal thing and it depends on how you see a utility room functioning.
    For me, it’s an addition to the kitchen, where you put some kitchen related “utilities” into it, that you don’t need to have to hand all the time, but still want them conveniently close. So for example, I’d put a larder freezer in there and just a fridge in the kitchen itself. Or a tall press with your sweeping brushes, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,838 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

id disagree.

There is nothing wrong with keeping the utility separate and removed from the kitchen, especially if the kitchen / living area is located to maximise views and sunlight.

absorbing the utility back into this space could jeopardise these important factors... for what i would consider to be a very minimal gain.

In my experience most of the time you are going into the utility its from the kitchen or kitchen related.

But even if you want to keep it there is is far too small.
    By the time you have added in washing machine etc and then somewhere to store coats/boots etc there will be no floor space left, especially once a clothes horse or 2 are laid out.
    Its also where the hoover and basically all the clutter/crap will go, so you will always be going there.

I'm guessing the evening sun will come in the patio into the sliding doors area?
    If so you could "just" swap the sitting room and utility...but I havent looked at the 2nd storey so not sure what you are doing regarding supporting walls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SelfBuild2019

GreeBo wrote: »
    In my experience most of the time you are going into the utility its from the kitchen or kitchen related.

By the time you have added in washing machine etc and then somewhere to store coats/boots etc there will be no floor space left, especially once a clothes horse or 2 are laid out.
    Its also where the hoover and basically all the clutter/crap will go, so you will always be going there.

I'm guessing the evening sun will come in the patio into the sliding doors area?
    If so you could "just" swap the sitting room and utility...but I havent looked at the 2nd storey so not sure what you are doing regarding supporting walls etc.

Yes the evening sun will be coming in to that area

For clarity's sake, i've attached the upstairs plan as it currently looks. We will be making the main bathroom bigger, and Bedroom 3 smaller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

What's the difference between the sitting room and the living room?

If your just using it as a laundry room then fine but in my house (and most that I know of) they turn into an offshoot of the kitchen. or a combination, pantry, boot room, laundry room, store and plant room.

Especially if you want "clean countertops". All the stuff that used to be kept on the countertop ends up in the utility. Within 6 months we moved the dishwasher into the utility and put in a sink.

If I had my way again I would double in the size of the utility, and add more full height storage space.

arctictree wrote: »

Back in the 80's when I grew up, one of them was the posh room that us messy kids weren't allowed into :D

Back in the 80's when I grew up, one of them was the posh room that us messy kids weren't allowed into :D

The "good room" :D:D:D

All joking aside,. Keep one of them closed off and open the other into the kitchen, It will amaze you how much time you spend as a family in the kitchen and you will still have a room you can go into, close the door and lock yourself, or yourself and the missus, away.

If your just using it as a laundry room then fine but in my house (and most that I know of) they turn into an offshoot of the kitchen. or a combination, pantry, boot room, laundry room, store and plant room.

Especially if you want "clean countertops". All the stuff that used to be kept on the countertop ends up in the utility. Within 6 months we moved the dishwasher into the utility and put in a sink.

If I had my way again I would double in the size of the utility, and add more full height storage space.

I get it's additional uses but considering there's already a pantry connected to the kitchen in the OP, I like the idea of it being away from the communal parts of the house. The only noisy appliance in the kitchen then would be the dishwasher but that only goes on at night so it doesn't disturb during the day. The back/side door is over there so it'll work as boot/dirty room too and not be near the nice patio.

arctictree wrote: »

I have the same in my house. I created a small sitting room that’s kept closed most of the time. Stove and late night relaxing goes on in there.

While at the same time creating a large open plan living room, kitchen, diner where all the family sh1t gets done.

It’s always good to have the posh room that kids are barred from :)

kceire wrote: »
    I have the same in my house. I created a small sitting room that’s kept closed most of the time. Stove and late night relaxing goes on in there.

While at the same time creating a large open plan living room, kitchen, diner where all the family sh1t gets done.

It’s always good to have the posh room that kids are barred from :)

Thats what people are recommending and what his architect had drawn but in the revised drawing there are 3 separate, distinct walled off areas. kitchen \ dining, sitting and living rooms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

sydthebeat wrote: »
    id disagree.

There is nothing wrong with keeping the utility separate and removed from the kitchen, especially if the kitchen / living area is located to maximise views and sunlight.

absorbing the utility back into this space could jeopardise these important factors... for what i would consider to be a very minimal gain.

Having constructed utility myself and using it a year.

You obviously have no experience of dragging dirty dishes or anything else from the kitchen to the dishwasher in it.

Utility should be as close to the kitchen as you can get it.

And you can do it that way easily off plans at this stage with no impact to views

The proper size for a utility room is 2 to 3 times what you design it to be.

Itsv where everything goes that's not in the attic or garage.

I'd say it's the working room of the house, far more than the kitchen.

Clothes dryers take up huge space, look into getting s ceiling mounted one.

listermint wrote: »

You obviously have no experience of dragging dirty dishes or anything else from the kitchen to the dishwasher in it.

And you can do it that way easily off plans at this stage with no impact to views

Wouldn't you put a dishwasher close to the sink? Just a thought, his utility room is fine. It can be used as a mud room also. I personally, would have the laundry upstairs to save on the dragging of items downstairs...;)

I get it's additional uses but considering there's already a pantry connected to the kitchen in the OP, I like the idea of it being away from the communal parts of the house. The only noisy appliance in the kitchen then would be the dishwasher but that only goes on at night so it doesn't disturb during the day. The back/side door is over there so it'll work as boot/dirty room too and not be near the nice patio.

Dishwashers and dryers are fire hazards. Leading causes of house fires don't run them when people are asleep.

It's a bit silly to have a sink in the kitchen and a dishwater in the utility, to be fair.

And unless you know the site intimately, you cannot say that views and sunlight won't be effected

GreeBo wrote: »

Solid idea.

I'd move the utility to the sitting room and move the same square footage sitting room to that corner.

Nice to have a Nook away from the rest of the house. And you can still retain its view down to the patio with no impact.

It's a bit silly to have a sink in the kitchen and a dishwater in the utility, to be fair.

And unless you know the site intimately, you cannot say that views and sunlight won't be effected

It's silly to have a sink and dishwasher in a utility.

Do you know what a utility is...
    Have I entered a parallel universe where people don't have a breeze...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Just a world where different people use their utility room for different things.

Ours is essentially a laundry room, given the choice it would be close to the bottom of the stairs or upstairs.

Graham wrote: »
    Just a world where different people use their utility room for different things.

Ours is essentially a laundry room, given the choice it would be close to the bottom of the stairs or upstairs.

You don't have a sink in your laundry room ?!?

• Advertisement

You should allways have a sink in the utility...

You should allways have a sink in the utility...

I don't think you can physically call it a utility room without one.

Otherwise it's just a closet with the washing machine in it

:D

You don't have a sink in your laundry room ?!?

Nope, plumbing is there for it but never bothered to fit one.

We got these fancy machines for washing clothes now so no need for the sink and laundry board. :D

Graham wrote: »
    Nope, plumbing is there for it but never bothered to fit one.

We got these fancy machines for washing clothes now so no need for the sink and laundry board. :D

Yet to see a machine soak out stained clothes or baby crap ;)

Who actually carries dirty plates from a kitchen to a utility???

That's the height of silliness in my opinion.

It's silly to have a sink and dishwasher in a utility.

Do you not have a sink in your kitchen??

• Advertisement

Yet to see a machine soak out stained clothes or baby crap ;)

Not an issue for us.

You'd be surprised what people use their utility room for. Recently came across an oven & hob in a utility, the homeowner preferred them not to be on display in the kitchen!

Completely suited the way they used their kitchen.

I do the utility is right beside the cooking area

We put all our large pots and cleaning stuff in there to clean at our Leisure.

It keeps our Belfast sink and our entire kitchen area clean with guests and looks nice.

A utility room is just that. It's a working room

I don't know why this is hard to understand. It's not a new concept..type in utility room into Google press images option and try locate a utility with no sink in it.

Actually sounds more like a scullery.....

Sounds like it needs a good oulde scrubbing..;)

Actually, a butlers pantry is more what it sounds like... the kitchen (working space) behind the actual kitchen that all the work takes place in, keeping the kitchen spotless for guests to admire.... while some poor slave works flat out...(ducking)

Sounds like your jealous of a fully functional utility room so try to take folks down to your non utility room level.

• Advertisement

Dishwasher should be as close to the main sink in the kitchen as possible in my opinion.
    Having the dishwasher in another room off the kitchen is madness, again in my opinion.

kceire wrote: »
    Dishwasher should be as close to the main sink in the kitchen as possible in my opinion.
    Having the dishwasher in another room off the kitchen is madness, again in my opinion.

Distance from main sink. 2 meters behind a door no noise. Works perfect for us . I designed it that way. Could have put it next to the main sink but then I'd have dishwasher noise in an entertaining area . Nah.

I don't know why this is hard to understand. It's not a new concept..type in utility room into Google press images option and try locate a utility with no sink in it.

You said dishwasher in your original post. I think that’s what people are questioning. Not a sink in a utility, that’s normal.

Distance from main sink. 2 meters behind a door no noise. Works perfect for us . I designed it that way. Could have put it next to the main sink but then I'd have dishwasher noise in an entertaining area . Nah.

And there’s nothing wrong with that. In 20 years designing houses and extensions, your the first person I’ve ever come across that wanted their dishwasher plumbed into a utility room away from the kitchen.

Washing machines and dryers yes, every day, but the dishwasher has always been placed near the main kitchen sink.

Backs up every bodies point I suppose, horses for courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

This reminds me of the family who built a new house besides the old house. They still did all their cooking in the old house so the new kitchen wouldn't get dirty.

I like cooking so for me kitchen has to be functional, having to carry pots, cups and cutlery to another room negates that. Separate dining room would be just as practical then.

It's handy to have utility room of kitchen and accessible from outside. Dirty boots and heavy items can be dragged through there. I can see the attraction of one sitting room that's kept clean but if there are budget constraints I'd rather loose a room than big windows. Big kitchen/dining room could otherwise feel a bit pokey.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SelfBuild2019

Thanks all for the comments. Didn't mean to start an argument about utility rooms : )

We are trying to figure out how we can open out the Sitting Room, as i think that the Living Room would be where I'd spend most of my leisure time. I like the feeling of being in a quiet enclosed room when watching a match/movie. My wife isn't sure on the kitchen sink being where it is either, as that window is facing onto the road. It's a quiet, local road, but she still doesn't like the idea of people looking in at her washing the dishes!

With regard the utility room, this will definitely be made bigger, but we don't feel the need to have it next to the kitchen.

OP, look what you started! :D

Anybody got any further advice?
    I like it but have not looked at measurements in any detail and have zero building experience so my opinion is fairly moot.

a fairly minor detail but in your living room you have a window behind your TV. Not sure if that works too well? You won't be able to wall mount the TV and the window will be nearly blocked off by it. And looking from the outside in, you'll see a nest of wires behind the TV ;)

a fairly minor detail but in your living room you have a window behind your TV. Not sure if that works too well? You won't be able to wall mount the TV and the window will be nearly blocked off by it. And looking from the outside in, you'll see a nest of wires behind the TV ;)

Actually I did pick up on that also, TVs blocking windows are a bugbear. Is that a fireplace to the left of the proposed TV location? I don't like TVs mounted over fires (new TVs have enough of a job dissipating heat as is) but if there's no fire there, I'd have the TV on that wall.

I don't think TV's in the corner work anymore either. That was fine and dandy when a TV took 3 men to lift into place. Modern flat panels work better on a flat wall imo, not stuck into the corner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement